• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
This is now known as the 2022 Tulsa Water Truck Massacre :D:p

That reminded me, on a much simpler scale, of a friend of ours who has been driving long haul trucks for years.

One time he was helping someone out by driving a milk tanker 18 wheeler when some one was off sick. He had picked up milk at one place and was heading to the next stop but had to take the toll road to get there. He pulled up to the toll both and hit the brakes and just as he was reaching out to the ticket the half a load of milk came forward and shoved the truck ahead about 15 feet. Person at toll both asked him if it was his first time hauling milk!

Guess he had hauled liquids before but the milk tankers don't have any baffles in them like other tankers to make it easy to clean them!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Second job behind all the others Hauled gas, diesel and JP with a Open no baffle tank. Guy bought POS Us mil surplus was 8500 gal cap, STEEL with tool boxes and a pump setup under it. Could not scale but 6200 gal legally where had 7400 in it one winter evening to Jerseyville IL airport for a helo service, a little frozen precip on ground and had to cross IL scale halfway up on Hwy 100.
Needless to say scale was open, followed a truck onto scale throttled up and slammed load to rear as steer hit scale and slammed brakes, had to have been all balled up as it hit the front wall, all the axles slid on grade except steer it slammed scale table forward and it locked up.

Scalemaster NOT happy, ran outside screaming destruction of state property blah blah blah, all the time truck is slipping back and forth some few inches as load kept slogging.

Told me GTF off his scale and I left, scale never reopened. I brokened it!!!
Saved my wallet a little coin cost IL a bundle!

1466IH

Second job behind all the others Hauled gas, diesel and JP with a Open no baffle tank. Guy bought POS Us mil surplus was 8500 gal cap, STEEL with tool boxes and a pump setup under it. Could not scale but 6200 gal legally where had 7400 in it one winter evening to Jerseyville IL airport for a helo service, a little frozen precip on ground and had to cross IL scale halfway up on Hwy 100.
Needless to say scale was open, followed a truck onto scale throttled up and slammed load to rear as steer hit scale and slammed brakes, had to have been all balled up as it hit the front wall, all the axles slid on grade except steer it slammed scale table forward and it locked up.

Scalemaster NOT happy, ran outside screaming destruction of state property blah blah blah, all the time truck is slipping back and forth some few inches as load kept slogging.

Told me GTF off his scale and I left, scale never reopened. I brokened it!!!
Saved my wallet a little coin cost IL a bundle!
Fairbanks had the contract for the IL dot scales for a while (may still have them) I have cut out several of the old ones and after seeing the state of their scales I would fight any over weight ticket they ever issued.

Truck Shop

Statistically there were probably a minimum of four other wrecks just like that one or very similar
on that same day spread over a 16 hour period involving speed with shifting load/live load.

We only have 57 trucks running and I guarantee in a 7 day interval something gets trashed,
maybe not as bad as the one above but still something gets trashed.

suladas

How the hell is an idiot that can’t even put a diff plug back in going to replace one?!?

I think we need to bring back beating the hell out of such idiots. Violence IS the answer.

I'm not sure, dropped it off yesterday and he said he would fix it so we'll see. Took plenty of pictures and they were texted to him as proof it happened the day after he serviced it just in case he doesn't fix it, or doesn't fix it properly and need to take it further. He did a motor swap on one of my brothers work trucks a few years ago and it's been running good since. He's far from the only one who screws up around here though, it's far more common to get something back and something is done wrong then get it back and everything is good.

Vetech63

Well, I worked all weekend on their S&*T so no rest for me!!!!o_O Had a generator fail on their Weiler paver and without it there isn't any screed heat. For some reason Weiler doesnt sell a complete replacement which was what I wanted. I ended up with the main generator casing and had to change over everything else from the old one.
Old Weiler Gen.jpg
It's not too bad of a job. I went out Saturday and pulled this, then did the changeover at their shop.
New Weiler Gen.jpg
This is the new one installed. My wife wanted to know if I could get the old one rebuilt...which I replied "Yes, why?" She wants to attempt to drive this with wind power! LOL Yeah, I don't know how she plans on getting this to turn 3600 rpm much less carry a load.:confused: I'm not even going to argue with her:D

Vetech63

The ventilation system in the Cat AP555E. What a pain in the ass............it in the upper left corner behind the fuel tank......this is a pic before I started on it today.
AP555 before.jpg
Absolutely NO access from anywhere. Your choices are to remove the radiator/oil cooler assembly above it...........or remove the hydraulic tank.........neither is an easy feat. I stared at this for the first 30 minutes just trying to grasp how I wanted to approach this. I decided to go in from the pump house......through this 10 lbs of S%^t in a 5 lb box.
AP555 after.jpg
Well, it's possible to get the dam thing out if you move a dozen hoses out of the way. Everything came out that black hole in the upper left corner. The bad thing is you have to disassemble the components in that hole and bring them out 1 piece at a time. Even with that opening, it's all still a tight fit coming out. My arms look like I fought with a wildcat and lost BIG.
AP555 broken parts.jpg
This has been broken for a while by the looks of it. They were still trying to use it LOL Its going to be a B&*^% getting all this back in that little bity hole. It would be easier if I could lose about 30 lbs. in the next few days.o_O:p