• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

joe--h

Don't come back until 5:00

My younger brother got a job at Southern Cal Edison Huntington Beach plant when he was 20 years old.

One day he gets sent down to San Diego to get something, so he goes and returns. Boss grabs him when he gets back and tells him he's not supposed to get back before quitting time.

Next time he goes he takes the company truck to Tiajuana and spends some time, back at 5 & everybody is happy.

Joe H

JD955SC

I think that's a big problem a lot of places. Where I'm at now the guy who's been here the longest on our crew doesn't have the skills he should have for the years he has on his tools. He gets down right nasty when you ask him a technical question he doesn't know the answer to wiggling out of answering it. He's not allowed to do pump and motor alignments anymore, most of his "dead nuts" alignments were bolt bound needing a 1/8" or more move discovered after the couplers couldn't take it anymore.

I've been here 2 1/2 years, before working here I had 0 experience working on most of the equipment we have here. It's frustrating, I don't have anyone I consider a mentor to learn the why's and finer points from and. Watching our senior mechanics work habits is very frustrating. They just don't have the habits you'd expect from someone with 10+ years of experience who's at the top of the pay scale. They miss a lot of the fine details and do things the hard way instead of looking for ways to innovate and save time. Just today the "kids" on our crew went and did a job that for the past 10 years was a 1/2 day job in 20 minutes using an air hammer instead of attempting to swing a hammer in a spot with no room to get a good swing. It really makes you wonder why they struggled with it for 10 years.

Some people just desire to be stupid, others were born into it. I see it everyday and there’s always a few who I start cussing when I see them headed my way to disturb me.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Some days get those 1/2 day jobs done in less than hour, others will end up taking two days. Never been consistency to general work, bolt(s) break off or strip, what they were driving with a hammer may come smooth once the gall and require oxylance and deep repairs next round.
Been said a thousand times some days you eat the bear most days the bear eats you.

Vetech63

Well, I had the owner of another construction company call me yesterday. I had looked at a couple of his machines months ago and made some recommendations, but I haven't actually repaired anything. They are wanting me to look at 3 pieces of equipment on one of their jobs. I guess one mini ex has been down over a month and they had someone trying to fix it that hasn't succeeded and evidently gave up. I know the company isn't the size of this current one and they also (from what little I have seen) run equipment that is pretty ragged. The one thing I do know is that their money is good, and they have plenty of work. I told him I would swing by the job next week and give him an initial recommendation. Too bad I don't have anyone I can sub stuff to.........this is going to become a lot more common. I don't see having he time to add to my already overloaded schedule unless I want to work 18 hours a day..........which I DONT!

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
Some days get those 1/2 day jobs done in less than hour, others will end up taking two days. Never been consistency to general work, bolt(s) break off or strip, what they were driving with a hammer may come smooth once the gall and require oxylance and deep repairs next round.
Been said a thousand times some days you eat the bear most days the bear eats you.

It's the mindset of this is a pain in the ass job and I'm not going to try to not make it a pain in the ass, I'll just do it how I was shown. It used to take a half day when things went right, now it's 20 minutes when things go right. This is one of those jobs I've taken 2 days on thanks to someone leaving a broken off pusher bolt. It's changing poppet seals and seats on a schwing concrete pump, the seats are a slight press fit with nowhere to hit them out from the back side.

Truck Shop

Some people just desire to be stupid, others were born into it. I see it everyday and there’s always a few who I start cussing when I see them headed my way to disturb me.

A few years back I had a out of frame on a C15 going on, I was setting the head in-place when the owner came
buzzing up interrupting what I was doing with a worthless conversation that could wait. I quickly told him-
{This is a 32K engine and when someone breaks my concentration I have a tendency to forget things,
do you have 32K to wipe your ass on?} he never did that again.

Vetech63

A pretty new D39 is in the yard with 1479 hours.
D39-2.jpg
I opened the engine enclosure door......
D39-1.jpg
Why on GODS green earth would you change 1 primary fuel filter and not the secondary? I just love the fact that the rest of the filters on this machine are PDI @ 2 hours. Just under $900 for all the filters from the dealer since there just isn't many crosses for Komatsu filters. HAPPY THANKGIVING EVERYONE!!!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It has lost a lot of its meaning over the years. High pressure fuel systems can be a gray area where a manufacturer might not list a filter used as complying to their minimum standards. Nothing in their sales contract says you have to use their filter, but again nothing in their their warranty contract says they have to warranty a failure caused by some one else's parts. Here are a couple of statements from the law.

(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if—
(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.

(c) Waiver of standards
The performance of the duties under subsection (a) shall not be required of the warrantor if he can show that the defect, malfunction, or failure of any warranted consumer product to conform with a written warranty, was caused by damage (not resulting from defect or malfunction) while in the possession of the consumer, or unreasonable use (including failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance).

The entire law can be found at the following link:

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title15-chapter50&edition=prelim

colson04

Everyone knows if you're changing all the filters you're just wasting money and breaking the company.

My grandpa felt that way on his farm. Oil and oil filter at 250 hrs religiously.
Fuel filters get changed when the tractor gets low on power and acts fuel starved.
Hydraulic filters get changed when they rust through and start leaking.

So, for those keeping tally, that's about 1 oil filter per tractor per year, except feed wagon tractor getting about 1 a month. Some of the trucks don't hit 250 hours in a year, so they get one every other year. Should have heard him belly ache when we got the 2 Mack's with E7-350s under the hood. "Three oil filters?! Thats like $250 a truck in filters!" Note - the Mack's don't hit 200 hours of use per year on our operation.

Welder Dave

Don't most filter manufactures offer their own warranties if it's proven the damage was caused by the filter? If you put a name brand filter like a Donaldson on a Komatsu it would void warranty? I'm not so sure Komatsu would do so good if there was a court case concerning a recognized industry standard filter.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
The way I look at it, the older the machine the less you need to change the filters they were built will less stringent. New machines on the other hand why the hell would you Flip about with not changing and using manufacturer filters, if your $50000 engine in your $100000 machine shitz itself because and injector got stuck open with a bit debris is your A/M filter supplier REALLY going to stand the cost of repair....NO of course they won't ( well you did buy A/M filters sir ) but a manufacturer has to, it's their engine with their filter. New machines are now less tolerant than ever to contamination in any of the systems whether it be oil/ hydraulic or fuel, so for the sake of a few $ i'd rather be safe than sorry any day of the week.