• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The "C" I'm working on!

10ec

Occupation
Retired
Please keep the pictures coming. My machine is also missing the RTD micro switch & bracket assembly. From your helpful picture it doesn't appear to be terribly complicated and I may also wind up fabricating the missing items. Sometime in the future, I may be calling on you for dimensions. Currently I have other areas that are more important in the progression of getting the machine up and running again. BTW, I also need that seat spring part number. It seems you are leading the way in all things needed in repair of the 580C's.:)

Thanks.

AndrewK

This whole thread is fantastic. Couldn't have come at a better time! Looks like there are plenty of folks recently acquiring/repairing a 580c. Just got mine last week. :thumbsup

Thank you for taking the time to document your work. I'll be paying close attention. :notworthy

TheOldMan

Occupation
retired
Finally got to dig with it yesterday!! Dug about 1/4 of a big pine stump and blew the seals out of a swing cylinder. Since my outrigger cyls were both leaking, and I was going to pull them anyway, we got out the pressure washer, cleaned things up a bit and pulled swing cylinders and outrigger cyls. What a job! The 4 cyls go to the shop tomorrow, and I'm gonna have all 4 hoses made too, no sense putting the old ones back in. Probably have to live one beans the rest of the month, but gotta be done.

TheOldMan

Occupation
retired
Well made it thru the second day of beans, and really they ain't too bad. Wife says no more cylinder rblds, doesn't mind the money, but the gas is killing her.

Shrmndlit

Occupation
Work for Myself!
yes but he is extremely handy so a bit nervious about doing it myself????????

TheOldMan

Occupation
retired
Iopted to usethe rbld shop for several reasons. The one I used came very highly reccommended. They have a large facility, and do it all. I dropped the 4 cyls and 4 old hoses off at 8:30 AM, and they were ready to go home by 11:00. Now that's efficient. The main reason however, I received a check from the insurance co. for a $500 deductable that I thought I would never get, and thought, what an opportunity!!

Shrmndlit

Occupation
Work for Myself!
That would be a good reason for me as well! I called a few shops around here and they are talking around 2000 for 6 cyl ouch

GWS

Way out here in Oklahoma the rebuilds run $125.00 for the larger cylinders and $65.00 each for the swing cylinders. So far all that I have had rebuilt are working with no leaks. Odd thing is the one stabilizer cylinder that has all the rust nicks has never leaked:confused: I've got to have the dipper re-packed and it has some serious rust spots near the rod end. If it last through the summer I'll get another rod. At $360.00 for the rod and a new re-pack I'll have to start eating beans like TheOldMan:D

dwloop

I like lima beans myself... :D If I keep buying parts my wife says we will be there as well...

TheOldMan, your wife will be slipping you some Beano in your beer if you don't watch!!

Dave

GWS

I learned that BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand so I'm starting to think CASE = Crap Another Serious Expendature

Mikefromcny

Occupation
Mechanic
I guess I'm kinda lucky as far as cylinders go. I've done a bunch of smaller cylinders on the kubota. I pull it apart and bring the gland with me, they match everything up, and walk me through the install of new seals and what not..its been 25 per cylinder for parts. Its a real good shop, they even stock the leather cups for the old stuff.