• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Vetech63

Nothing to report. I took yesterday off (due to 110 degree temp) and I am today also. Today I'll be having fun with my 5 youngest grandkids (just me and them which I enjoy immensely). Just got our hay baled and it's on the ground...........have some hide and seek to play) Back to work tomorrow;)

suladas

Your customers are okay with you taking the day off due to the weather? I must learn your ways, O’ wise one! I worked in south Texas at 109 and last winter I worked at -27. Both days were memorable but neither was enjoyable

That is where you went wrong caring what they think. I've done the insane 80+ hour weeks, no more. My attitude is if people cannot plan ahead not my problem, and if they are 1-2 days behind on their project, so be it. If it's really hot out I have no problem finishing early, whether or not a customer has an issue with it. I hurt my back last week and took 2 days off, and the following 2 days back I worked only about 5 hour days to not push it. Customer was very understanding and not worried which is nice. Had they not been and been a pain it wouldn't have changed how much I worked one bit. Unless I promised them a completion date, I will do the job at my pace and i've gotten to the point I don't over schedule myself and make sure I have a extra day here or there if I get behind instead of booking really tight to make people happy. I'm tired of working weekends catching up. In the winter no equipment moves below 0F for any reason.

The worst was a few years ago, backfilling a basement on a saturday, it was the builders request as it was not ready on friday. I was able to finish most with my skidsteer but informed him I would have a few hours monday morning with the mini. He lost it, flipped out that he had to have it done by monday morning, framers and material coming blah blah you HAVE to finish either come back today or tomorrow. I calmly said i'm here on a saturday to begin with i'm not working well into the evening, I don't work sundays and I do not appreciate your tone. He did apologize later and was fine with monday. I just don't get some people. Book trades too tight and your job will go slower.

BigWrench55

I was finishing up one Friday when I was in construction. The superintendent came over to see my progress. As I loaded up the last of my tools I told him to have a good weekend and I will see you Monday. He said no I will see you tomorrow. I told him that I don't work on the weekends. He gave me a lecture that all his crew's work on Saturday. Then he asked me how is It that I don't work Saturday's. I told him that it was easy. I just don't come in. He then proceeded to tell me that I will be there on Saturday. All he had to do was make one phone call and I would be there. I just told him to make any phone call he needs, but I still won't be here Saturday. My philosophy on this sort of thing whether it be a Saturday or any other day. Your emergency is not my emergency. I will no longer kill myself for anyone else's benefit except my own. The job takes as long as it takes. But you can be damn sure that when I am finished. It will work and it will be right.

suladas

I was finishing up one Friday when I was in construction. The superintendent came over to see my progress. As I loaded up the last of my tools I told him to have a good weekend and I will see you Monday. He said no I will see you tomorrow. I told him that I don't work on the weekends. He gave me a lecture that all his crew's work on Saturday. Then he asked me how is It that I don't work Saturday's. I told him that it was easy. I just don't come in. He then proceeded to tell me that I will be there on Saturday. All he had to do was make one phone call and I would be there. I just told him to make any phone call he needs, but I still won't be here Saturday. My philosophy on this sort of thing whether it be a Saturday or any other day. Your emergency is not my emergency. I will no longer kill myself for anyone else's benefit except my own. The job takes as long as it takes. But you can be damn sure that when I am finished. It will work and it will be right.

Almost word for word my opinion on weekends! I do work saturdays sometimes, like this past one because I was behind but I will never book a job on one. I'm getting to the point I want at least 1 weekday every 2 weeks where I catch up on repairs, paperwork, etc so there is less of that on weekends too.

Vetech63

The broom was simple but dumb. The alternator had failed, and the belt was on its way to failing. Someone (I assume HNC or TNH) had routed the belt wrong and the tension was so packed with dirt it wouldn't even move.
belt routing.jpg
You can see here where the ribbed side of the belt was run over the smoothe side of the idler.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I STILL get those calls as TS does, the "Do you have a 450# torque wrench?", I will say yes, they will ask to borrow and I say Sorry, NO. Or drive up to my shop, looking for me, come to house ask why not working, note I AM RETIRED, then send them on their way. Or go to the parts house or KW in CoMO, get the "Want a Job" question, look at them and ask Did I say something to Indicate that? Or they throw a dollar figure at me trying to Coax me in, look at them Smile and tell them I make that much on my Pension and SSI.

The industries set themselves up for this issue, leave them to figure out how to fix it.

Put my name in the Hat for either a Temporary Instructor, a Substitute Instructor even as low as Mentor at local Trades School. Noted have skills and training as Mechanic, Electrician, Power Station Operator, but was explained "Sorry, you do not have a Degree". Left it Drop, several Instructors that KNOW me, as well students asked me to try again, told them will accept the NO Issued. Admin is whining CANNOT acquire suitable instructors, but require a Degree for a TRADES Course, could give a rats butt if they fail now.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Same as I suggested for Vetech. The guy with the laptop needs only to be able to direct others to the problem parts. Let them replace the parts and do the grunt work.

The broom was simple but dumb. The alternator had failed, and the belt was on its way to failing. Someone (I assume HNC or TNH) had routed the belt wrong and the tension was so packed with dirt it wouldn't even move.
View attachment 264338
You can see here where the ribbed side of the belt was run over the smoothe side of the idler.

Per Ron White, "Stupid Is FOEVA!!!

Sorry but that is brain dead!!