• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex Power.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
If these Tree Huggers and the Government keeps tightening up on emissions we will be parking the old machines permanently.

JASONM

Occupation
Const Co owner
Took a couple shots of the upgrades; coming along slowly but surely. Removal of superfluous air tanks! Dropped the tank count from (6) tanks to (1) tank........ less tanks, less fittings, less problems..... note the separate regulators and separate gauges for each air circuit. One reg/gauge for rear throttle, One reg/ gauge for shifter, One reg/ gauge for push-pull bail.:)
Then a rebushing of the front bail.
New scraper seats mounted on factory lower scissor assy, new air suspension cylinders pirated from the local O'Reilly's Parts Store (1976 Corvette rear air shocks);)............ $50 for a set of (2)! How is that compared to the factory unit at $475/ each!
And hyd cylinders getting new seal kits.

I feel these are the mods that make them competitive and reliable.:usa

JASONM

Occupation
Const Co owner
I must be slipping.

Attachments

• Terex TS-18 repair 002.jpg
    Terex TS-18 repair 002.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,500
  • Terex TS-18 repair 003.jpg
    Terex TS-18 repair 003.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 2,508
  • Terex TS-18 repair 006.jpg
    Terex TS-18 repair 006.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 2,496
  • Terex TS-18 repair 007.jpg
    Terex TS-18 repair 007.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,497

JASONM

Occupation
Const Co owner
Cool Scrapers Jason. As far as I know the real limiting factor with old Terex's is the lack of cushion hitches, am I right? I have seen a few newer ones with suspended axles like a 615 Cat would use, do yours have that option? I have toyed with the idea of plumbing hydraulic accumulators with the bowl lift cylinders as kind of a home made cushion hitch, kind of like ride control on a wheel loader. I have no idea how or if it would even work, and I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it, be neat to try it though. The only real problem I can see is you'd have to carry the bowl pretty high to keep it from hitting the ground when you hit a bump. Maybe someone else here has tried it???

I think that mine might have some type of factory accumulator mounted on the bowl lift cylinders. At least that's what I think it might be. Either that or it's a sequence valve that coordinates the bowl and the apron. Maybe someone out here knows; I haven't dug into that area too much..... but we'll get to that a little later.
And such, hauling at great speeds is not on my TS's agenda. If I've got to haul long, it's gonna get hauled in a truck, never a scraper; just can't make it come out right on paper...... but for shorter hauls, Push-cats and twin scrapers won't get beaten; not around here anyway.

hicrop10

Occupation
Contractor(earthmover)
Jason,I agree with you 100% on the old green machines.We used to run nothing but TS-24's.We had about 20 of them.Every sales men that would come tried to talk us into buying new.Those old 24's would just not die.Swap out the motors and trans and you were ready to go again.Sorry to say we gave it all up 3 years ago.We were also third generation owners.There wasn't much work and the work that was to be had wasn't worth having.The fellows with all the bank notes drove the price to where you couldn't make a buck so we called it quit.Worse feeling I ever had selling all the old paidfor equipment.Good Luck.Mike Durkin

JASONM

Occupation
Const Co owner
Jason,I agree with you 100% on the old green machines.We used to run nothing but TS-24's.We had about 20 of them.Every sales men that would come tried to talk us into buying new.Those old 24's would just not die.Swap out the motors and trans and you were ready to go again.Sorry to say we gave it all up 3 years ago.We were also third generation owners.There wasn't much work and the work that was to be had wasn't worth having.The fellows with all the bank notes drove the price to where you couldn't make a buck so we called it quit.Worse feeling I ever had selling all the old paidfor equipment.Good Luck.Mike Durkin

Well, Mike you surely said it correct.:notworthy I wonder why banks loan money to idiots, and bonding companies underwrite morons that take work much too cheap.................and it's reputable contractors that know what the work is worth, forced into having to endure, while these fools go out of business. :beatsme

Aussie Leroy

Ts14g

Great forum guys, I would like to know do any of you guys have any info on how well the TS14G's are proforming in the feild i'm thinking of purchasing a pair for my work, i have owned TS14B's in the late 80's and are coming back in to the dirt shifting market Cheers Leroy:drinkup

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
The g's that I was around were ex-rental units.

They had to tint the cabs to keep the ac's working. Mind you these machines were working in south eastern pa, not alabama or someplace really warm.

