• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thumb Design

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I'd be greatful if anybody could post pics of their thumbs...(Thats HYDRAULIC thumbs for you clowns:yup ...I can see all the pics of operators digits turning up:rolleyes: ).

I am not going to order my new mini with a thumb but rather I have been looking at designs and will get me local guy to fabricate something for me.

For whatever dumb reason thumbs are not so popular down under:confused: and I don't think that many of the machine shops the dealers use have a lot of experience in making them. I'm really after the details of the hinge and attachment points.

TIA

xkvator

:thumbsup...i have Bobcat's hydraulic thumb on my 331...i couldn't imagine having to get off and put it in work position every time i need to use it.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Thats what I have gathered. I used a 312 with a factory thumb awhile back and that was enough to convince me not to have another excavator without a hydraulic thumb. I have a big pitched stone wall to build shortly and I aint going to lift all those boondies up there by hand. Do you have any pics?.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I have these but I don't like all the welding around the end of the stick. The hinged design seems much better off the pin:

Attachments

• HydThumb1.jpg
    HydThumb1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 4,545
  • HydThumb4.jpg
    HydThumb4.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 3,831
  • HydThumb5.jpg
    HydThumb5.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 4,680
  • HydThumb6.jpg
    HydThumb6.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 3,902

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Hey, I didn't take the photo, I pinched that of a US website...and haven't you got a bed to go to?? or has Mrs Digger kicked you out again?:rolleyes:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Monday morning, the Kobelco 70 I sometimes operate is getting a manual thumb. I'll be sure to get some pics.

I kinda like the ones LT posted with the thumb attached to the main bucket pin, instead of welded to the bottom of the boom...

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
And yes, I do have a bed to go to. Mrs. Digger is working the midnight shift tonight though, so I won't have any company. :(

(And since I'm not a truck driver, my chances of finding any at this hour are pretty slim...) :rolleyes:

:laugh

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
All the ones I posted are made by the same manufacture of the quick connects. The thumb does pivot off the bottom of the stick the same shaft holds the quick connect.

Pretty well all of the excavators sold in B.C. come with a bare stick no buckets so the customer chooses who evers quick connect it gets put on the machine.

Manufacturers here make all the parts to fit and can ship it too you and you install the quick connect system. The only problem you need to buy the quick connect buckets.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
LT9000, is Accurate popular up there? I keep seeing more and more Hitachi's down here with Accurate thumbs, buckets, and couplers. Where are they out of?

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I'll try to get out to mine later today and take some pictures. It is a "PSM" brand and like Accurate pivot on the bucket pin. There is also a pressure valve in line so you can adjust the closing pressure. I have mine adjusted so the bucket curl just overrides the thumb.
In choosing a thumb make sure it is narrower then the smallest bucket you plan on using. if not you limit your digging depth to the thumb with. There are also progressive linkage thumbs which allow the thumb greater movement or a longer travel but I have no experience with them.
An excavator without a thumb is only 1/2 a machine.

Dwan

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Accurate manufacturing is in Surrey B.C. which is near Vancouver they are a smaller company compared to CWS. Accurate builds good stuff its pretty much the same as CWS.

I forgot Weldco Beales makes thumbs aswell and buckets etc.

atgreene

Mine is a pin on style. If I had it to do over again it would be a weld on. My old weld-on style had a bigger opening and allowed me to move larger objects.

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
digger242j said:
Monday morning, the Kobelco 70 I sometimes operate is getting a manual thumb. I'll be sure to get some pics.

I kinda like the ones LT posted with the thumb attached to the main bucket pin, instead of welded to the bottom of the boom...

WELL????????? MR. DIGGER, How'd the install go???? How about resizing them photos you took of the install this morning.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
WELL????????? MR. DIGGER, How'd the install go???? How about resizing them photos you took of the install this morning.

How about you be patient? I've got a picture of you from about 15 years ago I've been thinking about posting. :yup

Besides, you neglected to bring me a can of pop to practice on....

:bouncegri