• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thunderbird Yarders, Loaders, and Etc from the Murray's in Eugene Oregon

johnson

From BlitzTransport.com use to be a great sie for logging and trucking pictures but looks like they shut it down

Weyco PeEll yarder 440 SN 9057
440 9057 (1).jpg440 9057 (2).jpg
Weyco PeEll yarder 449 SN 9052
449 9052 (1).jpg449 9052 (2).jpg

Last edited:

johnson

furpo

Hello Paul L

I'm guessing that this was #7 which at some point was owned by Moutere Logging in Nelson. The current owner is Graham Tuckey here in Wellington. I posted a few pictures up a while ago. Can you provide a bit more history about this machine?

Paul L

It was Dale Ewers. Before that Mark Ewers had it for a few years. Beyond Mark I don't know where it came from. I think this one has had many owners and operators. It's not great or pretty, but will pull enough until you can get something better. Tagline drum did not work so we only highlead or scab. Mark had this psy200 plus a 071 when I worked for him.

furpo

A common problem with them is that they break the flange out of the main pulling drum. This machine was repaired by welding the drum flange to the slackpuller and is still like this today. After it left Nelson it spent some time in Gissy then sat at Cables in Rotorua. Tuckey picked it up from Cables. Ill have to ask Bruce Ewers if this machine was one that came in with Derrick Woods as he brought a whole bunch of them in.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Murk,would this be your seat at this time?

It is, last couple of years. Were up above Horne Lake on the Beaforts, Island Timberlands area 3700 ft. coming down in a week or so before the white stuff comes. Moving out to Beaver Creek again good winter show.

oneadam24

Does anyone have any information on a Thunderbird 946? I work on the Illinois river and have seen one. I have seen it at various times either on a barge dredging or doing salvage work. I have recently seen it on land unloading barges. It has a boom and two stick configuration. I am having trouble finding information about it. Thanks for any info!

Back choker

image.jpg 155 and 946 Sullivan river golden bc.Dale Malloch running the yarder Steve Malloch on the 235c backspar,Stephen Benson on the loader and Dale Erskine bucking.1995

Last edited: