• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Pipeline

HEO Girl

Here, there, and everywhere in Maine and beyond
Occupation
Fence & Guardrail Installation
This is an interesting thread and warrants a better place here on HEF than TGIF.;) Let's move it to Jobsite Coordination. Keep us posted HEO Girl and good work!:thumbsup

Woohoo! Finally moving up a little :D thanks!

Monday we had all came in as usual to start the day but the warehouse wasn't open and they were telling us not to load up trucks until after the Monday morning safety meeting. That is where we all learned about what had happened:

As of yesterday the job had been shut down by TVA due to one of our hammer ho's hitting the high tension (61k volt) power lines on Saturday. It burnt everything to a crisp in a 30 foot radius of the ho and they say flames shot up from the tracks. The guy running the ho jumped out of his machine, ran, got in his truck, and drove off. No one's heard from him since. No one was killed or injured.

The lines usually sag in the heat of the day they say, but that really didn't play a factor in what had happened. One of the lines was as low as 26 feet (measured after the accident). At noon on Saturday he was on a hill hammering out a bore hole. They had built a road so as to not get to close to the lines, however the operator made the decision to slide down the hill on the other side instead of following what he had been doing and that's when he struck the line. It arc'd out before he actually touched it but they do say that he did make contact.

I don't know if anyone here has dealt with TVA but they are a federally owned big giant company that doesn't mess around. It's either their way or the high way and they move at their own pace.

Now the company has to figure out how to show TVA that no more incidents will happen again.

Yesterday 2 laborers from each crew went to learn how to become spotters. These laborers will wear orange vests and be with the ho at all times when operating. So now laborers are doing what oilers should be doing. :beatsme

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
LoL, how true Turbo, "Oh no, Bentonite!", as if the alarmists want us to think it's some kind of "it's going to kill us!" material. When in fact it's a natural clay material, totally harmless. For those who don't know the product, commonly used in drilling. Let's say you drill a drinking water well. You hit water at 150 ft down. You install a steel pipe (casing) in the hole to just above the water you hit to make a clear path to the water. The casing is what you'll install your well pump down to the water. Once casing is installed, you'll place bentonite for several feet around the end of the casing to make a seal to prevent surface contaminants going around outside of casing and contaminating drinking water. That's right, it's so dangerous that we use it to seal a drinking water well. :D

Yes it's drill mud, harmless. I guess maybe those people are confusing the normal bentonite-and-water drill mud used for horizontal directional drilling with fracking fluid used in gas well drilling?

Oxbow

As of yesterday the job had been shut down by TVA due to one of our hammer ho's hitting the high tension (61k volt) power lines on Saturday. It burnt everything to a crisp in a 30 foot radius of the ho and they say flames shot up from the tracks. The guy running the ho jumped out of his machine, ran, got in his truck, and drove off. No one's heard from him since. No one was killed or injured.

The operator is lucky to be alive if he jumped out. An articulated haul truck driver in this area died a couple of years ago during a severe lightning storm as he touched his foot to the ground.

Enjoy the rest of the project HEO girl!

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Do keep us informed Heo Girl. How far are you from Maine?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
About 1200 miles south I would guess Stock.

stock

Occupation
She a long way from home. Almost half way across the country. And a lot further south.

About 1200 miles south I would guess Stock.

Thanks CM ....some other folks seem to forget that if I drive fast for three hours in any direction I'd drown in the sea as Eire is only a wee island.......

"America or The Americas are two continents stretching for 42,549,000 km2.
Ireland is a moderately sized island in the north Atlantic sized in at 84,421 km2.

So America is about 500 times larger than Ireland.

If you meant the United States of America it is 88 times larger."

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Thanks CM ....some other folks seem to forget that if I drive fast for three hours in any direction I'd drown in the sea as Eire is only a wee island.......

I hear ya' Stock. It takes me 4.5/5 hours to drive to the Gulf of Mexico and never leave the State of Alabama. Maine to Tennessee is quite a haul.

HEO Girl

Occupation
Hey guys! Sorry I haven't posted sooner. It got quite busy there, still is really but I figure I'd give you all an update.

We did end up going back to work the next day after I posted about them shutting the job down. So Wednesday of last week is when we started back up. I guess the spotter class and a lot of sweet talking did the trick for us. We've been pretty steady since then putting in about 3,000 feet a day of silt fence (wire back and regular) and safety fence (aka snow fence where I come from at least). Now that number isn't for each one, it's combined so usually 3,000 feet total for the day. I imagine at the pace we all go we could get much more as we are usually right up our mini ho's butt while putting in fence. Either way you look at it we are definitely making the company some money.

It's starting to get hot. I know, 80-90* piece of cake right? Well I come from Maine where the high all summer can be 90* for like 1 day... so for me it's pretty damn hot. I'm just thankful I came in this time where I get a warm up period instead of getting thrown right into 110* heat like last year.

