• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex-2003-860 Backhoe -TurboCharger Problem?

bentwrench22

HI read that you still have some problem's with youre tractor I have worked on a large JD tractor with a fuel leak was hard to find where tractor could be split was regular fuel line they would run the steel line from pump to through sheet metal and fuel line under floor boards maybe 6 inch piece for return or feed line ,,,so with the high presure you been running with bad fuel cap youre fuel lines were the weakest link and with the enclosed cab any fumes are hard to get rid of,,,hope this helps

tony terex

Occupation
farmer
I saw where you have been haveing trouble with a terex I also need some help. I am a new member and could not start a new thread yet. Anyway our terex 870 frontend loader backhoe shut off and now wont start we have done the simple stuff ie change filters clean the strainer over fuel pump bleed lines. still nothing anybody have any ideas? Tony

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I saw where you have been haveing trouble with a terex I also need some help. I am a new member and could not start a new thread yet. Anyway our terex 870 frontend loader backhoe shut off and now wont start we have done the simple stuff ie change filters clean the strainer over fuel pump bleed lines. still nothing anybody have any ideas? Tony

Welcome to the forum tony terex. :usa

Still a few more basic things. Do you have good fuel flow from the tank? I assume so because you said you bled lines. Does lift pump move fuel properly? And you could have a problem with the shutoff solenoid, either not getting power/ground or faulty solenoid.

tony terex

Occupation
farmer
I can hear the lift pump working and it does have good flow. I do not know where the shutoff selinoind is? it is a perkins engine, about where might I look? One guy I live close to thinks the rings are bad and the moter needs rebuilding, The tractor is a 2004 with 2400 hours and did not have any starting problems before ecept of course the simple things like weak battery. I dont feel it is this I always thought that was a progressive issue I did find out though on the #1 and last injector is 220 compresion where the middle ones are 350. Thank You for the help Tony

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I can hear the lift pump working and it does have good flow. I do not know where the shutoff selinoind is? it is a perkins engine, about where might I look? One guy I live close to thinks the rings are bad and the moter needs rebuilding, The tractor is a 2004 with 2400 hours and did not have any starting problems before ecept of course the simple things like weak battery. I dont feel it is this I always thought that was a progressive issue I did find out though on the #1 and last injector is 220 compresion where the middle ones are 350. Thank You for the help Tony

The shutoff solenoid is located on the injection pump, it will have 1 wire (voltage) or 2 wires (voltage and ground) going to it. Check to make sure you have power going to it, and ground if it's 2 wires. If you do, remove the wiring connections and the solenoid cartridge can be removed, but do it carefully, on most of these solenoids the plunger and spring can fall out. Make sure the plunger moves freely against the return spring. You can even put some jumper wires on it and see if it retracts the plunger. If it doesn't, it's faulty.

bentwrench22

I've never worked on a terx tractor but does this tractor have a computor in its works one thing I know about newer equipment is a computor will save it self before leting it it run with low voltage ,,,when I check out newer equip. for non start I load check all batterys indivigualy for weakness and will fix a lot of problems

tony terex

Occupation
farmer
Thank You for the info we did not even go to the shop oday but that gives us 2 things to check. The selinoid and the batteries we are having to keep the battery charger on it while we was bleeding lines etc.

bill onthehill

make sure you pull the batteries out of the machine and clean up all the terminals. Charge them up while out of machine and load test them individually. Follow the grounds from the batteries and clean the end where it bolts to the tractor. Lots of headaches are eliminated by having a good electric circuit and ground.

tony terex

Occupation
farmer
Hi everyone I finally checked batteries and the shut off selinoid on my terex with the perkins moter, the plunger does move and I am getting fuel to the injectors from their I have not traced it any further the batteries test fine. I have again checked the fuses they are not blown. This is really puzzling me since it just shut itself off during a bit of strain and now it wont start back. thank you for any ideas tony terex

bill onthehill

When you say you have fuel to the injectors is it pushing a good stream from each one as you bleed it? You should be able to get it to hit on just 1 or 2 as you are bleeding them. Do you have a preheater system on this machine? I would try spraying a LITTLE bit of ether in the air intake. Do not run preheaters if you try ether. If it tries to run on ether I would question fuel quality or possible water. Have you pulled any injectors to inspect them?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
[QUOTE said:
tony terex;173345]Hi everyone I finally checked batteries and the shut off selinoid on my terex with the perkins moter, the plunger does move and I am getting fuel to the injectors

This is really puzzling me since it just shut itself off during a bit of strain and now it wont start back.

Am I missing something here?

g-man

It sounds to me like you have a fuel problem. You are either not getting enough fuel pressure from the transfer pump or you have air in the fuel system. Try running a fuel line from a bucket of diesel to the transfer pump and see what happens. If it will run like that you are getting air from somewhere. Those tiny little air leaks can cause all kinds of problems.

tony terex

Occupation
farmer
Problem figured out! I had changed all air filters, of course a couple weeks knowing a dirty air filter could be the problem well it really was not bad. had a guy that does work on tractors look at it he was stumped kept saying it must be the moter. we was going to replace the shut off selinoid just to make sure it was not that, however the plunger was working. he finally said before we do that let me take somthing off the muffeler and also check the turbocharger as soon as he did it started right up no problem. Tony

DoubleNickel

Well, I guess so as it's been running fine since I got the cap to breath. I prob put 25 hours on it since then.

But the other today, as I was helping my neighbor and with his septic system, I gots home and turned the key off and it just kept running, but trying to shut down. I turned it back on, ran in and googled up something about a injector selenoid. Called the dealer. Talked to the mechanic and got it shut down by putting some stress on the riggers. Found the valve switch on top of the injector pump. I have to clean the area and remove the valve, he says something is holding up the spring and not shuting down. so that's a job I gotta do this week, I guess. I ran it a little today and it did the same thing.
I gotta be real careful about unscrewing the valve, right? I am sorry about not getting back to you. You prob thought I blew up with the tractor, but everything is fine. I just had other things to get done (big things):Banghead

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Sounds like your describing a faulty shut down solenoid on the CAV injection pump. The ones I've replaced have been no problem to do. Haven't worked on your particular model Perkins, but I can't imagine there would be any difficulty replacing that solenoid. Kinda unique though, what your describing, the solenoid not shutting the engine down. Typically, when a shut down solenoid on a Perkins goes bad, they burn out and won't let the engine run. Haven't see that situation where the solenoid craps out and lets the engine run and not shut off. Hmmm, unusual. :)

Gadget_man

I have a parts book right here. I'm waiting for the dealer to get back to me on the repair manual. hmm Maybe they have to print one up:falldownlaugh and ship it from England.

We'll get it fixed. I'm in no hurry. I just take my time, it will get done.

Hi DoubleNickel

Do you have a copy of the parts book? I have the same machine, but can't find any manuals. I'll appreciate a PDF copy if you can help me!