• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Monkeywithawrench

Lol it's just a joke, I wanted to say it the first time was mentioned.
LOL.........No, no.......we need to hype the drama!! Add a little spice and excitement to the thread!!
Delete that post!! Throw some more barbs out!! It was just getting good!! LOL
Get some witty banter going between us!!

I dont wanna talk to you no more you empty headed animal foot
trough water! I'll fart in your general direction!
Your mother was a
hamster and you father smelt of eldiberry!!!!

Is there someone else up there we can talk to?

NO! Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

-Monty Python Holy Grail (French man at a Castle)

Monkeywithawrench

holy crap, is it still winter where y'all are at?
Hatches are battened down, lines doubled..........Nor'easter expected shortly here in Cow Hampshire. Expecting a trace - 12+ inches of snow (god and mother nature only know how much we will get).
Those weather people.........they can be pretty useless.......building hype over what turns out to be nothing. This one........we'll get a decent amount of the white fluffy stuff.

Yesterday it was sunny and 60F. A couple of weeks ago, the wife asked me when i was going to take the tire chains and snow blower off the tractor..........I told her when winter is done. Almost took them off last week..........neighbor borrowed my tractor to put hay out for his cows. Ran the tractor down the road to his house.........he didn't want to take them off...........I'm glad he didn't. I HATE PUTTING THOSE THINGS ON!!

SNOW FIGHTER.jpg

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Yep. He's gonna show Vtech how to wrench, and he's likely assured the bosses that as well. Lots of guys like that out there. Vtech is going to have his work cut out managing this situation.
My thoughts exactly, the owner thinks he can;
1. save money
2. have the mechanic at beck & call
3. tell mechanic exactly what to do & not do, so save even more money.
4. with NO backtalk.

BUT....these are just my thoughts, mechanic might be a great person.

Last edited:

Vetech63

Now that I have a minute..............

Talked with new guy (LMM I will call him) for a bit. When Alan introduced me to him, he referred to him as a new hire. I took that as being on company payroll. No........he's on through a temp service. Worked for the Deere dealer here for a few years and then the city government here in Tulsa. LMM gave me some info about his experience in equipment and made the statement that he has never been deep into any components (engine, trans, diff, ect.....). Single with no kids and living with his brother that has been a year out of a 25-year prison sentence. No job when sent here.

I decided to call his Deere boss and ask his opinion. He told me he was a good guy, a good B class mechanic. He didn't specialize in anything, but was kind of a general all around, little of everything type. He did decent work and seemed to be thorough. His opinion was he would be good help at this company. His drawback is that he is slow and won't win any races in repairing anything.

Alan has him going into the company field truck right now. Not something I would do but it's not my call. His tooling looks to be basic for what his experience is and seems to fit. Alan sent him out Tuesday on a hydraulic leak on a Sakai roller........he was gone all day but apparently replaced a leaking hose. I had no involvement.

Alan sent him out on a 524K that wouldn't start. Starting was never an issue..........it has a front axle coming out and has the outer bearing exposed. He texted me that the machine was going to need a new axle and that Deere was having trouble finding the parts. Sent me some pics and I told him I would have it picked up and brought to the shop for the repair. He texted me back and said it was no big deal to do a field repair, that they (Deere dealer) had done them in the field all the time. I dropped any involvement with this immediately.

This is not something I would do in the field. This is a city street job and there is no guaranty parts will show up on time and will be right. I don't like having machines tore down in the field unless there is no other option or it's a very short-term repair. It's difficult to keep children away from broken machinery in a neighborhood, and the machine can end up vandalized. My last text to him was "YOU make the call. It's your job to do".

My thoughts are, if he is slow, he is going to be overwhelmed in no time. I have 2 jobs I have already started that I will finish once the parts arrive. I will then be going back to a ON CALL mode and won't be spending my time there like I have been. I am going to leave him on his own and see what he is made of. It's time to sink or swim.

By the way, I found out yesterday that Alan's previous job before coming to this company as fleet manager, was 20 years as a mall manager...........yeah, a SHOPPING MALL manager. It shows badly.........and he is LMM's boss.

Good grief.....stay tuned!

Am I being fair?......or am I being a prick?