• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Ultimate Medium Dozer?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
"CAT" says it is Expensive!!!

Machine bought Used or New? What was engine failure from? Trans and TC?

A TD15E is about as Orphan as any out of production company machine will be.

Sand Plant here has a D7E that looks tired but runs well, serves well and requires little beyond routine maintenance.

hseII

"CAT" says it is Expensive!!!

Machine bought Used or New? What was engine failure from? Trans and TC?

A TD15E is about as Orphan as any out of production company machine will be.

Sand Plant here has a D7E that looks tired but runs well, serves well and requires little beyond routine maintenance.
It was wore out when he bought it evidently: ran good when they tried it out before buying it but….
That one was a 4 cylinder early power shift machine.

Regarding the TD15E, I thought so too but evidently there is TD support moreso than I realized here in the Southeast.

I am intrigued.

Cummins 8.3 for power & 2 speed steering. I’m trying to find out more.

Welder Dave

It only gets worse when you get into higher letters. Compared to some of the problems you hear about on electronic machines with emissions controls E may stand for economical.

hseII

It only gets worse when you get into higher letters. Compared to some of the problems you hear about on electronic machines with emissions controls E may stand for economical.
I apprenticed with the Local CAT dealer & was employed by them until the recession of 2008.
I believe the dozers from the late 1970s thru the pre-emissions early 2000s were the best overall.

charles walton

they need to design a dozer that doesn't have computers and tons of sensors and hydraulic pumps and trans pumps and it should have a small gas engine to start first and get the oil flowing and warm and then engage the diesel engine to start it, the blade could run off of cables and a mechanical winch and never blow a hose or cause heating issues and it would have a direct drive trans that would not over heat if maintained.....and it would take real operators that were real men to do the job of operating it,and they could be called cat skinners.....oh,wait a minute, I think it has already been done..lol

Montecresto

I’ve heard said if it’s not a Cat it’s a Dog…..

My first Dozer was a 1996 Cat D5C which I picked up in about 2005…….

I used it for about 4 years. Cleared land to build fencing, built 4 ponds, cleared pasture land, and then sold it for what I paid for it. I was thrilled to have it, found that I really enjoyed developing land with it, but thought it too expensive a piece of equipment to just have setting around most of the time just so I could go make improvements with it when I wanted to.

Then I bought a good size piece of land out in New Mexico against the National Forest and had a big and sudden need for one again. So in late 2018 I picked up a 2013 model Case 650L and oh my goodness, what a difference. I realize that a 2013 Cat would be awesome too. What a pleasure joystick operation is compared to that old foot steer. I could only be on that old thing for 2-3 hours at a time, now all day is no problem…..

I picked that Case up with 1780 hours and I’ve got about 2080 on it now and can’t think of anything I’d change on it (well, other than closed cab) as I just really enjoy the ease and speed at which I get things accomplished…..But that’s in a personal use capacity. I’m sure if I was a contractor and using it to make money, I’d want a lot of things different…..

IBRAHEEM YOUSAF

HELLO
I WORKING ON A D6 R CATERPILLAR DOZER. THE FUEL PUMP IS NOT PUMPING FUEL IN THE ENGINE. DUE TO THIS THE OIL PRESSURE ECPLODED THE HEAD TWICE. WE CHANGED THE HEAD AND ALSO THE INJECTION NOZLES. NOW THE ESM IS NOT SIGNALING THE FUEL PUMP TO SUPPLY FUEL TO THE ENGINE. THE BOOST PRESSURE IS ALWAYS ZERO. THE ENGINE IS CRANKING AND TAKES OFF UNITL THE CYLINDERS DONT HAVE THE FUEL, SO THE ENGINE SHUTS OFF. PLEASE RECOMMEND SOME IDEAS DIAGNOSIS FOR ENGINE RUNNING.