• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Toy Shop - Show off your Homemade toy machines

Born2clearcut

I have noticed throughout the forums some very talented people that have made some pretty cool homemade toys . I have made a couple myself , so i figure we should have a spot too show them off . so Please show your toys .

This log loader i made is pretty much just from memory so its kinda just a mix of machine type. Main house is made out of oak , the counter weight ,cab , boom ,stick are Spalted Walnut , Heel and tracks are walnut with a maple burl undercarriage. All rams go in and out the grapple open /close /rotate and swings free .
tracks turn and house swings 360 degrees.

Attachments

• log loadersm.jpg
    log loadersm.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 8,508
  • log loader (3)sm.jpg
    log loader (3)sm.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 6,248
  • log loader (1)sm.jpg
    log loader (1)sm.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 4,793
  • log boatsm.jpg
    log boatsm.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 4,633
  • log loader (2)sm.jpg
    log loader (2)sm.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 4,581

instagator

That is a really nice beer bottle! LOL just playing the loader looks really nice. How do you get the booms to stay up, and how long did it take you to build it?

skadill

Roadbuilder Conversion

Custom plastic high walker U/C,cab riser,old type guarding,roadbuilder fuel tank.Havent got around to the hyd. thumb yet.Tough to find time to do the fun stuff.Model was originally a Yellow 25$ Ros Agri model Hyundai 290.Bic pen springs make good hose guards.

Attachments

• DSCN0513.jpg
    DSCN0513.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 4,314
  • DSCN0514.jpg
    DSCN0514.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 4,306

Ryan Rønning

Occupation
Army Diesel Tech and field maintenace teck
Very nice work you guys. These are awesome looking. What is the scale on both of your models?

Born2clearcut

You think the outside of the bottle is nice,you should of seen the inside instagator lol . I made snug fitting pins for the boom ect also the the rams are a snug fit inside the cylinders so they seem to really help hold everything up. For how many hours i never really kept track . took alot of time to design some things since i had no plans and first time i done something like this ... Ryan Ronning the scale on mine is just Eyeballed to fit ( before the beer bottle was empty ;) ) . Thats a good idea with the pen springs skadill

Jdigger4130

Great stuff fellas! I am enroute as I write to the Harrisburg Or toy show! I hope to return w a yarder in 25th scale and who knows what else. I have A table and will be taking many pics. I have not made anything on my own yet except some long logger chassis for practice but have A few handmade things you guys should like! Will get pics going soon I hope! Thanks for sharing it w us

skadill

Homemade loader and truck.Loader took 120 hours in1992,truck took 80 to build in1997.Hats off to the wooden toy builders,I cant do wood,if you make a mistake,you start over,Steel toys just get re-cut,welded and a clean up with a grinder, theres much more room for repair and mistakes,which is the only way I can run.

Attachments

• img075.jpg
    img075.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 8,186
Last edited:

MOUNTAIN MAN

(Life)Tete Jaune B.C/(Live)Grande Prairie AB
Occupation
School, grd 10 now!
I have noticed throughout the forums some very talented people that have made some pretty cool homemade toys . I have made a couple myself , so i figure we should have a spot too show them off . so Please show your toys .

This log loader i made is pretty much just from memory so its kinda just a mix of machine type. Main house is made out of oak , the counter weight ,cab , boom ,stick are Spalted Walnut , Heel and tracks are walnut with a maple burl undercarriage. All rams go in and out the grapple open /close /rotate and swings free .
tracks turn and house swings 360 degrees.

I noticed a RaceFace sticker, do you mountain bike by chance? And amazing model, wow....wow wow. So cool. And by the way, RaceFace has gone out of business lately.

MOUNTAIN MAN

(Life)Tete Jaune B.C/(Live)Grande Prairie AB
Occupation
School, grd 10 now!
Homemade loader and truck.Loader took 120 hours in1992,truck took 80 to build in1997.Hats off to the wooden toy builders,I cant do wood,if you make a mistake,you start over,Steel toys just get re-cut,welded and a clean up with a grinder, theres much more room for repair and mistakes,which is the only way I can run.

Saw these on youtube, I'd spend hours playing with those Todd, no doubt about that, I'd be 6 years old again!

Born2clearcut

I noticed a RaceFace sticker, do you mountain bike by chance? And amazing model, wow....wow wow. So cool. And by the way, RaceFace has gone out of business lately.

yes i do some mountain biking its fun and keeps me in shape. Right now i'm riding a Giant Warp DS3 adjustable dual suspension, nice smooth ride:cool: and Thanks for the compliment on my model :)

Attachments

• mountbikesm.jpg
    mountbikesm.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 3,740

KW850&T800H

COPPA
Hey clear cut, it's me Mountain man here on my new profile, I'll post a picture of my bike once I get onto my computer, although we don't want to lose this thread. But I will since we both do it.

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Madill 124 Madill 044 1969

Here are a few of the models I have built over the years. Just winged it wth pictures lots of kindling for the old wood stove though...

Attachments

• S5001838 - Copy.JPG
    S5001838 - Copy.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 3,660
  • S5001834 - Copy.JPG
    S5001834 - Copy.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 3,507
  • S5001840 - Copy.JPG
    S5001840 - Copy.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 3,424
  • S5001862 - Copy.JPG
    S5001862 - Copy.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 3,439
  • S5001854 - Copy.JPG
    S5001854 - Copy.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 3,435

Jdigger4130

Here are a few of the models I have built over the years. Just winged it wth pictures lots of kindling for the old wood stove though...
Great job!! I am looking for A guy to make me yarder in 25th scale in plastic. That is something to be real proud of Murk.

