• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Td7e cylinder end caps stuck

FWD

If it doesn't show set screws in the picture and you can't find them, then they aren't there. One less thing to worry about. Good luck!
DWF

gnebgen

Happy Monday! Did not get to work on the cylinder this weekend. My spanner wrench should be delivered at my gate today. I do have another question about the hydraulic fluid. The holding tank is starboard of the driver's seat, much higher than the cylinders. If disconnect the hose, will gravity drain the tank. Do I need to drain it before I remove the hoses on the cylinder? Thanks.

FWD

I always use caps and plugs for this type of work. Not only does it stop any leaking, it keeps thing clean. JIC caps should be available at any place that sells hydraulic parts. I've got boxes with different sizes. They don't wear out and it sure helps for cleanliness.
FWD

Willie B

No. The valve will stop flow. You need to catch what's in the cylinder, some of what's in hoses may leak.

Iron@Dirt

Did the same thing on d 39. Had to put much longer cheater pipe. Forgot how much the book says on torque but its up there plus froze up from age. It will take a preaty tuff spanner to compete with that pipe wrench.

Willie B

I keep a can of brake cleaner handy to hose off any dirt before caps or parts are assembled. Wiping with rag is less effective for last second cleaning.

gnebgen

I keep a can of brake cleaner handy to hose off any dirt before caps or parts are assembled. Wiping with rag is less effective for last second cleaning.

Yes, brake cleaner is the best thing since sliced bread! I received the spanner wrench that is supposed to fit up to 4 3/5 caps. Pretty disappointed and returning it. I will get some caps and plugs, thank you. Here is a pic of the pitiful scanner i got at Grainger's.spanner wrench.jpg

Willie B

Yeah, phosgene gas is produced heating chlorinated brake cleaner. Phosgene gas is a military weapon.

When TIG welding certain metals cleanliness is critical. along with wire brushing a good solvent is needed that dries quickly with no residue. Some use acetone with a paper towel, or cloth. The towel is sure to contain something that would contaminate, If the metal has been ground to clean it,it'll tear tiny bits from the towel, causing another problem. Non chlorinated brake cleaner is a perfect solution. In an aerosol can, no lint is left behind.

willie59

Administrator
Myself, if I'm going to clean something of oil to weld it I prefer starting fluid and dry it off with an air nozzle, it cleans the oil just fine, dries totally, and doesn't create a poison gas during the welding process that could have serious effects.

Willie B

Yes, and as a window washer it's incredible. Case backhoes are great for carrying their tails up above the cab. They are notorious for blopping grease on the back window. I always got starting fluid.

gnebgen

Hello all! I have not posted an update on the cylinder kit repair. I guess my yanking and banging did something as the leaking cylinder is not leaking any more. So I will use it until another leak appears and then change the seal kits. Thank you for all your input.