• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex-2003-860 Backhoe -TurboCharger Problem?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
First of all, I'd be careful about running the machine very long as it is with the problem you've described, as in, the hot vapor in the tank. Liquid diesel fuel doesn't ignite easily, but vapor is much more combustible.
As for what to do first, doesn't matter to me, this is all theory at the moment since no one has come forward and said "I've seen this before...here's what you do...". You could check the fuel return hose if you want, I'm near certain the problem does come via return hose because if it was from the only other hose, the supply, then the pressure going to tank would interupt supply, engine would quit. Also, the lift pump has check valves in it. If the pressure went through these valves, I would think it would kill the lift pump. As for the injectors, if you don't have one that has a miss, it would be difficult to find the bad one. About the best you could do is test the fuel return rail from the injectors. All the injectors share a common fuel return and one of the injectors has the return to tank connected to it. You could disconnect the injector return hose, run it to a bucket, and see if the pressure is coming from the injectors that way. But you have to have the engine rev's up as you described no pressure problem at idle. I think testing the injector return line would give better info than testing the tank return hose. We still have that other hose from intake to injection pump you described, that's another line you could disconnect and plug off to check. So there's three items for you to check; the fuel return from the injector return line, the Thermostart, and the intake to injection pump line. ;)

Last edited:

DoubleNickel

Well, thinking about it, whats the sense of checking the return fuel. We know without a doubt, air is coming in. So that would be a waste of time. So I am back to the thermostart.

Yup, I was thinking about a big boom. hey, it could happen!!! I guess fuel cleaner wouldn't fix a problem like this. That would be to easy.

Suppose capping the thermostart stops the pressure. Whats the theory or is it to much to explain.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Suppose capping the thermostart stops the pressure. Whats the theory or is it to much to explain.

We'll cross that bridge when we get there. Right now, I just want to find where that pressure is coming from. ;) Have you got a parts book ordered for the machine?

DoubleNickel

I have a parts book right here. I'm waiting for the dealer to get back to me on the repair manual. hmm Maybe they have to print one up:falldownlaugh and ship it from England.

We'll get it fixed. I'm in no hurry. I just take my time, it will get done.

bentwrench22

yes I,m new to this site but ive been wrenching for 28 years and I belive you forgot think simple first I,ve been following this story from the start and I belive you found problem at start but went big.you said it was a vented fuel cap but did you check it to see if it vents ? when operator ran fuel line into tank with rag very unsafe but like I said the easy fix first ..replace fuel cap from factory I think it will fix once I replaced 2 hyd. pumps on a truck becuase vent on tank was pluged if i,m wrong sorry but it,s my thought bentwrench

bill onthehill

I have a parts book right here. I'm waiting for the dealer to get back to me on the repair manual. hmm Maybe they have to print one up:falldownlaugh and ship it from England.

We'll get it fixed. I'm in no hurry. I just take my time, it will get done.
any luck with this problem?

DoubleNickel

:update I did not blow up. Sorry for not posting. I have been busy. I backhoed yesterday for 3 hours with no problems. No skips, runs fine. When your digging you can feel and hear the power kick in when load is applied. No abnormal exhaust smoke, only gives off black exhaust when power kicks in. So I guess the turbo is working?

I'm taking the tractor up to my brothers on early Sunday (less traffic)morning. (he got a wood shed from my neighbor--brought it back here--I gotta drive backwards for 2 miles to his house:eek:) I want him to help me with this problem. He's a good mik-a-nic. He knows nothing about diesels also, but it's an extra hand.

I called the dealer today about the shop manual:professor, gonna take 3 weeks to get one:beatsme weird? There going by the engine serial# from Perkins and I have no price on it:eek:

ATCOEQUIP: Gonna start at the thermostart, per your instructions. I have been googling (lots) about this tank pressure thingie, but can't find much about it:crying

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
:update I did not blow up. Sorry for not posting. I have been busy. I backhoed yesterday for 3 hours with no problems. No skips, runs fine. When your digging you can feel and hear the power kick in when load is applied. No abnormal exhaust smoke, only gives off black exhaust when power kicks in. So I guess the turbo is working?

I'm taking the tractor up to my brothers on early Sunday (less traffic)morning. (he got a wood shed from my neighbor--brought it back here--I gotta drive backwards for 2 miles to his house:eek:) I want him to help me with this problem. He's a good mik-a-nic. He knows nothing about diesels also, but it's an extra hand.

I called the dealer today about the shop manual:professor, gonna take 3 weeks to get one:beatsme weird? There going by the engine serial# from Perkins and I have no price on it:eek:

ATCOEQUIP: Gonna start at the thermostart, per your instructions. I have been googling (lots) about this tank pressure thingie, but can't find much about it:crying

Cool, I'm curious to find out what's causing the problem as I haven't seen this before. We'll be waiting. :)

DoubleNickel

Oh man:

I'm talking to my brother now thru Skype on the computer. He just told me my neighbor and friend (Big Al) down the road just blew his transmission on his 4 year old big Kubota tractor.

He Overfilled the Transmission by 3 Gallons:jawdrop

My father from Norway was a fine Cabinetmaker. The Real McCoy, alway said:
Measure twice and cut once​

yuppers, costing him a grand to just tear it down:crying It will be 4 grand by the time he gets it back. oh man!!

I Always Ask Questions!!!! Always!!!​

bentwrench22

this fuel tank presure problem as i said before i belive easy fix....rember simple diesel reason what is return line from injector to the tank for ? it's cooling the internal parts of injectors high presure that would gaul the internal works if wasnt cooled by fuel flowing through injector after fuel passes through injector fuel temp rises and expands in tank and and with vent in cap broken or pluged this presure won't let atmospereic l fuel flowto injection pump so like i said the other day when he put rag in tank and the tractor ran fine the fuel cap probly needs replacing

DoubleNickel

:usa
bentwrench22
Gets the "Gold Star"

After watching this video (http://www.ehow.com/video_4467435_in...turn-line.html) and the guy said there is pressure in the return line to the tank and seeing bentwrench22 post again, I said hey:idea I'm going out and get the cap and take it apart. Well, under the seal was an oversized o'ring plugging the vent (it vented a little, but not much). I cleaned the crud from where the o'ring was with a dental pick and left the o'ring out. Put it back together and Walla, easy air flow in and out. Slapped it back on the tank and no more pressure buildup. Runs GREAT!!!! Trucked down the road at full throttle, got out (I stopped first) and no pressure build up.

WOW, thanks bentwench22, I know it's been this way for at least 2 years, maybe longer.

and ATCOEQUIP: your the greatest, we got it fixed!! We are all a team:beerchug We work together!!!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Excellent! There's enough people here that someone will figure out what the problem is. :woohoo

DoubleNickel

Terex BackHoe.jpg

PeeWee and BigBoy​

PeeWee has a fever and temperature and doesn't wanna mow the lawn:falldownlaugh

BigBoy runs good, but seems to smell :throwupfrom fumes. Hmm​