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
7280s

I have built 6 of them, kept 2, donated 2 to the TLA silent auction which razed over $1400. for their education fund and gave 2 away..

Attachments

• S5000837.jpg
    S5000837.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 3,391
  • S5000822.jpg
    S5000822.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 3,363
  • P2050001.jpg
    P2050001.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 3,646
  • P4210004.jpg
    P4210004.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 3,385
  • S5000823.jpg
    S5000823.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 3,384

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Thanks!! my wife said if someone cut the top of my head off all these little Grapple Yarders would come crawling out like spiders...
Great job!! I am looking for A guy to make me yarder in 25th scale in plastic. That is something to be real proud of Murk.

akroadrunner

Occupation
Gravel Pit/ Trucking/Owner
You guys sure are talented. Must be very patient too. I used to make some 'useful' toys. I was working on the landing on the Quinault Indian Reservation. I just didn't have a good place to take my lunch break. I usually just found a nearby stump to sit on. One day I decided to carve a seat out of the stump. I bored the bar of my McCulloch into a cedar stump and pulled out a block that left me with a nice place to sit down. The sides were just high enough to rest my arms. I started making several of these seats at every landing. Just choose a suitable cedar close to the yarder, and in a minute or so of chainsaw work, I had a chair. Got better every time I made one. I had one I liked so well, I cut the stump off and when we moved off that setting, I put it in the bed of our dump truck and hauled it home. That was in 1976. I sold the house with the 6' diameter stump/chair setting on the concrete patio in front of the house. The roof overhung the front of the house enough to keep the stump out of the weather. I drove out to the beach a couple of years ago. The chair/stump hadn't moved, but it was obviously being used by the current owner. There was an ashtray and a glass sitting on it, and a cushion on the bottom. I wonder how many people have spotted my stump chairs out in the woods and sat down and tried them out.

trakloader

You guys sure are talented. Must be very patient too. I used to make some 'useful' toys. I was working on the landing on the Quinault Indian Reservation. I just didn't have a good place to take my lunch break. I usually just found a nearby stump to sit on. One day I decided to carve a seat out of the stump. I bored the bar of my McCulloch into a cedar stump and pulled out a block that left me with a nice place to sit down. The sides were just high enough to rest my arms. I started making several of these seats at every landing. Just choose a suitable cedar close to the yarder, and in a minute or so of chainsaw work, I had a chair. Got better every time I made one. I had one I liked so well, I cut the stump off and when we moved off that setting, I put it in the bed of our dump truck and hauled it home. That was in 1976. I sold the house with the 6' diameter stump/chair setting on the concrete patio in front of the house. The roof overhung the front of the house enough to keep the stump out of the weather. I drove out to the beach a couple of years ago. The chair/stump hadn't moved, but it was obviously being used by the current owner. There was an ashtray and a glass sitting on it, and a cushion on the bottom. I wonder how many people have spotted my stump chairs out in the woods and sat down and tried them out.

Drawn by the great Len Whalen.

Attachments

• akroadrunner at work.gif
    akroadrunner at work.gif
    86 KB · Views: 3,117

akroadrunner

Occupation
Gravel Pit/ Trucking/Owner
Well, I laughed my hind quarters off. Hahaha. I never got a chance to get that comfortable working for 'the old man'. There were tricks to making those stump chairs. The back had to be angled a bit, and on the bottom the front needed to be just a little higher than the back. Also don't make it too deep or it's not right for resting you arms on. I actually used measurements to make mine after the first few. Another thing I liked to make on the landing was a sun dial. I would shove the bar down into a stump, then pound a sliver of wood in the kerf. I cut lines on top of the stump for starting time, noon, quitting time, ect. Some stumps came ready made with a splinter from falling already sticking up. Just cut in the time lines.
On another note. Does anyone remember a fellow named Duncan that used to do cartoons and calanders? Was injured in the woods in the 70's, and did the art work afterwards. One qoutation I remember from a calander. 'Over the hill came Band Aid Bill, Over to the high lead side. I'll never forget these words he said, just before he died, "Remember boys, Safety First"
Someone that is good at cut & paste should monogram 'Smoke" on the happy lounger, and 'Dad or Keith' on the unhappy boss. I might use it for my desktop then.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Well, I laughed my hind quarters off. Hahaha. I never got a chance to get that comfortable working for 'the old man'. There were tricks to making those stump chairs. The back had to be angled a bit, and on the bottom the front needed to be just a little higher than the back. Also don't make it too deep or it's not right for resting you arms on. I actually used measurements to make mine after the first few. Another thing I liked to make on the landing was a sun dial. I would shove the bar down into a stump, then pound a sliver of wood in the kerf. I cut lines on top of the stump for starting time, noon, quitting time, ect. Some stumps came ready made with a splinter from falling already sticking up. Just cut in the time lines.
On another note. Does anyone remember a fellow named Duncan that used to do cartoons and calanders? Was injured in the woods in the 70's, and did the art work afterwards. One qoutation I remember from a calander. 'Over the hill came Band Aid Bill, Over to the high lead side. I'll never forget these words he said, just before he died, "Remember boys, Safety First"
Someone that is good at cut & paste should monogram 'Smoke" on the happy lounger, and 'Dad or Keith' on the unhappy boss. I might use it for my desktop then.

I think you are referring to Glen Duncan, always had a small mouse somewhere in the sketch. I believe he was a powder monkey for either CZ or Rayonier out on the West End. I heard he died just a few years ago. Personal favorite; the cuttter with the tree drifting towards the bullbuck's truck calling out to the sky: "Blow damn you blow!"