• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex Quarry Truck

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I posted a thread about a Kawasaki loader at a Tilcon quarry, well now it seems the Caterpillar quarry trucks are being replaced by Terex. They have 3 or 4 new Terex trucks, but the Cats still outnumber them. It will be interesting to see if they get the service life from these alternate brands that the Cats have given. Prior to this, ALL their equipment was Cat.

Attachments

• Terex Quarry truck.JPG
    Terex Quarry truck.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 773

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Terex is a neat company. They are made up of over 35 different brands that they have acquired. They don't just throw together a machine to get a piece of the market. They redesign and rebrand some things to be able to present an affordable, but quality product to the market. I'd be willing to bet their trucks hold up pretty well, since they aren't really completely new.

Speaking of neat companies, it seems you can drive for days in any direction and still find a Tilcon. They have some serious toys as well :)

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I remember Terex being around as a kid and seeing green Euclid trucks and loaders with the Terex name on them. I don't know which was the parent company, but they disappeared for a while. It's only been the past few years I've seen them back with a new color and a bigger variety of equipment. It will be interesting to see how these machines work compared to the competition.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
I think they should have kept the green, but no one from Terex asked me :beatsme .
We tried out a Terex backhoe before buying the 420, but it was the dealer that turned us away. We asked about a used machine and he sent a sales rep to try and sell us a new one for $70,000 and we never did get a price on the used one. The machine felt strong and seemed up to par with other backhoes, but without a good dealer behind it, that didn't mean much.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
You've touched on something that many don't consider when purchasing equipment. You and I are blessed with a Cat dealer who offers outstanding support. A large fully equipped repair shop, numerous field repair trucks, a full service machine shop, overnight parts delivery and parts drop locations throughout the region are just some of their offerings. If your Cat should go down for some reason, they will work to get you up and running like no other dealer in the area.

While Caterpillar machines may cost a little more initially, I feel you get that back many times over with the dealer support that is offered. Down time is kept to a minimum.

xkvator

Steve Frazier said:
I remember Terex being around as a kid and seeing green Euclid trucks and loaders with the Terex name on them. I don't know which was the parent company, but they disappeared for a while. It's only been the past few years I've seen them back with a new color and a bigger variety of equipment. It will be interesting to see how these machines work compared to the competition.
TEREX was a GENERAL MOTORS division...sold it to a german co. & they took the technology and shut down the plants here.

xkvator

i'm not sure if it's the same co. from germany, now...i don't think so...the backhoes are FERMECS - i think the excavators are HATZ

cat320

Charter Member
xkvator said:
TEREX was a GENERAL MOTORS division...sold it to a german co. & they took the technology and shut down the plants here.

Yup they took the info and ran put alot of americans out of work .Terex was good for the fact that they had allison tranies in them and detriot diesels which ment you could really bring it to any detriote diesel /allison dealer for service and not just back to the dealer. I supose if i had problems with the engine i could bring it back to cummings but they are few and far between for dealers and i have no idea what the tranni is on my case.

dayexco

i've had the same experience with deere equipment here as steve frazier has had with cat....PLUS, there's one benefit..if you live in a rural area at all with no deere industrial dealer, just ag...if you have a part number, they can have it to you next morning....i have nothing but good things to say about deere equipment....have had nothing but exceptionally good luck with them, their front end loaders are simply bullet proof