We got what I like to call a Bad*** on the crew now. Someone who is around my age, been doing this 3 or so years, thinks he knows it all. I'm sure he knows quite a bit more than I do no doubt but it's just the way he throws it out there in your face. Well today I schooled him on reading simple plans. He has told us many times before that he could read any kind of plan. My foreman gave him the plans on the page where we were for the day and asked him to point to where we started and where we are now and to give him station numbers. The guy pointed to the opposite end and read the station number as 3+00. The numbers were spaced out due to it running into a creek and two of the other numbers were on the other side of the creek on the page. My foreman then went to me and asked me to show him the same thing. I had to look for a minute to figure out where the road was but once I found that I pointed and said we started at 562+00 and were up to 583+00. He asked me how many feet that was and I replied 2,100. He told me thanks, put the plans back in his truck and told us to get back to work. The guy didn't really talk to me much the rest of the day, think he was a little pride hurt.

But yeah, that's pretty much it. More silt fence, and... more silt fence. Haven't really taken any pictures but I should, I think threads are so much more exciting when you have pictures!

I put Moose back in boarding school, he was with me for 2 weeks out there but the ticks are horrible! Poor thing was coming home with about as many if not more than what I had. I take off at least 15 on me at the end of the day. At one point I had 21 on me. Different school this time though as the other place didn't inform me he was getting a little thin while he was there and when I went to pick him up you could see hip bones and back bone. I was NOT impressed. This new kennel he's in is 100x better. They actually train police and protection dogs but have a basic obedience course as well. He's there for a month and I expressed my concerns for his weight and told them the story, they assured me they would keep a close eye on it and I gave them permission to up his food anytime. He gets exercised a lot more there and they have a better handle on just how much he should have. So hopefully by the time I get him back he won't look like I abuse him! I still visit him on Sundays, they let me play with him in the fenced in yard which is really nice. Here are some pictures of him.

943061_10152826797590023_709695281_n.jpg
The day I left him.

263331_10152827596610023_711820747_n.jpg
Learning the sit. This place does not use 'stay' as a command. If told to sit the dog should stay in the sitting position until told it is ok to move again. Same thing with the command down. So even though he knows sit and down already he has to relearn them both, in a sense, as he is used to 'sit', 'stay'.

Do keep us informed Heo Girl. How far are you from Maine?
I am 1,248 miles from my house. And it takes me around 22 hours if not more to get home, that's accounting for traffic and pee stops.

Last edited:

HEO Girl

Occupation
Picture Overload!

I will now commence to upload loads of pictures for you guys to make up for my lack of it lately! :D

nap time.jpg
A little nap time. Shh, don't tell the boss.

run of pipe.jpg
A run of pipe. I never knew what those weird tractors with the canopies attached to them were. They call them a tack rig. Spoiled welders.

silt fence delivery.jpg
Silt fence delivery service. The ho carried it about half way for us before he had to drop it and use his bucket to help him threw the mud. Half way is better than nothing!

Wash out 2.jpg
We spent a couple hours in this one spot and really beefed it up. This place had washed out twice due to storms and we were for sure we had it this time. Silt sock, hay, extra stakes, replaced silt fence. We even put up some silt fence up the hill a little ways and the ho made a nice deep hole for the silt to run into in case it got so high it went over the water bar. We weren't ever coming back here again for a wash out... 20 minutes later it rained, I mean it was like someone dropped the ocean on us. We spent the next 2 hours repairing and cleaning out the silt that had washed down again. The water was so bad it even managed to push the silt sock we had staked in to the side.

Wash Out.jpg

HEO Girl

Occupation
chipper.jpg
Clearing crew with their chipper.

Help up hill.jpg
Getting some help up and down some hills when loaded. I've seen them have to help the trucks unloaded too. Just not enough traction on the rocks/road that was built.

horse fence.jpg
Probably my favorite place for the day. Everyone said she was mean but in actuality she was super friendly. I even shared part of my lunch (apple) with her. I talked to her owner who said she was an old trail horse he had had for 20 years now. Said she was retired, and that her name was Annie-B.

HEO Girl

Occupation
Here are some pictures of one of the direction drill pads This is the one that got shut down due to the frack out in Radnor.
directional drill.jpg

directional drill 3.jpg

directional drill2.jpg

Drill Site Panorama.jpg
A panoramic picture of the drill site. There are 2 drills here one to the right and one to the left that you can't see very well.

KWD

interesting pictures

kmow what you mean about the dog, I prefer mine to 99% of people

stock

Occupation
interesting pictures

know what you mean about the dog, I prefer mine to 99% of people

Strange thing for a mick to say................

Excellent as always Heogirl.................

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Those welders ain't spoiled ours just sit in their trucks in the ac most of the day.

HEO Girl

Occupation
Dozerboy, trust me ours do too. It's almost like they are untouchable, like some kind of gods in a sense. They mostly stick to themselves. Heaven forbid if you ever had a problem with one of them, you'd be long gone before anyone would ever think about reprimanding or running one of them off.

Although I will admit there are some pretty decent one's here.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Stock , there less hassle than people

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk for two hours and see which one is happy to see you when you open the hatch.:D

Oxbow

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk for two hours and see which one is happy to see you when you open the hatch.:D

I like my dog too much to do that to him! (Just kidding Sweetie, good thing she doesn't read this).