1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Thumb Design

Discussion in 'Compact Equipment Attachments' started by Squizzy246B, Aug 20, 2006.

1. will_gurt

will_gurt Charter Member

operator in extended holding pattern
    I have very little patience SO YOU BETTER HURRY!:roll

Was I suppose to bring this soda for you to drink??? I liked what you did to the ones that you brought today,it sorta resaemmbled this smiley :bash

2. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    Ya know, you two, the best way to get me NOT to do something is to nag me about doing it. Ask Mrs. Digger. I can be very contrary... :nono

:cool2

3. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Senior Member

I learned that in the "WWII week-end" thread.:yup
    And how well has that approach been working for you??:rolleyes: It's been my experience that a women can take that to a level that the "man brain" can't even comprehend.:crying

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  4. tylermckee

tylermckee Senior Member

Keep the pics we dont want to see your damn manual thumb.

5. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    Reverse psychology doesn't work either. :p

6. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B Administrator

Digger Driver
    I had all intentions of this being a serious thread:Banghead

but since Digger has interjected..or rather been unable to salvage some form of repute through his inadequacies with the digital camera....then I'll have to revert to begging:rolleyes: :)

Does anybody else have some good Hydraulic thumb pics??...Please if not...just post away with your holiday pics...and Jeff...don't sweat it too much..most but not all of the gene pool does have an opposible thumb...its what spearates us upright walking bipeds from the truck driv.....errr...the other primates.:rolleyes: :wink2 :bouncegri

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  7. tylermckee

tylermckee Senior Member

my left thumb is double jointed, ill snap a pic later today. It helps me pick up odd shaped objects sometimes.

8. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    I can salvage all the ill repute you want... :yup

Besides, I didn't necessarily say I was going to post those pics here. I might start a new thread about manual thumbs, or I might post them to an entirely different website, and let you all google for them. :)

To get more or less back on topic, having used the fixed thumb for most of yestersday and today, it was certainly helpful, but now I'd really like a hydraulic one...

9. Squizzy246B

Digger Driver
    Ummm... "salvage"... have you read some of the threads you have been participating in latley:eek: :wink2 :bouncegri

10. Squizzy246B

Digger Driver
    Thats weird, my left thumb is double jointed but only for opening...it goes past 90 deg :confused:

11. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator

Certainly NOT! I find that trying to follow the discussion only distracts me as I compose my replies... :yup

12. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Senior Member

Yes, many of us certainly have made a new standard for "reaching bottom".:bouncegri

Squizzy, how much was that one "USA" thumb you posted pictures of?

As little digging as I actually do, and with the age of my backhoe, I don't know if considering a thumb is worth it for me, or not?

Then again, it sounds as if they are the best thing since slided bread, so I would like to try one. Possibly a weld on, manually adjustable one could be picked up reasonably enough to warrent the purchase?

Digger, what's the story behind your's? Did you hear any price figures for it?

13. Squizzy246B

Digger Driver
    Jeff, Google is your friend, but from memory that one seemed cheap to me even though it was in USD. Just search the net and see what you come up with.

Rockland comes up: http://www.rocklandmfg.com/excavator/thumbs.htm

ahhhaah...here it is http://www.excavatorthumb.com/

I was actually looking for pics that show more of the finer detail...but since Digger is having a hissy-fit I'll just have to rely on those more generous members of this wonderful forum:rolleyes: :D :D

14. Dwan Hall

Dwan Hall Senior Member

Self Employed
    Cat 304 0r 305 thumb

here is a cat thumb mount I saw yesterday. second picture is the upper mont. Thumb mounts on pin along with quick disconect.

should have my hoe back today with pictures but they are about the same

Attached Files:

15. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    I AM NOT HAVING A HISSY FIT!!! AM NOT, AM NOT, AM NOT!!! :cussing :cussing :Banghead :mad:

:dizzy

Oh, I feel much better now...
    :angel

I think I heard $1,200, but that's not firsthand info.

16. will_gurt

will_gurt Charter Member

operator in extended holding pattern

The manual thumb that was installed this past Monday was $1166.00 including the sales tax. As for what the welder charged, I do not know.

17. Grader4me

Grader4me Senior Member

lol You guys are totally nuts:laugh

18. CascadeScaper

CascadeScaper Senior Member

2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
    The picture Dwan posted is the same thumb and coupler setup we have on our 303CR, except for the top pin on the thumb cylinder has a lynch pin that holds in it place for quick removal. Works pretty well for us, the thumb and cylinder can be completely removed in a matter of minutes via a couple lynch pins and a hammer to pound out the bushing pins.

19. Squizzy246B

Digger Driver
    We are too:laugh ...and this is supposed to be a serious thread:eek: ..full of informative industry discussion for the benefit of the good forum community.:)

20. Dwan Hall

Dwan Hall Senior Member

Self Employed
    Here is the lower pin assembly of a PSM thumb on a Takuchi TB070. Looks like all they did was put in a longer bucket pivet pin for the lower mount.

Attached Files: