• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Td7e cylinder end caps stuck

gnebgen

I Have a 1978 TD7E with the 6 way blade. I purchased cylinder seal kits for the 5 cylinders. I am starting with the worst leak which angles the blade. I am unable to get the end cap to turn.. Have a 3 foot pipe wrench with a 2 foot cheater pipe. I tapped on it with a 2 lb hammer and also tried to get some liquid bolt buster in the opening. I also used a chisel in the cut on the cap and used the 2 lb hammer, but will not move. I also heated it some, but did not want to melt any of the old seals inside. Any other suggestions to get the end cap off. I have left it attached for now as it is easier to try to remove while attached. When I remove it I will have to cut the bolts holding the pins as they have never been removed. Per the previous owner, at 4000 hours the seals have not been changed since the factory. Thanks.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I have a TD7G, and no experience with these particular cylinders. Mine need a special spanner. When it's my turn I'll have to buy or make a spanner. I have had cylinders that won't budge. A Case backhoe I once did the boom cylinder I found to have red locktite. Without heat red locktite won't move. I used a large propane torch, and an infrared heat thermometer. If I recall it needed about 400 degrees F to free it. Somebody else will have a better way. I used a 5' spanner with 2-1/2" rigid conduit handle, and slid a bar inside it designed to pry out railroad ties. I was out 8' on the end with North of 200 LBS while my son heated and tested. All told it was a 9 hour job to repack the cylinder.

Two years later I had an identical cylinder done professionally. It took three hours, and $700.00.

DK88

Occupation
Field service tech.
Put a good load on the wrench and give the end of the gland a slight tap being careful not to tap it.. It may take a few good bounces with 5-6 ft of pipe.

DK88

Occupation
Field service tech.
Or if you have the resources put the pipe wrench on it and use an over head crane to give it a pull

ship660

In the past I have welded a piece of steel to the cap then hit it with a 16# sledge. Once it is loose enough to turn put an adjustable wrench on the piece of iron and turn. The scrap would be something like a 2"x2" solid somewhere about length of cap. Tried hoist never had any luck with it. What helps a lot is a solid place to mount cylinder. I would put rod end in press to hold cylinder stable to hit scrap iron with sledge.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Delmer Is right on the money with the link to that thread.

This method works like a dream and I believe is a carryover technique from the days of steam.

Hits many times lightly seem to work best in my experience.

Cheers.

gnebgen

Cylinder cap removal

Thanks to all for the advice. I am going to buy a medium ball peen and try that technique. There are no set screws. No gouges or dents in the tube. I was afraid of heating too much and egg shape the cap with the pipe wrench. But looking at the link above, it was helpful and looked like you heat until the paint is gone. I confirmed this morning with the prior owner that the caps had never been off in 38 years. This is a strong machine and I am determined to fix up to standard. I will report back after the weekend with my progress. Hope the picture attached.

Attachments

• TD7E CYLINDER CAP.jpg
    TD7E CYLINDER CAP.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 276

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
Thanks to all for the advice. I am going to buy a medium ball peen and try that technique. There are no set screws. No gouges or dents in the tube. I was afraid of heating too much and egg shape the cap with the pipe wrench. But looking at the link above, it was helpful and looked like you heat until the paint is gone. I confirmed this morning with the prior owner that the caps had never been off in 38 years. This is a strong machine and I am determined to fix up to standard. I will report back after the weekend with my progress. Hope the picture attached.

That is a nice looking TD7E!

DB2

Just an observation but I find using a pipe wrench in this situation is counterproductive because it tends to squeeze the nut thus increasing the amount of force to undo the gland. Get or build a proper spanner wrench. Also peen and heat.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
One thing about that type of cylinder, once you do get the gland nut off. The gland simply slips into the cylinder barrel and is held in by the flange on the gland nut. As stuck as that gland nut is you can bet that gland will be just as stuck, and getting it to move is the trick. Don't start wailing on it with a chisel. Instead, get the gland nut threads cleaned good to where it will screw on/off with ease. Now, screw it back on the cylinder until it bottoms out on the gland, then screw it back off maybe 1/4". Disconnect the rod from the blade and lift they cylinder so it will fully extend. Start the engine, at idle, and extend that cylinder until it bottoms out, the idea is to use the piston of the cylinder to "pop" the gland loose. The gland nut will prevent it from moving too far. Shut engine down, remove gland nut and spray plenty of lube into the gap that you've opened. You might have to repeat this process, in small increments, a couple of times until the gland can be plucked out, just don't screw the gland nut too far so not enough threads are holding everything, and it goes without saying to not stand in front of the cylinder while doing this.

gnebgen

Thank you Trashman, I am just down the road in Fredericksburg! DB2, I agree, I did not feel comfortable jumping up and down on the cheater for fear of egg shaping the cap. I am ordering a spanner of appropriate size as the investment is worth it with 5 cylinders to re seal. Willie59. Great suggestions. I take it the gland nut as you call it is the end cap? and the gland is the smaller piece that contains the seals slides in the tube and is held by the gland nut/end cap. Is that correct? Appreciate all the help with this.

mikebramel

With those style retainers virbation will be your friend. Never had much luck with a slow hard pull. Air hammer is usually the fastest way. You can try the hook spanners but they bend or the roll pin shears. Whereas 30 seconds with an air hammer and it's moving. You shouldn't need to worry about putting too much heat on there. Have only done a couple of those cylinders, I'm pretty sure the gland is steel or iron.

gnebgen

Where would the set screws be located. There appears to be two holes at opposite each other that looks like a spanner wrench would fit. cleaned up and could not see a screw. The spanner I purchased is adjustable from 2 -4 3/4 inches and has one end with a hook that grabs the indentation on the rim of the cap end.