• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tell me I'm not making a terrible mistake.. or maybe I am.

T320FL

I know it's nice to have a machine, truck, and trailer ready to go at short notice but...
Once you decide what mini-x you want just hire someone with a dually truck and trailer to move your equipment. It will save you thousands $$$$ and will be less maintenance. Insurance, CDL, payments, and maintenance on everything all add up quickly!
If for some reason the business venture did not work out as planned you only have the mini-x to deal with selling or keeping.

BigEv

Aren't the Yanmar @ 4yr, 4k hour warranty, standard?
I think so.. I saw it advertised but not sure if it's for all of North America.

I know it's nice to have a machine, truck, and trailer ready to go at short notice but...
Once you decide what mini-x you want just hire someone with a dually truck and trailer to move your equipment. It will save you thousands $$$$ and will be less maintenance. Insurance, CDL, payments, and maintenance on everything all add up quickly!
If for some reason the business venture did not work out as planned you only have the mini-x to deal with selling or keeping.

Good point and I was considering that. I made a few calls and looked up some ads but haven't found anyone yet. I'll keep checking FB marketplace and ask around.
I will most likely replace my SUV with a pickup truck and get a trailer to haul my tractor around between my properties regardless of the business side of things... I'm an IT project manager by "trade" so not in a rush to quit my job... well... I'd like it sooner than later but when all is set haha!
I should say I'm a "buy once" kind of guy and my equipement usually last me a long time.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Make sure you check the specs closely of any machine you're seriously considering. A small excavator isn't going to lift a log with a whole lot of weight and adding a longer arm is only going to accentuate the problem. You probably have a good idea of the weight of what you want to lift if you've been working with wood for any length of time.

keif

Make sure you check the specs closely of any machine you're seriously considering. A small excavator isn't going to lift a log with a whole lot of weight and adding a longer arm is only going to accentuate the problem. You probably have a good idea of the weight of what you want to lift if you've been working with wood for any length of time.
I love my mini/micro excavator. It made me good money last year. Many people with bigger machines crapped on it when I was purchasing it but had never run one before..... I was able to lift this up into the dump trailer.PXL_20211217_143314990.jpg
I had to cut off the piece the chains saw is resting on. The narrow end was about 36" in diameter. The left side was much fatter.

skyking1

I like that idea.

Keith Merrell

I was in a similar situation as you about a year ago with a similar size machine (Kubota kx040). Unfortunately, I think it is necessary to have your own way to move the machine at the drop of a hat. Its part of the service you are selling. With the size of machine a 35 is, a lot of the jobs I was taking were pretty much in and out jobs 1 or 2 days or less so it was imperative I could move it myself. Also, if you are going to be in the excavating business, a CDL is a necessity IMO. I was operating a long time without one simply because of my age, but it really hindered me because I was either looking over my shoulder, or trying to size my equipment to avoid the CDL. I earned mine last month and it has made things way easier. Good luck.

BigEv

I love my mini/micro excavator. It made me good money last year. Many people with bigger machines crapped on it when I was purchasing it but had never run one before..... I was able to lift this up into the dump trailer.View attachment 253395
I had to cut off the piece the chains saw is resting on. The narrow end was about 36" in diameter. The left side was much fatter.

Very nice! That is one big log and it's pretty cool that you made your machine work it. And the electric chainsaw too ;-)
There's always bigger and better in every field but gotta find what's right for your needs.

My sawmill takes up to 30'' by 21' logs so we'll see what I'll do with the larger ones I find. My larger property has some massive trees I'll have to clean up. Some are fallen already and some dead standing.
And yeah some large logs are easily up top 4k-5k lbs for 5'-8'.

BigEv

I was in a similar situation as you about a year ago with a similar size machine (Kubota kx040). Unfortunately, I think it is necessary to have your own way to move the machine at the drop of a hat. Its part of the service you are selling. With the size of machine a 35 is, a lot of the jobs I was taking were pretty much in and out jobs 1 or 2 days or less so it was imperative I could move it myself. Also, if you are going to be in the excavating business, a CDL is a necessity IMO. I was operating a long time without one simply because of my age, but it really hindered me because I was either looking over my shoulder, or trying to size my equipment to avoid the CDL. I earned mine last month and it has made things way easier. Good luck.

Grats and thank you! I have to admit I wasn't considering it before posting here but I'm reevaluating that.

BigEv

Small update. I spoke to the Yanmar dealer again and they also sell Wacker Neuson. They just so happen to have a SV40, Vio55 and WN ET42 in the lot and I've arranged for a side by side demo Wednesday. so I'll at least get to sit in them and play around for a bit.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Small update. I spoke to the Yanmar dealGrer again and they also sell Wacker Neuson. They just so happen to have a SV40, Vio55 and WN ET42 in the lot and I've arranged for a side by side demo Wednesday. so I'll at least get to sit in them and play around for a bit.

Great opportunity to run a couple different sizes and OEMs. Bring us back what your thoughts are.

Don.S

I would be looking in the 8 ton range. Love that size for a little of everything. You can move that behind a pick up in quebec with a class 5.
I have a place in harrington and often go to a place in wentworth north.

BigEv

I would be looking in the 8 ton range. Love that size for a little of everything. You can move that behind a pick up in quebec with a class 5.
I have a place in harrington and often go to a place in wentworth north.

