• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Track Crap-Shoot

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
I ended up getting the same block pattern as the Bridgestones, but the new ones do push harder. I don't know if it's the deeper tread because they're new, or possibly a bit softer compound, but it's very noticeable. I've been running into a lot of ground water and sharp limestone for the last couple of months installing precast culvert ends, but the tracks only have a couple of small cuts. I'm pretty careful to keep them from spinning, but no chunking which surprises me. The new tracks do have a lot less vibration than the old ones on hardpack and asphalt. Overall I'm happy with them so far.

Not sure what the EXT tread pattern is, but the new OEM pattern I saw on a New Holland machine looked pretty interesting.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I am getting to the point of needing tracks and and sprockets. I like the look of the new CNH track. I think it would be better in snow and ice than the Bridgestone block pattern. I have been talking to guys with the new CNH pattern and so far it is holding up well.

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
Land Management, Fencing, Metal Buildings, Arenas,
I guess I'll have to Google that tread pattern, not sure I've noticed the new ones, unless they're the C lug style? The EXT tracks from prowler are like a tractor tread, one direction. They look real interesting just can't find a whole lot of reviews on them, or life expectancy from a dif style tread.

JNB

Occupation
I grabbed the first link that came up, but you can see one of the new tread patterns here http://weltsch.com/3-year-warranty-on-new-holland-skid-steer-and-compact-track-loaders/. The tracks in the photos is an offset straight lug, but not the pattern I was thinking of. I saw another at the local dealership that looked a bit like the Camoplast "z" pattern, but with more space between the lugs. I'll see if I can get a pic this week and name off of the tracks.

Edit - Ah...My memory failed me on the z pattern, but I found the pattern I was thinking of in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj1hFYYfVwY.

Last edited:

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
I see, yeah looks like the mtl style tracks, except looks like the lugs might be a little larger and possibly wouldn't chip as bad? I've seen a pattern fairly close to that but looked like the lugs were spaced a little further apart.

I'm trying to find a tread pattern to use the machines power to the full extent, with it weighing 11.5k# I want to utilize the traction force the best I can. As well as being a good pattern for rock. I'm real easy on the machine in rock, no tight turns, no spinning. I would say 1/4 of the machines life so far is on large rock, and gravel.

JNB

Occupation
I hear ya!

The guy at Prowler told me, block pattern for best wear and C pattern for more pushing power. I flip-flopped between the two for awhile before I waited too long and had to have new tracks NOW. If I had planned it out better I probably would've talked myself into the C's.

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
Just saw a pattern straight lug, slightly offset McLaren next gen tdf. Sounds like a fairly extreme pattern for heavy duty applications from the specs.

Tags...what block pattern was it the dealer was having good luck with from camso?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I grabbed the first link that came up, but you can see one of the new tread patterns here http://weltsch.com/3-year-warranty-on-new-holland-skid-steer-and-compact-track-loaders/. The tracks in the photos is an offset straight lug, but not the pattern I was thinking of. I saw another at the local dealership that looked a bit like the Camoplast "z" pattern, but with more space between the lugs. I'll see if I can get a pic this week and name off of the tracks.

Edit - Ah...My memory failed me on the z pattern, but I found the pattern I was thinking of in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj1hFYYfVwY.

The company that makes those tracks is Hiqual. I sent out for price quote.

JNB

Occupation
The company that makes those tracks is Hiqual. I sent out for price quote.

Thanks for figuring that one out.

Tags - I wonder how those smaller lugs on the track in your link would hold up in rocky conditions. The other track they offer looks interesting http://camso.co/en/products-solutions/construction/products?utm_source=camso.co,camoplastsolideal.com&utm_medium=redirect_construction,redirect&utm_campaign=camso_redirect,camso_redirect&productType=1219&vehicleType=1236. I like the way they modified the C for better cleanout and possibly better traction (?).

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
I am also curious about that track holding up in Rocky conditions. I've seen that track pattern on I think both Volvo, and JCB ctl's from the factory.

I sent off for a price quote on the McLaren next gen tdf tracks. The specs make it sound like its for extreme conditions and good choice for Rocky ground and gravel.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The price I got back from HiQual on the tracks posted in JNB's link is $2500 for both tracks with shipping to Idaho.

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
That is a real good price, what's the quality of that brand though? There's a dif track that I like from 3 brands. I may be trying to order tracks in May.

I'm still waiting on a quote for those McLaren tracks.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Well for what it is worth I found this out. CNH went to this brand of track and tread design, they increased some of their performance specs by doing so over the Bridgestone. I believe this to be due to the tread design. I also suspect, but don't know first hand that this tread design may not last as long as the typical BS CTL track for the same reason. Those big flat pads wear pretty well especially on hard surfaces. I don't think this tread from HiQual will last as long simply due to the tread design.

I am tempted to order a set and just have them on hand if I break one, which like happened to JNB could happen to me at anytime.

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
Here's what McLaren replied to my question regarding track style on rocks....

Our Next Gen TDF track is specifically designed to hold up better than any other track out there for working in rock and gravel. Also, does well in snow. It actually has more rubber on the inside of the track to take the beating from the undercarriage of your machine.

They quoted this at $3600 delivered for a Kubota svl90 with 17.5" wide tracks.

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
Those bridgestone big flat block style tread came on my machine. I use a bit on gravel and rock...but I am careful on it and how I turn, etc. I've got 1100 hours on the tracks, they have cuts and chunks out of the tread, and just has started to pit in the last 200 hours. The depth of the tread is measured half a new track. I've been pleased with the tracks, just feel maybe there's a better pattern for more traction and still hold up to rocks good.