• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Track Crap-Shoot

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
I have 1240 hours on my OEM Bridgestones right now. The tread still has a lot of life, but there are a few deep cuts all the way across and the insides of the tracks are pretty bad. Its steel to steel at the sprocket contact points. I just replaced the sprockets to try to get more life out of the tracks.

I haven't priced Bridgestones yet, but Prowler / MWE tracks run roughly $2400 and Camoplast XHD's $2900 delivered. I'm interested (mostly) in the C-lug designs. I understand that most of the aftermarket tracks are Chinese, but I don't know which of the "names" have actual control over the manufacturing process. Not sure where Camoplast tracks are manufactured.

An internet search brings up some bad reviews about Solideal/Camoplast, but all of the reviews are pretty old. Same goes for McClaren. I've only seen one actual photo of Prowler tracks with any hours on them. The photos were of the multi-bar tread design, worn down to the nub at 1000 hours with steel hanging out. Prowler does say that the multi-bar treads wear quite a bit faster than C-lugs.

So...what I'm requesting is actual first hand "recent" experience with Camoplast or Prowler / MWE tracks. Hours used / conditions, etc. Or have you had a good experience with another manufacturer? And photos if you have them.

And for what its worth, my tracks rarely touch pavement, but I do run on gravel quite a bit.

Last edited:

JDOFMEMI

Recent experience of a close friend says stay clear of the aftermarket and pay the money for the Bridgestones.

McClaren did not last much longer than the Camoplast, and after a broken OEM (Bridgestone) due to a poor operator decision, one of each of the replacements was needed, plus a little of a third, to match the life of the other OEM track.

Fastdirt

Before replacing my tracks last summer I asked my H.E. mechanic for advise. He said the best aftermarket tracks were Rubertrax in Conyers Ga. He's been in the game for a long time and I took his advise. I haven't put a lot of hours on them so I can't give a long term review. It's an option for you with a positive reference. They are a huge outfit claiming to be the biggest dedicated rubber track warehouse in the country. They ship nationwide coast to coast regularly with a new West Coast warehouse.

http://www.rubbertrax.com/

I think they were around $3k for a TL150 and the OEM were close to $5k if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

skata

you got over 1200 hours on the original bridgestones. i'd say stick with the tried and true tracks, instead of trying to save a few bucks up front.

JNB

Occupation
Thanks for all the info so far guys. And skata...I have thought about going with OE tracks again, but I haven't priced them yet.

I noticed a bit of steel cord showing at the bottom of one of the tread cuts today. First I've seen that. I'm still going to run 'em til they die.

trackguy

Occupation
Internet Sales Team Member
Before replacing my tracks last summer I asked my H.E. mechanic for advise. He said the best aftermarket tracks were Rubertrax in Conyers Ga. He's been in the game for a long time and I took his advise. I haven't put a lot of hours on them so I can't give a long term review. It's an option for you with a positive reference. They are a huge outfit claiming to be the biggest dedicated rubber track warehouse in the country. They ship nationwide coast to coast regularly with a new West Coast warehouse.

http://www.rubbertrax.com/

I think they were around $3k for a TL150 and the OEM were close to $5k if I remember correctly.

Thanks Fastdirt, we appreciate it! :)

Eric Capps
Rubbertrax Inc

Ipatrickj865

I have a T300 with 3600 hours. Firestone's get around 1500 hours. Others get about half that. There is no equal replacement for the Firestone's short of going to metal tracks. If it's a farm machine...who cares. If you count on it every day...don't cheap out.

JNB

Occupation
I have a T300 with 3600 hours. Firestone's get around 1500 hours. Others get about half that. There is no equal replacement for the Firestone's short of going to metal tracks. If it's a farm machine...who cares. If you count on it every day...don't cheap out.

Pretty sure you mean Bridgestone. Anyway, I got pretty good hours on them, but the way the insides of the track deteriorate I'm not completely sold on them as replacements.

Thanks again Fastdirt. Eric from Rubbertrax shot me some very good pricing, so it looks like I'll be ordering from him when the unavoidable need arises.

Jlazaro317

I've used the Prowler and am happy with them. We've probably burned through 3-4 sets of the straight lug. I get about 800 hours out of them religiously and we run on pavement, dirt, gravel, and stone....and we work them hard. I prefer the Bridgestones but don't like the added cost. I get anywhere from 800-1200 hours out of them.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Bridge stones I would have to say are the best. That being said if you are getting 1000 hrs on anyone's tracks you are doing pretty good in my opinion...

Jlazaro317

Bridge stones I would have to say are the best. That being said if you are getting 1000 hrs on anyone's tracks you are doing pretty good in my opinion...

Agreed. My justification on not buying them again is twice the price for only 50% more life. If it was twice the life, it would be a no brainer.

rockman

Got a Tak TL12 , got around 750 hours on standard Bridgestones , will be lucky to get 500 out of McLarens .
All my work is on asphalt ,either profiling or sweeping so I can accept the low hours

rockman

Why use a track loader if you're always on asphalt?

My business used to consist of a small amount of profiling /sweeping work and the rest was doing house pads
When the building industry stopped I went full time doing the profiling work
At the time Takeuchi had not brought out there wheeled machine so I stuck with what I know
I also have an asphalt screed that I use for laying and the tracks allow more traction to push it when I am out wider or it gets over-filled

They may be an old uncomfortable dinosaur but the Tak's work well for me

Shimmy1

What are some things to look for on the tracks to see how they are doing? I have ran the hell out of my 770 this summer on the shop project, a couple of tree jobs, and a couple of other jobs. Have almost 200 hrs on it and the tracks still look like new. I know I'm probably going to get some flack, but when I'm running it, it's ¾ to full throttle, and only comes out of high if it can't push it. I obviously slow down on rough stuff, but when I'm grading and the site is good, it's wide open as fast as it'll go. I never had tracks before this one, and I'll never have tires again.

JNB

Occupation
Shimmy - In my case there was plenty of tread left and a lot of cuts / some chunkinig, but the insides of both tracks had huge cracks where the rollers ride. I'm sure water getting in there with some grit just makes it worse.

I just noticed that I didn't update this thread when I replaced the tracks. I had 1240 hours on the Bridgestones when I started the thread and didn't get another 2 hours on them before two of the steel lugs on one track broke right where it runs over the sprocket. I got a set of new block pattern tracks from Rubbertrax, along with new rear idlers. So far I'm right at 40 hours on the tracks. No cuts yet and the little molding ribs on the tread blocks are still there. We'll see how they hold up.

AMTequipParts

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts sales
Over the last 10 years or so I've dealt with ITR rubber tracks. They are an excellent solution to avoid paying high OEM prices. The quality of the tracks are very comparable to other brands out there online. I personally owned a Bobcat T190 and my machine had ITR tracks on it. They held up very well in mud, loose dirt, deep woods, etc. Even doing some concrete demo with the machine and running over jagged concrete, they resisted a lot of cracks and tears that other tracks wouldn't have. I have nothing bad to say about their tracks and when it comes to saving money and getting a product that holds up just as well as OEM, these are perfect.

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
Land Management, Fencing, Metal Buildings, Arenas,
JNB.....the new pattern tread you got is it different than the OEM you had? If so can you notice any improvements in traction/pushing? I have about 1050 hours on my oem bridgestone big block pattern and saving up for replacements. I'm looking into either the C pattern, or possibly prowler EXT if I can find reviews on them. I want something that is better traction than that big block tread pattern.