They also seemed to have electrical issues that would put a machine down.

The b's on the other hand didnt have the electrical garbage, everything was air powered... They seemed to have a little less power and didn't have down force on the bowl, but all in all were a more productive machine.

Hollywood627G

120 sec is too long for 3 scrapers to get loaded. It should take 2 627 push pulling maximum of 40 sec to have both loaded, and a 631 only 12 sec. My push partner and I can get heaped loads in 25 sec. Now if you have 3 machines like shown in the vid, we'd hook all three of them up and make the machine haul more than its supposed too. Hell we've hooked 6 of them up, that's 12 engines loading one machine. I think its funny that people think because I run a g I'm a premadonna, ever been in a g with broken a\c in phoenix during the summer? The a\c has 2 cabin filters that probably wasn't cleaned out which will cause the a\c to suck. I have 2.5% tint all the way around mine.

Aussie Leroy

Thanks stumpjumper83, Also instead of cusion hitch they are saying the14g has some sort of cusion bowl can any one tell me is this good or bad thing thanks Leroy

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
What they do have is a suspended front axle, air over hydraulic. If that's not how the sysytem works, somebody feel free to correct me. Makes the ride a bit smoother, but not having run green, i can't tell you which rides better, axle or hitch.
Somebody will be sure to chime in.
Ala627b

JDOFMEMI

Alan

The suspended axle is on the TS-24B and C models. The TS-14G has a suspension bowl, which works with accumulators on the bowl lift cylinders. I don't have any first hand experience with the 14's, but the suspended axle on the TS-24's works pretty good. it is nitrogen charged, just like the struts on rock trucks, and gives nearly a foot of travel at the front tires. if it is properly maintained, it rides comperable to a Cat cushion hitch.

We have a joke that the suspension axle gives the operator a cushioned ride, while the cushion hitch gives the dirt a good ride. lol

Aussie Leroy

Jerry

Thanks mate; I am hoping some one can tell me about this cusion bowl so i can compare TS 14G with 627G for ride, i don't know if there is anybody who has been on both 14G and 627G . We are in steep country where i live and the 14's seem to be much more stable and sure footed in the hills thats my reason why i favour terex, And the D8R will run well with these units. Thanks Leroy

jxm7202

i spent a couple weeks in a 14f it was an alright scraper. it did have many electrical problems, we had two and every day i would have to shut mine down at least ten times a day to reset the computer, otherwise the rear engine wouldn't rev up,frustrating! my a/c worked good but my bowl cushion didn't. the other one the check engine light and alarm were always on, his front engine would be the one that wouldn't rev up, his a/c didn't work but cushion did. the company we rented them from said as soon as the motors blew they were going to put cummins in them. besides the engine eletrical problems the rest of the scraper was good.

ts-24 frank

Occupation
retired trucker-part time bus driver
info on 24's

Alan

The suspended axle is on the TS-24B and C models. The TS-14G has a suspension bowl, which works with accumulators on the bowl lift cylinders. I don't have any first hand experience with the 14's, but the suspended axle on the TS-24's works pretty good. it is nitrogen charged, just like the struts on rock trucks, and gives nearly a foot of travel at the front tires. if it is properly maintained, it rides comperable to a Cat cushion hitch.

We have a joke that the suspension axle gives the operator a cushioned ride, while the cushion hitch gives the dirt a good ride. lol

hi guys; i wonder if one of you could tell me what yr they stoped making the ts-24, and what is the difference between the 24, 24b and 24c's. i just saw i am told a 24c and am wondering what is the difference maker, and when the last 24's were made. thanks,still trying to get info for an article. ts-24 frank

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
I don't know how you get production with those old, slow machines.

Those 14's are loud, they stink, they are rough and a whole lot of things but by gawd they can move dirt. Anyone who has ever operated one has a definite love hate relationship with them. Not many pieces of iron can compare to the longevity of the TS14. They still out there working for a reason...they earn their keep.

surfer-joe

TS-14 scrapers will move more muck than 627 Cats. I've run them both over the years and much prefer the TS-14. Very dependable, loads and unloads quicker, the TS-14 will go where Cats sink deep. They are fairly frugal with fuel, and if in a rental fleet, generally are cheaper. Open cab is the way to go, usually cooler in the seat than the Cats, fact is, I've never run one with a cab. Nice machines all round!