• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

takeuchi tl140 isuzu engine trouble

dirtman3981

my tl140 doesnt have any power and is hard to start. If you pull the glow plugs they have oil on them. It has new fuel pump, lines, and filters. It does not have any noticeable blow by. The guy I have working on it says it needs a new engine. He has not done compression test due to not having the right fittings for gauge. Any ideas?

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
Its hard to diagnose a problem like this over a forum.

With that being said, there is multiple things it could be.

Oil on the glow plugs could easily be confused with fuel on the glow plugs.

These machines were bad for fuel issues. I would make sure that you don't just have a fuel issue. The fittings were bad for getting plugged. I would make sure they are all clean.
If I remember right, there was a screen in the injection pump as well.
Also make sure you test your primer pump pressure. Make sure that the fuel shut off isn't partially shut off still.

Is there any reason that you would suspect the engine itself to be bad? Did you run it out of oil or coolant? Is the engine high hours? Does the engine burn oil? How long has this been a issue?

Does this machine have a positive air shut off valve installed? How are the air filters?

What color is the exhaust smoke?

If your engine has failed, you will have excessive blow by from the crank case vent. Check how much air flow is coming from it, and check if there is smoke coming from it.
Also, you should be able to put your thumb partly over it, with little resistance. ****ONLY DO THIS FOR A SECOND OR LESS OR YOU WILL BLOW OUT THE FRONT OIL SEAL****
(I know this isn't a very accurate test)

Last edited:

Delmer

Also, What's the history on the machine? Have you checked the valve clearance and the injection timing?

Haaggar

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Dirtman,

"The guy I have working on it says it needs a new engine." He has not performed a compression test......

Find someone else to look at it. Diagnosing a bad engine without even the minimal of testing means 1) he is not logical 2) he doesn't want to mess with it.

A lot of times "oil" on the glow plugs is just a sign of a glow plug not working.

I hope that helps some. It really sounds like a combination of simple problems. I wouldn't jump directly to a bad engine (especially without a compression test.)

An adapter is as easy as a new glow plug. Buy a new one. Install it. The one you took out, drill it out. Weld a pipe fitting on the threads. Attach a pressure gauge. Check compression.

Good luck!

Hag

dirtman3981

Dirtman,

"The guy I have working on it says it needs a new engine." He has not performed a compression test......

Find someone else to look at it. Diagnosing a bad engine without even the minimal of testing means 1) he is not logical 2) he doesn't want to mess with it.

A lot of times "oil" on the glow plugs is just a sign of a glow plug not working.

I hope that helps some. It really sounds like a combination of simple problems. I wouldn't jump directly to a bad engine (especially without a compression test.)

An adapter is as easy as a new glow plug. Buy a new one. Install it. The one you took out, drill it out. Weld a pipe fitting on the threads. Attach a pressure gauge. Check compression.

Good luck!

Hag
He is a mechanic with United Rentals. United is a Takeuchi dealer but they are not trained from the factory. I bought the machine new and it has served us well along with a Gehl ctl70 before had no issues. Our closest dealer lost their contract because they sell too many Kubota svl loaders. I may try a dealer in another state.

Haaggar

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Dirtman,

Yes find someone else, for some reason he doesn't want to mess with it. (the R&R on a new motor is a better profit margin for him than diagnostics?) But you don't have to go to a dealer, unless it is a warranty problem. The isuzu diesel is not rare ( I think they are the single largest diesel manufacturer...). Not sure how close to the coast you are, but a lot of boats use the small isuzu. You may want to stop by a couple larger truck shops and ask. You are not having any troubles (that you know of) with the hydraulics or the skid steer specific stuff. You are having trouble with the diesel engine. A good farm tractor mechanic should be able to help you also. Stop by one of the larger foresters and see what mechanic they use. You should not have to go too far. With my Isuzu, we found that it was just a couple bad glow plugs causing the starting problem. We lose power after about a half hour of work, but I think it is a fuel flow problem.. and we have not cleaned the tanks, lines etc. like we should. The little skid steer it is in, the hour meter broke with a kabillion hours on it, years ago and I don't suspect the engine of having real problems.

Good luck! Have a good weekend!

dirtman3981

The local Deere construction dealer is an isuzu dealer because of Hitachi excavators. It doesnt take long to pay for a new engine when they start working on something. Got a local injection shop that might be willing. Thanks for you help. Cass

Delmer

You won't be happy if the new engine is installed and then you find the real problem. Oil consumption and blowby are the obvious signs of a worn engine, if you don't notice either then look for cheaper problems.

It's easy to check the glow plugs if you have a multimeter/test light/etc. and can disconnect the wires to each one individually. Check the ohms and they'll all come out pretty close to each other, or no continuity/open/infinite ohms, these are burned out. That's the starting issue.

Have you inspected every fitting from inside of the tank to the pump?

dirtman3981

thats our next step. thanks for your input. got a guy trying to give me 8000 the way it is. Kinda tempted to take money and run for a new one. Cass

ship660

Not sure about your machine but I worked on one last summer having fuel issues. It was a fuel inlet screen in the banjo bolt that was plugged. Think it was the main line from lift pump to injection pump. Easy to miss if you dont know it's in there. Un-screw banjo bolt and its a plastic screen that screws into the bottom of bolt.

dirtman3981

Not sure about your machine but I worked on one last summer having fuel issues. It was a fuel inlet screen in the banjo bolt that was plugged. Think it was the main line from lift pump to injection pump. Easy to miss if you dont know it's in there. Un-screw banjo bolt and its a plastic screen that screws into the bottom of bolt

Thanks. Will try that.

hollowellreid

Mine is hard to start but still has good power and doesn't really use any oil. It's got a load of hours though and I can only imagine compression is down when cold. It's still a really strong machine however.

I did the glow plugs, injection pump, and injector rebuild. Better but no brand new model.

I can't believe how incompetent most diesel mechanics are. I have taken trucks or equipment to them a few times hoping to have them really "diagnose" something rather than just guess, but they just throw parts at it with no real idea. Sad state of affairs if these are the "pros". It's good to see some people here with real diagnostic skills! A good passionate group of gear heads. If I remember correctly, the glow plugs through an Isuzu engine dealer were MUCH cheaper than through Takeuchi. Maybe 1/3 of the cost. I just looked through my file and the glow plugs were $74.43 for ours, part # 8973641281. It is an early model though and not sure if they stayed the same throughout the whole production.

I'd suggest carefully and slowly taking off the fuel cap and blowing a SMALL amount of compressed air back through the tank as well to make sure the pickup isn't clogged. 9 times out of 10 it's something simple..

jimpad

I'll second the fuel issues. I've found crud in the banjo fittings on the water separator and I've had to blow air into the line from the water separator to the tank.

Michael Kast

Occupation
finish carpenter
follow up. tl140 has a screen on the banjo fitting at the injector pump. ours was clogged causing it to starv for fuel.

I thought I went over everything between the tank and the injector pump. I don't remember a screen. Back in go I.