• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Nature Of Crane Rental Work

Tiny

I get a call that the Grove 5150 is done during lunch Friday afternoon . Boss said its going to Ottawa Ks. (It was in Gardner Ks) Monday so just put both counterweight loads were we can get them out in case of rain .

I'm thinking "Sweet , I'll get this done and head home early" ....But the old adage about " If you miss overtime all week long You will get it on Friday" bit me square in the back side .

Boss calls , Sister company has had plant breakdown and they need a crane to swap crusher parts . They have an Asphalt Plant customer that needs rock Monday , Said it was a GOOD customer .So they needed to be up and running Saturday morning .

They did have another unit rebuilt so that that helped .

Just Me on two loads so it took a bit to get set back up , But it was just another reminder that you can't make plans to do anything until your in the pickup headed home . Which I did , After dark

Attachments

• vsi 3 (Small).jpg
    vsi 3 (Small).jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 689
  • vsi (Small).jpg
    vsi (Small).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 676
  • vsi 2 (Small).jpg
    vsi 2 (Small).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 669
  • vsi 4 (Small).jpg
    vsi 4 (Small).jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 684
  • vs1 1 (Small).jpg
    vs1 1 (Small).jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:

gostr8r

Occupation
Full time crane operator for Crane Rental Corp sin
At least ya have a positive attitude at it all.

Good shots and looks like a job well done too Tiny.

Phill

Occupation
land Survey Assistant
that says alot about you if you get asked to work OT on a friday :) great job guy, i hope you got to enjoy your weekend

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, my relation to rental equipment is repairing it Tiny. My question, concerning rental, why is it 9 times out of 10, the phone DOES NOT RING about a machine down until 3:01 PM or after??? :Banghead

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I'm with Willie on this one. I've had far to many long Fridays and Saturdays because someone couldn't think of any other way to go home early on Friday, other than break the machine.

FSERVICE

i with you on that willie. but when they call that late they usually also say they have been workin on it all day and cant seem to get it fixed. they also say they need it for sat morning. gotta love it,just charge accordingly!!!

53cummins

i agree tiny, yesterday i was 2 hours from the shop and a half hour from the job and got the call that the communications building we were going to load out didnt have lifting lugs on it.... job canceled.... but wait there, might be a job for sat. sun. mon and tues. building drill rig. so we sit around for 2 hours then get the call that they canceled that job before we even had permits to get there, so 2 hours back the shop. so i drove around in my 5150 watching leaves change colors all day.... and never even started the upper!:Banghead

Tiny

It's Nutz at times , Boss will map out the whole day.Then one call and its a complete reshuffle of men and equipment . Think my last dry run was a couple of weeks ago .

60 miles into a 100 mile trip I get a cell call to return to base drop the 5150 weights and grab the ac 180 weights , Customer added another lift that was out of the 5150s chart .

Payed to make a scenic cruise . Pretty cool , Just part of the rental bis .

Last edited:

53cummins

yep, as long as it is money in my pocket and not out of my pocket then its fine with me