• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tightening tracks on a D5M

Rickyb1968

Ok i have gotten around to counting the pads and i have 44 on both sides. Do they make a special wrench to get to the top bolt? Cant get a socket on it and a wrench is to big to turn inside. Its a 22mm. Manual states to loosen top bolt one full turn to let grease out and then tighten back up and add grease to get correct track sag.

Attachments

• IMG_3503.jpeg
    IMG_3503.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Ok i have gotten around to counting the pads and i have 44 on both sides.
That confirms the tracks haven’t been shortened by removing a link which is often the case on older machines as an alternative to replacing the complete link assembly.
Do they make a special wrench to get to the top bolt?
An open-end wrench should loosen it. It shouldn’t be that tight.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Nige, that bolt should turn counter clockwise to loosen correct?
That's correct. It's actually a bolt with a conical end on it that screws into a mating seat in the block. The specified torque is only 26 ft lbs.

Not a very good illustration but it gives you the idea. That's the two fittings on the adjuster.

1696272215343.png

Last edited: