1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex Parts

Discussion in 'Scrapers' started by Indyhoosier, May 30, 2014.

1. John Wayne

John Wayne New Member

Thanks for the quick reply!
    The machine is a 2006 with 5.9 Cummins tier 2 in front and back. Mechanic has removed the hydraulic pump stack, transmission pump from machine and started it without parasitic loads and it still “chugs” and vibrates then takes off. I believe the idle is at 700 rpm. Cummins came out and adjusted the idle and checked out the engine however still “chugs”. Machine has a new coupler and rebuilt drive. Maybe 1/16” free play in the driveshaft before engine turns. When it “chugs” excessive rattling noise from rear drive can be heard as well as during engine shut down. Not sure if/when transmissions have been calibrated. I know they shift because we recently had to replace voltage protection module for power to ecu’s. Engine runs good however does its “chugging” when first started in the morning. It does not matter if it is 20-80 degrees Fahrenheit. Engine will “chug” and eventually break the driveline. “Chug” condition can be duplicated if the machine is idling and the hydraulics are actuated. Transmission was recently resealed by John Deere dealer and they said everything looked good inside. Problem existed before jd resealed transmission. We are not sure which way to go without throwing expensive parts at it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Did Terex update/replace that entire drive to eliminate that noise?
    Thanks

2. GaryHoff

GaryHoff Senior Member

Heavey Equipment Mechanic
    I would recommend adjusting your low idle to at least 950rpm. Higher low idle RPM will help with the chugging. You can set the low idle with the idle switches.
    Check that your ECM software was updated by Cummins. There should be a newer dataset available (if it wasn't done yet)

The doldrums issue was never properly resolved in my opinion, just reduced the amount drive shafts and couplers broke. I usually
    see the driveline break just after coffee time when the operator starts the machine back up.

Excessive rattling at start up and shut down at the rear engine is usually the drive coupler on its way to breaking.

You can calibrate your transmission by following the instructions below. The plugs are in the fuse box area, they are the weather pack connectors.

TS14g cal.jpg

3. John Wayne

John Wayne New Member

Thank you Gary! We will try the calibration and make sure Cummins installed new software. We have tried adjusting the idle off the switches but it still rattles. Does anyone that you know of build a different drive group for the front engine and hydraulic pumps?
    Thanks

4. GaryHoff

GaryHoff Senior Member

The rattle should get noticeably less at the higher idle rpm.
    You could also try installing a non-terex engine calibration. I haven't personally done this, but a truck application or similar calibration may work.

I don't know of anyone building a different drive group for the front engine that would directly fit on this application.

5. Questionable wizard

Questionable wizard New Member

So the rattle is in the coupler/driveshaft?
    I am new to the Terex G's. Have a 2002 model with the DT466's. The front driveline rattles loudly at idle. 64XX hours. Front idle is at 750 rpm. Machine has lots of high heat/neglect issues. Should we be inspecting as a preventative measure?

6. GaryHoff

GaryHoff Senior Member

They all seem to rattle to a certain extent. The Detroit engines didn't seem to have as many driveline issues as the Cummins did. Parts are getting rather difficult to get, so knowing what you need before it completely fails is always good. The front engine couplers aren't as prone to failure, but your splines on the yolk may be worn out. Any recent drivetrain issues.

7. Questionable wizard

Questionable wizard New Member

No drivetrain issues. We've have this machine for three years. It came from the Richie Bros problems disposal auction with a fresh coat of paint(first warning). I've been fighting issues with the rear engine TPS, IVS, and BPS among other things. So it hasn't gotten very many hours. The rear engine codes for those sensors is intermittent. As soon as the engine is shut down and restarted, the problem goes away for 5 minutes-1/2 day. Can't replicate what causes the codes. Replaced those sensors and the engine harnesses up to the neck. Leaning toward a broken solder connection in the rear ECM. Seriously looking into a datalogger to connect to track the sensor voltages/grounds over operating time before replacing the rear ECM. Not much support in this part of North America for these machines.

8. GaryHoff

GaryHoff Senior Member

Front and rear ECMs should be the same, but with different software. You could swap them for testing purposes. Any exact fault codes would help. You may also want to swap the throttle pedals for testing first.