• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This is for folks that hate dozers

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Machinist and occasional pt Dozer oper
What I find incredible, is how come in a poor country, those machines have pretty much zero value, but here they would be gobbled up like crazy?
How come we don't have that sorta stuff here just for the taking? I just don't get it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What I find incredible, is how come in a poor country, those machines have pretty much zero value, but here they would be gobbled up like crazy?
How come we don't have that sorta stuff here just for the taking? I just don't get it.

The folks in third world countries have to work so much harder for the simple things in life than us fortunate ones have to. Just collecting food and water for the day takes alot of effort when you have to haul the water you are going to use from the spring or local watering hole and you either grow it yourself or depend on the local market for your dinner. Without running water, electricity and therefore no refrigeration - it really changes your priorities.

Like I posted before, I spent a short time living this way and let me tell you it is tough. Bathing is not as important when you have to haul the water for your bath in addition to what you need for cleaning dishes and eating. If you need to travel 100 miles, it may take 2 days and 4-5 different modes of transport ie: nissan pickup, toyota mini-bus, old retired city bus, train (if you are lucky) and whatever else comes along that will offer you a ride. It's funny I never hitched a ride anywhere else than Africa and never thought twice about it - it's a different world.

Getting back to my point - these abandoned machines have no value where they are located. It's kinda like having a Delta 4 rocket in your backyard. Cool - yes, expensive- yes, valuable to someone- absolutely , are you able to get any value out of since you don't have the support, launching pad, etc - no. It just becomes yard art.

It's hard to put into words but I am sure some of our members that have spent time in third world countries can add more insight to this than I can.

mag6000

Well, I have a feeling that most of those machines suffered some kind of mechanical failure. And due to lack of money and/or support, were just left where they broke down. And then the scavengers got to them, leaving only the incomplete carcasses. And it could that the owners scavenged them to keep others running too. Who knows.

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Yeah with free foreign aid money they can afford to let em rot.
I wish I could find a D155 like that one for the taking here some place.

Last edited:

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I found that site too, whilst searching, and had the thought, maybe some of them were stolen and stripped. You see stuff parked all over this country, that has nothing apparently wrong with them, just not used anymore.
I suppose, if you are a major contractor and not a little guy, this stuff reaches a point where it's just not practical or cost effective to use in a production operation anymore, and it gets sent to the back lot for "someday".
I wish I could remember where the front shot of the St Helens dozer is, that might help answer the question as to whether it's a D7 or D8 for sure.....
alan627b

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
A nice picture of the engine or valve cover would do it. Size of stuff on rear, ROPS etc. looks like a D7.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
The problem with a "valve cover" pic, is that the machine was exposed to the blast when the volcano blew, and the pic I had was taken from the front, looks even worse than this one does....no paint left, burned nearly completely, rust on almost everything, and nearly buried in debris.
I would try to find the pic, it's stored on one of my CD's, but....
Some time ago, the computer "lost" the E drive, which reads and burns CD's....I can put a known to be good CD in, and the computer won't recognize that one has been loaded.
Don't ask me how, I don't know...suffice to say, there are a lot of stored pics in My Pictures, waiting for the day when I can get it fixed!
alan627b

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Well its as simple as what engine does it have?
If there are 2 separate valve covers aka D342 or the nice little skinny one aka
3306 then we know what dozer it is.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Uh, maybe you misunderstand....I didn't actually take the photos...I live in Nebraska....it's in Washington state...I've never been there....and from what i remember of the pic in question, it would take another bulldozer to dig enough debris away to get close enough to see what engine is in there....hope this clarifies things!
alan627b

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've worked in the St. Helens area many times and don't recall seeing that particular dozer. The area in the photo does remind me of several machines up there.

The logging operations up there were Weyerhaeuser's or were gypos working for Weyerhaeuser. The unit in the photo is probably a D8H or K as previously stated. They were used mostly for road construction or as tail holds for a high lead operation. I don't recall ever seeing a D7 on a Weyerhaeuser operation but they had a few D6s. The square tubing on the ROPS tells me it was manufactured by Medford. The turbo being on the left side of the machine tells me it is a D342.

From its position I would suspect the machine was being used for a tail hold. I've seen loggers dig a hole and then put the dozer in it and hook the main line to the belly pan hook. See the photos for an example.

Camp 2 was outside of the blast zone but was hit hard by the mud flow coming down the Toutle river. Weyerhaeuser lost everthing in that camp.

Attachments

• D6 Tailhold.JPG
    D6 Tailhold.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 2,756
  • D6 Tailhold 2.JPG
    D6 Tailhold 2.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 2,634

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF texasdirtmover! :drinkup

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
I've worked in the St. Helens area many times and don't recall seeing that particular dozer. The area in the photo does remind me of several machines up there.

The logging operations up there were Weyerhaeuser's or were gypos working for Weyerhaeuser. The unit in the photo is probably a D8H or K as previously stated. They were used mostly for road construction or as tail holds for a high lead operation. I don't recall ever seeing a D7 on a Weyerhaeuser operation but they had a few D6s. The square tubing on the ROPS tells me it was manufactured by Medford. The turbo being on the left side of the machine tells me it is a D342.

From its position I would suspect the machine was being used for a tail hold. I've seen loggers dig a hole and then put the dozer in it and hook the main line to the belly pan hook. See the photos for an example.

Camp 2 was outside of the blast zone but was hit hard by the mud flow coming down the Toutle river. Weyerhaeuser lost everthing in that camp.

Those photos bring back some old memories. Looks like a 110' Skagit running a shotgun system with some type of motorized carriage? From the deflection on the skyline it looks like they are strecthed out there a fair bit. We used to have an old 8240 Terex that we used for a tail hold, we learned real quick to dig a deep hole and sometimes bury a log in front of the dozer for good measure. The rule of thumb was; if you thought the hole was deep enough, you dug 2 more feet, 3 if you were on a backside guyline.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
It's a D8H, and was serving as a tailhold for a Madill 009. Both machines are still there today. I'll post a few pics. I have lots, have been there many times since May 1980 when the mountain blew.

JDOFMEMI

Welcome to HEF Contract Logger

Glad you could join us. You have to make 3 posts before you can post pictures or attachments. Its to keep the bots away.

Your count shows 3 now, so if you try again it should work.