1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Thumb Design

Discussion in 'Compact Equipment Attachments' started by Squizzy246B, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B Administrator

Digger Driver
    I'd be greatful if anybody could post pics of their thumbs...(Thats HYDRAULIC thumbs for you clowns:yup ...I can see all the pics of operators digits turning up:rolleyes: ).

I am not going to order my new mini with a thumb but rather I have been looking at designs and will get me local guy to fabricate something for me.

For whatever dumb reason thumbs are not so popular down under:confused: and I don't think that many of the machine shops the dealers use have a lot of experience in making them. I'm really after the details of the hinge and attachment points.

TIA

2. xkvator

xkvator Senior Member

:thumbsup...i have Bobcat's hydraulic thumb on my 331...i couldn't imagine having to get off and put it in work position every time i need to use it.

3. Squizzy246B

Digger Driver
    Thats what I have gathered. I used a 312 with a factory thumb awhile back and that was enough to convince me not to have another excavator without a hydraulic thumb. I have a big pitched stone wall to build shortly and I aint going to lift all those boondies up there by hand. Do you have any pics?.

4. Ford LT-9000

Ford LT-9000 Banned

Rolling around in the dirt
  5. Squizzy246B

Digger Driver
    Thank you very much, appreciated.

6. Squizzy246B

Digger Driver
    I have these but I don't like all the welding around the end of the stick. The hinged design seems much better off the pin:

Attached Files:

7. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    Ok...

Attached Files:

8. Squizzy246B

Digger Driver
    Hey, I didn't take the photo, I pinched that of a US website...and haven't you got a bed to go to?? or has Mrs Digger kicked you out again?:rolleyes:

9. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    Monday morning, the Kobelco 70 I sometimes operate is getting a manual thumb. I'll be sure to get some pics.

I kinda like the ones LT posted with the thumb attached to the main bucket pin, instead of welded to the bottom of the boom...

10. Squizzy246B

Digger Driver
    Me Too:yup

11. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    And yes, I do have a bed to go to. Mrs. Digger is working the midnight shift tonight though, so I won't have any company. :(

(And since I'm not a truck driver, my chances of finding any at this hour are pretty slim...) :rolleyes:

:laugh

12. Ford LT-9000

Ford LT-9000 Banned

All the ones I posted are made by the same manufacture of the quick connects. The thumb does pivot off the bottom of the stick the same shaft holds the quick connect.

Pretty well all of the excavators sold in B.C. come with a bare stick no buckets so the customer chooses who evers quick connect it gets put on the machine.

Manufacturers here make all the parts to fit and can ship it too you and you install the quick connect system. The only problem you need to buy the quick connect buckets.

13. CascadeScaper

CascadeScaper Senior Member

2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
    LT9000, is Accurate popular up there? I keep seeing more and more Hitachi's down here with Accurate thumbs, buckets, and couplers. Where are they out of?

14. Dwan Hall

Dwan Hall Senior Member

Self Employed
    I'll try to get out to mine later today and take some pictures. It is a "PSM" brand and like Accurate pivot on the bucket pin. There is also a pressure valve in line so you can adjust the closing pressure. I have mine adjusted so the bucket curl just overrides the thumb.
    In choosing a thumb make sure it is narrower then the smallest bucket you plan on using. if not you limit your digging depth to the thumb with. There are also progressive linkage thumbs which allow the thumb greater movement or a longer travel but I have no experience with them.
    An excavator without a thumb is only 1/2 a machine.

Dwan

15. Ford LT-9000

Ford LT-9000 Banned

Accurate manufacturing is in Surrey B.C. which is near Vancouver they are a smaller company compared to CWS. Accurate builds good stuff its pretty much the same as CWS.

I forgot Weldco Beales makes thumbs aswell and buckets etc.

16. atgreene

atgreene Senior Member

Mine is a pin on style. If I had it to do over again it would be a weld on. My old weld-on style had a bigger opening and allowed me to move larger objects.

17. xkvator

xkvator Senior Member

18. will_gurt

will_gurt Charter Member

operator in extended holding pattern

WELL????????? MR. DIGGER, How'd the install go???? How about resizing them photos you took of the install this morning.

19. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    How about you be patient? I've got a picture of you from about 15 years ago I've been thinking about posting. :yup

Besides, you neglected to bring me a can of pop to practice on....

:bouncegri

20. Squizzy246B

Digger Driver
    No way...produce the goods:rolleyes: :cool: