• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Pipeline

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Now there you go saying that the daily grind is boring, well we only get snow /frost of any consequence every 40 years or so and the most recent event one was in 2010.
At the moment we are having a lot of storms and a huge amount of rain land here is carrying close to twice the average normal rainfall, winter lakes everywhere and river breaking their banks etc etc. At present the temps are in the low single figures between 2-6 oC.

So areyou feeding hay or silage to the beasties?

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Stock hay. round bales.

002 (640x480).jpg

That's the feeding/blowing tractor.

Bales are about 1500 pounds.

Rick

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Who made the tractor?

HEO Girl

Here, there, and everywhere in Maine and beyond
Occupation
Fence & Guardrail Installation
Ok Stock. 17 dig ups! The pig found 17 of them suckers and in some pretty inconvenient places. They were deciding on whether or not to shut down for the winter or finish it. Well the weather is not cooperating so they are shutting down in 2 or 3 weeks. They ended up having to move a station due to some apartment complexes being built and the station is to close so it will be built down the hill. So at the moment they are doing their dig ups and rough clean ups and will be back in the spring.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Well as I stated above he called me, said he's going to steward down in Mississippi, said he'd have work for at least 4 months for me if I wanted to come down and oil, starts in the spring. Same company, different spreadman. Supposedly he's not a nice spreadman either. Oh well I'm used to butt heads, where's the fun if everyone got along anyways? He said I'd have to let him know for sure by the end of Feb if I was coming and I'd be in the group of first hire ons.
Helllllloooooooo oilers book .

I think that is an excellent way to learn about equipment. Most of the old operators I knew started out that way, especially crane operators. You will learn more by lubricating the machines, and just being around them in general in one day on an actual job than in a month of school. It's a dying job, and that's a shame because without that opportunity it's so much harder for young people to break in. Keep paying the laborers dues until you get an actual book, I mean one with the plastic card, not just a piece of paper. Even then maybe keep the laborer's book, I don't think there's any rule against it. I have met guys who have both,(pipeliners like you) and AFAIK, no one said anything about it.

HEO Girl

Here, there, and everywhere in Maine and beyond
Occupation
Fence & Guardrail Installation
Oh I'd keep the laborers book. I get a card when I renew my laborers book. I've seen some who have plastic ones and others who have kind of like cardboard that they stick in the plastic insert (what I got). I don't believe there is any rule against having multiple books. I want to keep myself open to all opportunities, never know when you'll need to fall back to a laborer when there's no oilers work you can get.

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
Round Beam vs Pipe Fighters

Hi HEO Girl since this seems to be the pipeline section I thought it would be invaluable
to the others here to read this link. Maybe you or someone would be so kind as to
post a link because I'm still learning how to post pictures.
Sewerpipehistory.org pdf "Long Pipe" best regards Fix

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
Hi Bucket thanks but no that's not it maybe try to Google sewerpipe
long pipe