1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Thunderbird Yarders, Loaders, and Etc from the Murray's in Eugene Oregon

Discussion in 'Forestry Equipment' started by Contract Logger, Jan 19, 2010.

1. DonnyBoy553

DonnyBoy553 Member

Here are some pictures with the yarding drums. There were originally only going to be two drums with 5/8ths, but my grandpa insisted that they add a straw line drum for the guys in the brush. IMG_2869.jpg IMG_2870.jpg IMG_2871.jpg IMG_2872.jpg IMG_2873.jpg

72hayes and John Shipp like this.
  2. theironoracle

theironoracle Senior Member

OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
    These are great pictures. I like the kenworth picture pulling that machine around on the lowboy I have a soft spot for c-500's. That picture of that shovel with the lines out pulling logs would look great on a shop office wall. Thanks for sharing....TIO

Ice likes this.
  3. JPV

JPV Senior Member

Here is a rare bird, looks nearly extinct but not quite! 20170213_133851.jpg 20170213_133806.jpg

John Shipp, Scott_527 and 72hayes like this.
  4. theironoracle

theironoracle Senior Member

OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
    Thanks for sharing. I remember 20-ish years ago bidding (unsuccessfully) on one like this at an auction at Cowlitz Stud? Maybe it was this one? This looks a lot like an 840/842 loader I worked on in years past. It had a cummins m-11 engine in it. TIO

5. JPV

JPV Senior Member

This one belongs to Jerry Debriae, I think he has had it since new and I believe it has an 400 cummins if I remember right, it is the only Thunderbird roadbuilder I have ever seen. I have no idea how many were built. It has spent the last several years in the pit loading trucks and I guess there are several side boards laying around because the bucket is only slightly narrower then the box and the controls are not that great anymore.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  6. camptramp

camptramp Senior Member

Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
    Boulder Bill . scan595.jpg

72hayes likes this.
  7. HDX

HDX Senior Member

Picture taken in the top of Cameron shop yard The garage sale had started The HDX frame in the background is or at least was H59 A 1973 HDX Conventional The 988 was one of the China Creek DLS machines being sold. The log loader was a MARS Contracting machine also the front end showing the 849RF Kenworth ramp truck they used

8. furpo

furpo Senior Member

Here is an update on s5087. The old girl has had a lot of love lately. Latest is an upgrade to the slew motor mounting

Attached Files:

72hayes, TorkelH and Roadswitcher like this.
  9. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
    There were a few of the big Tbird road builders made. Most were converted into shovels as they had so much power that they tore the booms off of them easily.

Jerrys is the last one in existence

10. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
    Yessir, I am in the process of getting a BU-94/T-100HDSP as we speak.

TorkelH likes this.
  11. furpo

furpo Senior Member

S5087 getting a bit more love. This time sorting the chaincase leaks, new strawline bearings and cleaning all the grease of the strawline clutch.

Attached Files:

12. Murk100

Murk100 Senior Member

30 yrs GY Operator

13. furpo

furpo Senior Member

Thanks Murk. Been keeping an eye on what you have been up to. Loving the boom and tower upgrades. Are you guys auto shifting the transmission? Been thinking about that for our machine.

We are not the only ones down here running the grapple on the 255. The Olsen machine has been grappling for quite some time and is the first I know off. Last I seen of that machine it was still three lever too. Lou Prince has been grappling with his as well.

We are not as far ahead with the modifications as I would like to be as we have been getting on top of the maintenance first. Do have a grapple camera on the way.

Does anyone happen to know the brand and model for the travel controls for the 255? I have a leaking one. I wish the Thunderbird parts manuals had the OEM part numbers for these things and not the Thunderbird ones. Also have the files for the profile cutter if anyone is interested in coping my slew mounting.

14. hoechucker

hoechucker Well-Known Member

There was a road builder in a chip yard in chehalis wa. I think it was about 6-7 years ago.they had several Thunderbird shovels and the one road builder.everything they had was beat like they were mad at it so it could have been scrapped since then

15. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
    Most all of that iron came from JB Leonard. He used it to the fullest!

16. Murk100

Murk100 Senior Member

30 yrs GY Operator
    Hello Furpo, that would be a handful operating with the 3 levers. I have a Falcon Grapple camera for about a year now and loving it.
    We have had no problem with the swing motor mount lots of problems with the gear reduction though.
    With the trans Twin Disc monk.. I can shift up on the fly like 3rd through 5th but no down shifting without backing off on the throttle to hard on it.

17. duff duff

duff duff New Member

Heavy mech
    IMG_0812.JPG IMG_0811.JPG IMG_1839.JPG Removing the wheeled carrier and fitted a tracked undercarrige

furpo, 72hayes, TorkelH and 2 others like this.
  18. furpo

furpo Senior Member

19. furpo

furpo Senior Member

20. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
    Any owner history on number 9043?