• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

muddog1975

Well, they f^%$#d up a JD 350D truck while I was gone so that's nice. Got a text message from the new temp super last night about whether he should run the truck today until a gear came in. ?????WtF? Seems someone decided that the air compressor went out and one of the mechanics at the bought-out facility in OKC was sent out since I was gone. While trying to remove a gear from the compressor shaft, he broke one of the teeth off. SO.......I'm being asked if its ok to run like this until the new gear comes in. I have no idea what gear or tooth they are talking about, no pics, no nothing. After a few other questions that I really didn't get much of an answer for...........I told him it wouldn't be a good idea. He replied......."Well, we are going to go ahead and run it. We haven't been able to find a rental and we need it badly. Hopefully it wont f&*k anything else up." Why bother me about it then? An hour later I get the final text saying "If we get the new gear, could you possibly come out and install it? That mechanic is taking forever to do anything." The job is 3.5 hours away.

So, the best I can gather is that the mechanic broke off a tooth and installed the compressor anyway. Now they are questioning whether they should run it until the new gear shows up. I highly doubt the problem is the compressor in the first place. I got tired of texting so I told him I would call him this morning. Now I get to tell him that those guys don't need to be wrenching on the equipment. More details later............
Well???? What happened or has it happened yet?

Vetech63

Since I know you guys enjoy the quality work of former HNC............I have attached the following for your viewing pleasure. These are of a 524K I went out on yesterday after the customer replaced fuel filters trying to correct a engine loss of power problem. Machine currently has 12213.7 hours
524K engine oil filter.jpg
Engine oil filter, last changes on March 19, 2020.............at 10156 hours.o_O

colson04

I would've thought what that company really needed was a maintnenance planner.
By the sounds of what Vetech has posted previously they own enough pieces of equipment to justify the position.

Is there a difference in work duties between the two titles? I've never worked for a company that had someone that managed the fleet of equipment that wasnt also the mechanic fixing it.

Truck Shop

Is there a difference in work duties between the two titles? I've never worked for a company that had someone that managed the fleet of equipment that wasnt also the mechanic fixing it.

Correct Colson--Much more effective way of doing things. A much closer eye on what's at hand. Plus the
last thing a company shop needs is a pretty boy who never gets dirty telling everyone else what to do.
Really bad for morale in the shop.

Vetech63

Here is another from yesterday. A 310SJ loader/backhoe...........here is some back story.

2 months ago, before the well-deserved mass firings, this machine was in their shop with the radiator, shroud and fan removed from it. I happened to be there and saw it in their shop torn down. Since I was there doing paving machine work, I didn't pay too much attention to this unitil I got a call yesterday. The new radiator and fan they installed is damaged again.........exactly the same damage and failure. I had this machine brought to their shop and tore it down yesterday.
310SJ radiators.jpg
The one on the left is the original that they removed. The one on the right is the new one they installed 2 months ago.
310SJ radiator damage.jpg
A closer look at the damage on the new radiator

Vetech63

310SJ fan.jpg
310SJ shroud.jpg
You can obviously see which fan blade did the damage and the fan had been hitting the shroud for a bit. I asked the operator about the noise the fan was making when I first looked at this machine yesterday. He said it had been like that since it was on the job for the last 2-3 weeks.