I've been touring Harrington and Wentworth quite a bit last fall on my motorcycle. Gorgeous spots and views! Thanks for chiming in. 8 ton might be my second machine haha

CapnDean

KSSS was spot on. I would recommend 6T minumum. I compared Cat 305, JD 50G, Kubota KX-057 & Bobcat E50 - Bought a Volvo ECR58. All machines had their pluses and minuses : The cab size sold me on the Volvo. I too am short for my weight, getting in and out of the Volvo is easy. Needed a shoe horn to get in and out of the Cat & the Deere. Takeuchi makes good stuff.... I think their TB260 might be the 6T machine...I wouldnt be afraid to look at that too. I can tell you though, your first excavator will become too weak really quick .... Good Luck

BigEv

KSSS was spot on. I would recommend 6T minumum. I compared Cat 305, JD 50G, Kubota KX-057 & Bobcat E50 - Bought a Volvo ECR58. All machines had their pluses and minuses : The cab size sold me on the Volvo. I too am short for my weight, getting in and out of the Volvo is easy. Needed a shoe horn to get in and out of the Cat & the Deere. Takeuchi makes good stuff.... I think their TB260 might be the 6T machine...I wouldnt be afraid to look at that too. I can tell you though, your first excavator will become too weak really quick .... Good Luck

Thanks! You guys already convinced me to go bigger than what I had planned and I thought I was already going big with a 3.5 ton lol. I think 4-5 ton will be good enough for the business model I have in mind and I can revisit in a few years with more experience under the belt. I'll hear you all say "I told you so" when I get there haha

I went ahead and tried the yanmar SV40 and WN ET42 yesterday. I sat in them and moved the buckets around.. didn't dig anything. Here are some observations:
- Both machines seem to have goo fit and finish in and out.
- The WN's cabin is slightly lower to the ground and the tracks slightly wider.
- Both angle blades seem sturdier than what I've seen on other machines (online)
- The WN's angle blade is heftier by a fair margin
- The door to the SV is narrower so a bit more of a tight fit to get in for me for my (6' 300lbs with wide shoulders).
- Very easy to get into the WN and quite spacy
- Both seats were confortable
- I had to bend my wrists a bit more to handle the joysticks with my fingertips on the yanmar.
- The angle blade lever of the yanmar is a bigger "mechanical" handle. The WN is a small joystick.
- A bit more leg room on the WN
- The pedals on the yanmar seemed a bit higher and I had to twist my ankles quite a bit to use them.
- The general control and buttons layouts seemed comparable
- Visibility was good on both units
- Both have factory hydraulic quick attach systems
- The Yanmar is prettier to my eyes haha
- Both are new models but the WN seems more modern.. Controls and LED lights when it's active etc.

Bottom line, I liked the Wacker Neuson quite a bit more overall. I cant really speak to smoothness or responsiveness of the controls since I have no real base for comparison or prior experience but it seemed very precise to my newbie eyes. It also has more breakout force (on paper at least).
I walked around a vio55 but didn't get to sit in it or try it.

Don.S

When my boss was looking at 5 ton machines i fell in love with the wacker and was also very fond of a takeuchi. The wacker was so smooth to run and comfortable inside. My boss ended up buying a kubota because it was the cheapest. I hated that piece of crap everytime i had to be in it. I found the yanmar very loud inside.

keif

Not sure how experienced you are on excavators. If your working in the woods moving trees and piles of brush you going to be tracking and swinging and moving the joysticks at the same time. You might want to check out how the different machines multi function. Also having thumb rockers for the boom and hydraulic thumb is nice so you can operate those while driving with you feet. Having to use foot pedals for the boom and thumb are the only complaint about my Takeuchi, when I bought it I wasn't good enough to track with my feet so I didn't realize it would be a hindrance till I got more experience.

BigEv

Not sure how experienced you are on excavators. If your working in the woods moving trees and piles of brush you going to be tracking and swinging and moving the joysticks at the same time. You might want to check out how the different machines multi function. Also having thumb rockers for the boom and hydraulic thumb is nice so you can operate those while driving with you feet. Having to use foot pedals for the boom and thumb are the only complaint about my Takeuchi, when I bought it I wasn't good enough to track with my feet so I didn't realize it would be a hindrance till I got more experience.
I am not experienced at all! I did try tracking while swinging the bucket around and could not detect or hear a difference on the WN and my throttle was low. I wasn't under any kind of load though. The thumb controls on the joystick didn't feel intuitive and I commented on it to the sales guy. He checked and it was wired backwards. I tried it in excavator mode and not in backhoe mode. It felt right to me somehow.

OTG AuGres

Occupation
Hobbiest - Forestry and Wildlife Management
cab machine or open machine? I ask, because I am similar sized and it is a squeeze in and out of the 35G cab. For me it is well worth it, but as a one man show there are many many trips in and out that door.
I frankly would not buy anything I could not at least start up and move about a sales lot. If Yanmar can't do that then they do not want your business, IMO.
He can't make sales calls with a straight face if you can't at least try it on for size.

Not being able to demo a machine is exactly why I have Bobcat and not Kubota. My Bobcat dealer will give me any machine or attachment i want to try for at least a couple of days, no questions asked. Local Kubota dealer thought sitting in a machine in the parking lot should be adequate. IMO there are a lot of good machines out there. Really good dealers…maybe not so much.