• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Technicians for sale

EMT

Occupation
Business Owner,salesman,manager and babysitter
I was thinking, what is going to happen to our industries when all the good technicians become managers. I am having a hard time finding good techs in Denver that can work on any kind of machine. Its all nuts and bolts right!
We as good techs, need to train those who are willing. Teach them basic skills like show up on time, be sober, take orders from your superiors. Then we can move on ti the good stuff like diagnostics, hydraulics, electronics, Bullet proofing machines, making things better so the engineers will design quality machines and easier to work on. What Do You Think?

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
that can work on any kind of machine. Its all nuts and bolts right!

We as good techs, need to train those who are willing. Teach them basic skills like show up on time, be sober, take orders from your superiors. Then we can move on ti the good stuff like diagnostics, hydraulics, electronics, Bullet proofing machines, making things better so the engineers will design quality machines and easier to work on. What Do You Think?

I agree with everything you have to say, finding good young guys willing to learn is very very hard to do!!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Good techs are usually not good at taking orders from anyone. That is one of the things that make good techs good. They think for themselves and do what is needed to get the job done. They don't like interference or unasked for guidance.

Instead of advertising about taking orders you should ask for good work ethic, proud of doing great work, willingness to learn on the job, recognizing the need for and asking for guidance when necessary and so on.

Just because you are having a hard time finding good people doesn't mean they aren't out there. You need to figure out why they aren't beating down your door trying to go to work for you.

Good Luck!

EMT

Occupation
Business Owner,salesman,manager and babysitter
Good point!
Thinking for yourself is an excellent quality. I a football team the linemen,running backs and the recievers take instruction from the quarterback. In the military the ranks of authority govern the direction of the team.
In a well run company there needs to be a leader or leaders to help the direction of the team.

Maybe the gene pool I have been looking at is not the quality of technician Im looking for.
Do you have any suggestions on where to look?
Thank you for your advice.

icewater75074

Occupation
Field Tech.VOLVO Equip.
I agree with John C.
I know I and the other techs in the field at my dealership will ask for help if needed but don't do well if it is told or forced into the situation. I am just as apt to roll up and let the guy that thinks he knows it all finish up.
As for the good techs becoming managers, alot of the guys go back to the field/shop after a couple of years because they just do not like the office job.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Ex military is almost always a good place to look. Some trade schools put out a decent product sometimes. You just have to be careful there. Stealing mechanics from dealers seems to be the most common way of finding one. Looking into other industries is also a possibility.

Be careful of wrenches coming from other end users.

I believe in the old saw, hire slow, fire fast.