• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi TL140 Turns over but won't fire up

Michael Kast

Occupation
finish carpenter
First off, Apologies if this is already been answered. I have searched the threads for a week or 2 and have no resolve. I started it up and moved it to where I needed to dig. I shut it down to move some things out of my way and 1/2 hour later it won't start. 2 weeks later it won't start. It cranks and cranks, black smoke out the chimney. Sounds like it is about to fire up but won't. I grounded the low level sensor on the radiator. I re-melted the soldered on the 2 relays. I had just filled it up with fresh fuel before I started it up so I know it has fuel. I am at a loss.
Thanks in advance

Bluox

First off, Apologies if this is already been answered. I have searched the threads for a week or 2 and have no resolve. I started it up and moved it to where I needed to dig. I shut it down to move some things out of my way and 1/2 hour later it won't start. 2 weeks later it won't start. It cranks and cranks, black smoke out the chimney. Sounds like it is about to fire up but won't. I grounded the low level sensor on the radiator. I re-melted the soldered on the 2 relays. I had just filled it up with fresh fuel before I started it up so I know it has fuel. I am at a loss.
Thanks in advance
Pull the filters and see what's in them.
Bob

heymccall

If you're getting smoke while cranking, it ain't an electrical issue.

You didn't say how many hours on unit.
So, how many hours?
Have you tried preheating (glow plugs, grid heater, whatever)?

Is the cranking rpm high enough (good battery)?

On my TL150 machines, the bottom tank outlet would plug with debris, make the fuel supply pressure poor.
Could you just have poor fuel supply volume?

Michael Kast

Occupation
finish carpenter
GLOW PLUGS! This machine gave me hell with fuel clogs and I have done a lot of work on fuel supply. I do regular maintenance on keeping the lines clear. I have that inline NAPA pre filter you suggested. That has been consistently been improving as far as debris collected. But yes, the fuel tank has trash in it and the lines need to be blown out every so often. New lift pump a while back. It has gotten better
That doesn't mean it can't be a fuel clog. You guided me through all of my fuel issue denial a couple of years ago.
My buddy was helping me trouble shoot. We sprayed starter fluid and it didn't start that way either. He didn't understand why it wouldn't start even if the glow plugs weren't heating. He just asked me to see if I could find out why. He owned a tractor that didn't have glow plugs. It had a button that sprayed starter fluid into the carb every time it started. I digress...
He checked voltage on the glow plug rail and it didn't read any voltage. He didn't know if that was because we had already tried to start it, making it warm and they weren't allowing voltage. Once the engine starts the glow plugs shut down, correct? These are his questions. Then we ran a wire from the battery directly to the glow plugs. Would that be pre heating them?
Hours are unknown. I was told it was a 98. It had been run hard and left out wet when I got it. How do I trouble shoot the glow plugs? I thought they were the problem but something got me off that path. It was my buddy. He has been working on farm equipment all his life. Old tractors and who knows what but he was a gasoline mechanic by trade and made it clear he didn't understand this machine and wasn't a diesel mechanic. He reiterates that at every opportunity. Battery is good. It has always been hard to start. I have wondered if the hard start wasn't related to glow plugs. Am I going down a glow plug rabbit hole? I really want it to be the glow plugs. Until I have to buy them. Then I will be so sad it wasn't a fuel clog.

Tinkerer

Isuzu engine ?
Model a4ja1 ?
Black smoke and won't start on either ?
Starting motor speed good ?
Air cleaners and air flow to the intake manifold OK ?
If yes to all of my questions a compression test would be next before I spent anymore time on other things. IMHO.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
If the plugs are good, u can run a hot wire to the rail.. that WILL supply power to them.. give it a 10, 1 thousand count..& try it..
BUT FIRST.. u should bleed the fuel system of air..
Loosen the line going directly into the inj. pump and crank the engine, crank until u get fuel and no air & tighten..
Next loosen the steel lines from the pump AT THE INJECTORS.. crank until fuel squirts out..& tighten..
Don’t get the starter to hot.. 10 second bursts is enough..
If u don’t get fuel outta the steel lines AT THE INJECTORS.. u have pump problems.
Oh wait.. question.. how do you shut the engine off.??
Pull cable or key.??
If its the key, there IS an electric solenoid that has to be energized before it’ll start.!!
Good luck

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Sorry for writing the manual but it sounds like U NEED ONE..
I forgot to tell you how to test IF the gp’s are good..
There r 2 ways.. but I’m only gonna tell u 1..
Remove the glow plugs from the engine..
Find a battery charger..
Hook the negative to the body of the gp and the positive to the top spade..DO NOT HOLD THE G PLUG.!!!
Turn on charger.. and start counting.. 1, 1 thousand, 2, 1 thousand and so on.. they should be CHERRY RED by 10..
If not, count until they are..
THAT WAY you’ll know how long to energize the rail..
Good luck

Michael Kast

Occupation
finish carpenter
On my little Yanmars in my TL150 Takeuchis, hard cold starts was injector nozzles.
Hard hot starts was injection pump.
I tried to keep this post specific but it seems I am off in the weeds. Are the glow plugs a good place to begin? It was running ok and now it won't start.

heymccall

Your getting black smoke, so, preheating may not help.
If preheating were mandatory or required, it would be white smoke out the exhaust.

It was suggested just as an aid for starting.
On a 10k hour TL150, it will start any time in the summer fairly well, but preheat with an 1/8 throttle starts cleanly. But, those are Yanmar engines, not Isuzu.