• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

the largest crawler loaders in comparison caterpillar 983, komatsu D155S strengths defects character

sawmilleng

Re: ih100 comments on the JCB controls: It's surprising how the "small things" screwed up a machine that possibly was just as good as the Cats of the era. Obviously the engineers at the factory did not pay close attention to the ergonomics of the control station...

Jon.

Welder Dave

May have been innovative but JCB machines from the 70's were very crude and bulky, especially the backhoe loaders. The sloped in sides on the loaders probably made some operators a little claustrophobic.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Liebherr had hystat from the start in their dozers and track loaders. Just don’t know when the start was.

I actually spent time in a JCB 112 over 30 years ago. The controls were the main thing wrong. Three separate levers for the bucket, all spaced out so it was hard to multi-function, and a lever for each track like an excavator. For a tight turn you needed two hands as the travel on them was too much for one handed operation other than almost in a straight line. If they’d fitted two joysticks they’d have sold a lot more, but as it was, the old front engined Cats and Kommies were far easier to operate.

IH was joystick technology around at the time?

Kinda fascinated with the loader for the simple fact it was "before it's time" machine and I'm a track loader guy.

Found this while searching -

Welder Dave

I couldn't tell if it sounded a little sick or not because of the other mini dozer. I think they used a Perkins engine that usually run pretty smooth. A better operator might have shown more of it's maneuverability and the tracks look way too tight. A Hough model 12 was way ahead of its time with a rear engine design in the 50's.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Another interesting video on the JCB track loader -

Really ahead of it's time.

ih100

IH was joystick technology around at the time?

Kinda fascinated with the loader for the simple fact it was "before it's time" machine and I'm a track loader guy.
When you dig it’s amazing how many companies had a go, if briefly, with rear engines hystats. O&K, Poclain, JCB, Cat, Dresser (think IH were nearly there before the buy-out), Liebherr, Deere. Hough were the daddies with their rear-engines mechanical drive. Apparently Cat bought one of the first to Go on sale. Apparently. Wonder why?:)

I‘ve often thought something like a 100 Drott with a hystat power train would be a damn sight better small machine than any of these CTL’s. Cat managed to sell a lot of 939’s but they were close to ten tonnes at the end.

I know in some quarters it’s sacrilege to say this, but the old IH implement joysticks transformed operation, and IH were using them as far back as the 1950’s. I can’t see why anyone would prefer separate levers yet you can still spec a Cat machine with either.

Mind you, I suppose a lot of newer operators can’t understand why anyone would prefer V-drive and steering pedals over a single joystick, but I hate the joystick drives.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I have a 1959 IH TD15 Drott skid shovel with a single joystick. It seemed odd at how smooth and efficient it worked next to the 2 stick/2 pedal steering, manual transmission, and over center main clutch lever.

Last edited:

trombeur

where I come from you can see old Fiaf Allis FL10s and old Caterpillar 941s, in the countryside to arrange land or in the hills to build roads or terraces, bulldozzers and dozers are not used
some tracked agricultural tractors with the front blade that can be removed but for agricultural applications.