• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Super wide singels

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I just read in a Michelin ad that singles save fuel as well, I suppose from reduced friction and drag. The ad claims a 4% fuel milage increase. Plus, they advertise nearly a 1000 pound weight savings by converting to singles.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Tridrive trucks are common as mud here they are mainly used for logging trucks. If I was going to buy a tridrive it would either be a Kenworth T-800 or a Mack Granite. As for running single wide tires on the drive wheels of a tri drive not a good idea you will run the risk of pealing the tire off the rim.

Tridrives are hard on tires the center axle is the pivot the furthest rear axle drives the other two axles go long for the ride till you lock the interlock in for the front two axles. You lock the diff locks in for all three axles the truck is going to go straight no way of turning :bouncegri

If you do run the single wides you would want the heaviest sidewall you can get you probably will want to run a all position tread so the tires slide easier when turning.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Yes you can order a tridem (3 drive axles) I have had to pull many trucks out of the mud or out of gravel tracking pads with my excavtor. Since I have been doing a lot of demo work I am looking into getting my own rolloff truck. And with a tridem/ triaxle if you where to get a flat you still have the other 2 axles. Can you run a superwide on the front axle the tire is 18" wide

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
And with a tridem/ triaxle if you where to get a flat you still have the other 2 axles.

Are you suggesting that you'd run with the only tire at one end of an axle, flat?

Jeff D.

I wonder if he didn't mean in an emergency situation?At least it wouldn't roll over,if you had a blow-out,with two additional axles supporting it.Or you could at least get off the road and parked unlike a single drive axle,with no tag.

I'm almost afraid to post anymore.The one area I thought I knew something(Trucks) I find out,I'm ignorant their too!! :) I never realized they had tridems(3 powered drives)but after my earlier post I see Nac had a link to a Kenworth site that proved they did,in a different thread.They must be rare though,I've always seen lift axles,when the capacity needed to be greater than a tandem.LT9000 said they used them in BC also,for logging.

I had assumed the "super singles" used on the drives could fit a steer axle,but I'm probly wrong again,as per usual.They could have interference problems with the steering components due to turning,I supose??

Nac,I can tell you with confidence,that I'm SURE that they're(Tires) all black,round when new,and will leave skid marks in the dirt when you fail to check if your brakes are frozen,like mine this morning! ;)

kamerad47

Why Nac would you want a tri drive truck in NJ ????? there is no reason for it!!!! Why do you want floats ?? they use them to run light weight front axles for weight ?? A normal triaxle is what you need !! A tri drive would probably weight more & would suck fuel & be slow on the highway & would cost $150.000..000!!!!!!!

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
A truck with lift axles is a POS a tridrive will carry more weight you have way better traction more stability etc. Each drive axle is 23,000lbs each so you have 69,000lbs of axle capacity plus your 20,000lb front axle capacity so you have a manufactures gvw of 89,000lbs.

The other option for a truck that will carry more weight is go with a tandem tandem you run a truck with twin 18,000lb steer axles and 46,000lb tandems gives you a gvw of 82,000lbs.

I wouldn't run single wides on a tridrive thou I already explained why you won't save that much in weight either. Most tridrives here have all aluminum bud wheels anyhow.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
While we are looking at different truck options, have you looked into a tandem drive with lift axle and front drive axle? I don't have a clue what it would be like for weight capacity or price, but it is another option to look into. Good luck with whatever you get.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Here in Alaska DOT does not reconise lift axles. if it lifts it does not add anything to the capacity of the truck. They are not aginst the law just they do nothing toard the GVW in the eyes of DOT. There are a lot of wide front tires here on cement mixers. 99.9% run duels on the rears of there trucks and if it is realy going to get messy they install over the tire tracks as needed then remove them on the road.
My 63 REO runs 14,500 lb empty and gross @ 48,000 so that lets me cary a legal load of about 33,000. My L900 colcks in @ 23,500 and gross @ 52,000 which only alowes me to carry 28,500. Unless you are going to be real rouff on the truck think about looking for a light waight. When DOT load restrictions go on I can still run my REO at 75% and still carry more then any other truck in town. And don't say the light waight trucks don't last because this truck is going on 43 years old and still running.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Nothing is set in stone yet I am exploring all my options. Tandem with a lift axle, Tridem (3 drive axles), Single wide tires vs. tandem tires. I am checking priceing for all combanations and also weight savings or loss. There are problems with tandems with a lift axle once off road you lift the axle so you dont get hungup and that where your overloading the drive axles on the worst terrain, also sometimes you get hung up because of the lift axle. As i get more info i will keep you informed,

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
That is the biggest problem with lift axles is once you get off road they take the weight off the drives and your stuck. Even with the lift axle in the lifted position the wheels will still contact the ground and lift the drive wheels off.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Well I should have a price on a truck on Monday. I priced a Volvo VHD triaxle and a Wester Star 4900 SA tridem both with around 410 HP and 8LL trans with 385 up front and 445 in the rear. So we will see what the price diffrence is

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
You are spec'ing the trucks with 14 litre power not a 10-12 litre engine trying to produce 410hp. I would also stay away from the Volvo engines they are junk same with the volvo transmissions.

