• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
5 hours of drive time yesterday afternoon to replace a broken belt. It's a pain in the ass to change that inner one but the drive was relaxing.
Notice anything on the filters? Hour meter no workie
Whoever that PDI guy is sucks balls.
And I suppose that nobody told you beforehand that it needed servicing before you left base, and you didn't have any filters with you..?

Welder Dave

OK fellas..........now what you have been waiting for.........the offer was $200K. Of course, I turned it down.....its less than I make now but I told the owner he was getting close. His reply was he hasn't given up yet.

No responsibilities have been discussed on what a 200K salary would require as of yet. I'll put my thoughts on this here tonight when I have more time.
Actually not an insulting offer at all. I think part of it depends on if you want to give up your other work and work strictly for this place. If so you won't have to buy your own insurance and other expenses required for being independent.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I’m curious to hear the details and specifics. As an independent I’ve had customers offer to put me on the payroll but we never had a serious talk about it. To be honest I don’t think I want to be tied to just one customer

Vetech63

The expectations would be high…..as in so high it’s impossible. There is no one man operation that will do this job and meet those expectations.

The possible pros?
1. Salaried hours at 40 per week
2. Health insurance
3. Paid vacation (maybe 2 weeks a year)
4. Knowing the equipment and personnel
5. Less stress? Doubtful on that one.
6. Steady paycheck

Cons?
1. Loss of freedom that self employment gives me.
2. No job security. If things go bad with the company I could be canned being highly paid.
3. ?…?.?.??…?

This was a fishing expedition by the owner to figure out where my line in the sand is. He knew I wouldn’t except before he made it but gambled that I may be growing weary with my age. LOL

He has seen 1st hand my work and what I do for 20 years. He knows that hiring me would be a good investment at a high salary because what I have saved him in past years would more than make up my salary. It’s highly unlikely anyone else would get an offer even near there….. a perfect example of “you go with what you know.”

Ive thought of a better plan that would by far benefit us both much easier………I just have to sell it……I’m not even sure I want to sell it yet. In the meantime I will just keep billing them between 15k and 30k per month depending on the jobs that come up.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I dare say you have made a good choice my friend, you are financially better off as you are, can come and go with the business that mostly come and go. At some point we all reach retirement, just make certain have enough to get you and the significant other into a softer life after working.

I have been text'd, phone messaged and directly asked here if would consider working a few days a week on a cash basis to preclude other concerns and have had to explain as I worked the local trucking company was basically out of friendship and necessity to keep them functional during the Covid Mess, was not of need to make money. Seems no one believes that as continue to press for me to work for them. Biggest problem is should I or anyone around me get injured, or auto damage and not be on IRS or SSI roles then the SHTF with insurance or Work Comp, not heading down that road.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
So my $300K figure wasn't pie in the sky?

I was told after a salary negotiation by a mining engineer that I had finally understood my value to a company. Maybe it's about time our education system start training students in business math and the philosophy of leverage.

ianjoub

I was told after a salary negotiation by a mining engineer that I had finally understood my value to a company. Maybe it's about time our education system start training students in business math and the philosophy of leverage.
Never happen! It is not an education system. It is an indoctrination system. To paraphrase George Carlin: They want people just smart enough to run the machines but stupid enough to not realize how badly they are getting forked. People are taught what to think, not how to think.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Those with trust fund money and a guaranteed education paid for by prior generations don't seem to have any problem understanding value. Most of us are no more than farm animals to be worked till all the value is gone and then thrown away.

suladas

While $200k is far more then I guessed, $200k is a far cry from $300k and I would bet that their top dollar isn't much over $200k, and is nowhere near $300k. Using your leverage to try and get insane pay will backfire at some point because they will look for someone else to bring in more cost effective, meanwhile if it's fair on both sides they won't. I would honestly be worried if they offered $300k because either it means they know it's short term until they figure out something else, or maybe it's to get everything fixed to sell or something like that. That's about $150/hr. No one can afford to pay an employee that kind of money to change filters or belts. You might be able to get away with it for really technical repairs because the experience means you aren't changing out unneeded parts or having it come back, but that's still a stretch. I would wager at a $300k salary it would be cheaper to rent/lease every single piece of equipment and hire out any required repairs. Unless their plan is to cough up the big salary and hire a few decent guys he can mentor and not have the big salary too long. There is just no way that kind of money could be a long term plan for them. I would bet even at $200k it's the same thing.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It’s not always about what the rate of pay should be for an employee. It’s about what you lose when said machine or machines are down. That loss can be revenue, liquidated damages for failure to complete a project….liability from a failure. There’s a lot more to it than what a feller should be paid to service a machine or diagnose. You’re paying him for his experience and expertise not the time it takes to do things. That knowledge goes beyond the physical repair. It can be planning, timely parts procurement, catching a small failure before it’s catastrophic, watching trends of use to cull the excess equipment. Lots and lots to it.

joe--h

suldas said: I would wager at a $300k salary it would be cheaper to rent/lease every single piece of equipment and hire out any required repairs.

Seems the local dealers aren't doing any better trying to keep things running so the problems are still going to be there, just someone else's fault but still Vetech's problem.

It don't run and the dealer can't fix it is not going to help, and leaves someone wondering why they're paying $300K to the guy who was supposed to eliminate this mess.

Joe H

suladas

It’s not always about what the rate of pay should be for an employee. It’s about what you lose when said machine or machines are down. That loss can be revenue, liquidated damages for failure to complete a project….liability from a failure. There’s a lot more to it than what a feller should be paid to service a machine or diagnose. You’re paying him for his experience and expertise not the time it takes to do things. That knowledge goes beyond the physical repair. It can be planning, timely parts procurement, catching a small failure before it’s catastrophic, watching trends of use to cull the excess equipment. Lots and lots to it.

For sure, but paying 3x what is average for the position probably even more as $100k is a pretty dang good salary for 40 hours for a mechanic. It would be totally different if the position was to lead their shop and they had a bunch of mechanics. I'd wager they are better off to just continue the way they are then pay $300k salary.

suladas

suldas said: I would wager at a $300k salary it would be cheaper to rent/lease every single piece of equipment and hire out any required repairs.

Seems the local dealers aren't doing any better trying to keep things running so the problems are still going to be there, just someone else's fault but still Vetech's problem.

It don't run and the dealer can't fix it is not going to help, and leaves someone wondering why they're paying $300K to the guy who was supposed to eliminate this mess.

Joe H

Leased equipment is a much different story though. If it isn't running and dealer can't get it running many will just turn it back in. Dealer service also has a lot more accountability then an employee does. Rentals if it's not running unless you damaged it it's not your problem and can leave it sit where it is and go rent another one without a concern, there is a ton of companies that rent stuff for 6 months in the summer instead of owning. Also a lot of the problems seem to be lack of maintenance, which dealers i'm sure would set up a program for them and take care of servicing everything at the required intervals.