• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thumb Design

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
digger242j said:
How about you be patient? I've got a picture of you from about 15 years ago I've been thinking about posting. :yup

Besides, you neglected to bring me a can of pop to practice on....

:bouncegri

I have very little patience SO YOU BETTER HURRY!:roll

Was I suppose to bring this soda for you to drink??? I liked what you did to the ones that you brought today,it sorta resaemmbled this smiley :bash

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Ya know, you two, the best way to get me NOT to do something is to nag me about doing it. Ask Mrs. Digger. I can be very contrary... :nono

:cool2

Jeff D.

digger242j said:
Ya know, you two, the best way to get me NOT to do something is to nag me about doing it.
I learned that in the "WWII week-end" thread.:yup
digger242j said:
Ask Mrs. Digger. I can be very contrary...
And how well has that approach been working for you??:rolleyes: It's been my experience that a women can take that to a level that the "man brain" can't even comprehend.:crying

Last edited:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I had all intentions of this being a serious thread:Banghead

but since Digger has interjected..or rather been unable to salvage some form of repute through his inadequacies with the digital camera....then I'll have to revert to begging:rolleyes: :)

Does anybody else have some good Hydraulic thumb pics??...Please if not...just post away with your holiday pics...and Jeff...don't sweat it too much..most but not all of the gene pool does have an opposible thumb...its what spearates us upright walking bipeds from the truck driv.....errr...the other primates.:rolleyes: :wink2 :bouncegri

Last edited:

tylermckee

my left thumb is double jointed, ill snap a pic later today. It helps me pick up odd shaped objects sometimes.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
...but since Digger has interjected..or rather been unable to salvage some form of repute...

I can salvage all the ill repute you want... :yup

Besides, I didn't necessarily say I was going to post those pics here. I might start a new thread about manual thumbs, or I might post them to an entirely different website, and let you all google for them. :)

To get more or less back on topic, having used the fixed thumb for most of yestersday and today, it was certainly helpful, but now I'd really like a hydraulic one...

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
tylermckee said:
my left thumb is double jointed, ill snap a pic later today. It helps me pick up odd shaped objects sometimes.

Thats weird, my left thumb is double jointed but only for opening...it goes past 90 deg :confused:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
have you read some of the threads you have been participating in latley

Certainly NOT! I find that trying to follow the discussion only distracts me as I compose my replies... :yup

Jeff D.

Squizzy246B said:
.......have you read some of the threads you have been participating in latley:eek: :wink2 :bouncegri
Yes, many of us certainly have made a new standard for "reaching bottom".:bouncegri

Squizzy, how much was that one "USA" thumb you posted pictures of?

As little digging as I actually do, and with the age of my backhoe, I don't know if considering a thumb is worth it for me, or not?

Then again, it sounds as if they are the best thing since slided bread, so I would like to try one. Possibly a weld on, manually adjustable one could be picked up reasonably enough to warrent the purchase?

Digger, what's the story behind your's? Did you hear any price figures for it?

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Jeff D. said:
Squizzy, how much was that one "USA" thumb you posted pictures of?

As little digging as I actually do, and with the age of my backhoe, I don't know if considering a thumb is worth it for me, or not?

Then again, it sounds as if they are the best thing since slided bread, so I would like to try one. Possibly a weld on, manually adjustable one could be picked up reasonably enough to warrent the purchase?

Jeff, Google is your friend, but from memory that one seemed cheap to me even though it was in USD. Just search the net and see what you come up with.

Rockland comes up: http://www.rocklandmfg.com/excavator/thumbs.htm

ahhhaah...here it is http://www.excavatorthumb.com/

I was actually looking for pics that show more of the finer detail...but since Digger is having a hissy-fit I'll just have to rely on those more generous members of this wonderful forum:rolleyes: :D :D

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Cat 304 0r 305 thumb

here is a cat thumb mount I saw yesterday. second picture is the upper mont. Thumb mounts on pin along with quick disconect.

should have my hoe back today with pictures but they are about the same

Attachments

• Cat thumb.jpg
    Cat thumb.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,107
  • Cat thumb uper mount.jpg
    Cat thumb uper mount.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,093

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
but since Digger is having a hissy-fit

I AM NOT HAVING A HISSY FIT!!! AM NOT, AM NOT, AM NOT!!! :cussing :cussing :Banghead :mad:

:dizzy

Oh, I feel much better now...
:angel

I think I heard $1,200, but that's not firsthand info.

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
digger242j said:
I think I heard $1,200, but that's not firsthand info.

The manual thumb that was installed this past Monday was $1166.00 including the sales tax. As for what the welder charged, I do not know.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
The picture Dwan posted is the same thumb and coupler setup we have on our 303CR, except for the top pin on the thumb cylinder has a lynch pin that holds in it place for quick removal. Works pretty well for us, the thumb and cylinder can be completely removed in a matter of minutes via a couple lynch pins and a hammer to pound out the bushing pins.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Here is the lower pin assembly of a PSM thumb on a Takuchi TB070. Looks like all they did was put in a longer bucket pivet pin for the lower mount.

Attachments

• Lower pin ass. thumb TB070.jpg
    Lower pin ass. thumb TB070.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,082