Most gravel and rolloff trucks here are running minimum 450hp 14litre engines as usual with the highest torque you can get 1550-1650ftlbs.

You will also want to run the 445s on the steer axle then you get the full 20,000lb axle capacity plus you have all the same size tire so if you never need a spare your not running a different tire.

With the Western Star you want the 14L series 60 the 12L is a tad small for the tandem axle trucks. The Mercedes is 450hp its only 12L power a little small aswell its a good engine its a little unproven in the North American market.

The Series 60 is a proven performer and its decent on fuel and cheap to repair the Mercedes and Volvo engines are not cheap to repair.

The reason why you want the 14 litre engine is for the durability a bigger engine producing 400hp than a maxed out small block engine putting out 400hp. You also want the bigger displacement engine for the JAKE power.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
I belive it ia a 13 L engine. With Volvo you have to get a Volvo motor that is the only option. With a 385 up front you have almost 19,000 rating I think you can not get enough weight on 445 up front definatly will float over everything. The dealer is not sure if the 445 will fit up front they are ckecking on it. Also the bigger the motor more money more weight. Will see once i have all the info infront of me

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I looked up the engine spec's yesterday its a 12l engine still a little engine putting out 400hp. You can max the front axle pretty easy if you pull on a real heavy box.

If you go with a VHD you can only get the one engine if you go with a Western Star which would be my first choice then you go with a series 60 (14l) with 450-475hp.

The other think I'am not so sure of is the T ride suspension Volvo uses.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Western Star

Well here is the scoop:
2007 Western Star 4900SA Chassis for rolloff
Set back axle with super visibility hood
MBE 4000-450 12.8L 450HP 1550LB/FT compresion and turbo brake
Eaton Fuller 8LL Trans
20,000 Front axle with 22.5x13 Alum. and 445/65R22.5 Goodyear G178SS
69,000 Tridem rear axle with 22.5x13 Alum. and 445/65R22.5 Goodyear G178SS
$118,159.00 chassis only

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Oops I misread your post anyhow so you are getting a tridem chassis which is still a little high. The reason why the price is high is the demand for tridrives in the Alberta oil fields is so high.

I'am still a little concerned about the Mercedes being up to the task especially with a tridrive most guys here will spec a tridrive truck with ISX and C-15 Cat with a 18spd.

If your looking for another good chassis look at a Mack Granite CV713. The new Granite series trucks are alot nicer compared to the old R models. Mack builds tridrive trucks aswell for redimix applications.

I don't know what type of hoist you want to run a hook lift or conventional rails. The hooklift system will probably cost 30 grand plus bins the conventional rail system probably 20 grand.

I think the problem your dealers are having is tridrive trucks are probably not that common in your area. Here on Western Canada (B.C. and Alberta) tridrive trucks are common as mud their popularity is growing there is waiting lists.

Heres the thing you have to re-evaluate do you need a tridrive truck ?

Last edited:

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Well i have the Western star spec sheet but the dealer gave it to me with just the total cost no by option, so I am wating for the one by options to see what the tridem is costing and what the wheel options are costing more. He in NJ a triaxle (tandem + lift axle) with a 75,000 LB rolloff and auto tarper runs around 135,000-140,000. So this truck scould come in at 145,000-150,000 about 10,000 more

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
That is still alot of money for a rolloff truck I converted that to CND it comes to 173,610 dollars :eek2

You still have to buy bins thats another 5 grand each are you sure its even worth buying a rolloff truck ?

As for a truck with a lift axle I don't like them in the US you guys have them on every truck either your guys roads are built on mush or your DOT doesn't realize what a truck can carry on 3 axles.

A regular tandem axle rolloff truck here can gross 58,000lbs and can carry a 40 yard bin of most material off of a construction site. You just have to use common sense not to overload the bin if you know if the material is heavy.

The customer your working for is just going to have to pay for the disposal fees if it takes you multiple trips to get rid of the debris sobeit.

I would try find a used rolloff truck or a used truck and put a rolloff hoist on to it. I really can't see a brandnew rolloff truck costing you that much money you are close enough to Ontario Canada I think you might be better off looking for a truck there. That dealer you are dealing with sounds like a rip off artist.

I just looked at truck paper.com and found 2006 (new) Kenworth T-800s with 75,000lb hoists 128,000 to 132,000.

I found a 2006 new Sterling standard duty tandem roll off 96,000 and a new Sterling Heavy duty tandem 99,000. Brandnew 2006 Mack CV713 tandems 119,000.

Start searching the dealer your dealing with has the KY Jelly out you are gonna get screwed :bouncegri

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Those prices you find onthe internet you have to compare apples to apples not apples to oranges. Also you have to check if FET is include (12% Tax) Now I am talking a high HP engine Alum wheels 75,000 hoist Auto tarper all Led lights power everthing this is not a bare bones truck. In NJ you can haul 70,000 with tandem 80,000 with Triaxle. I have filled 30cy general debris boxes loading it with my excavator to 28 tons general debris mostly wood. I have compared and those are the prices here in NJ I am still shoopoing around. Buying used id not real option around hear either they still want to much money or the truck is junk I see used Autocars still geting 90,000 dollars.