• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stubby drill bits?

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Anyone know of a source for "stubby" or short shank drill bits? I need to find some locally or I'm pretty much effed. I called Greenshields, Grainger, Fastenal, Tacoma Screw, Champion Bolt and the Hardware stores. Somebody has to have them somewhere???? 7/16ths

wastednights

Anyone know of a source for "stubby" or short shank drill bits? I need to find some locally or I'm pretty much effed. I called Greenshields, Grainger, Fastenal, Tacoma Screw, Champion Bolt and the Hardware stores. Somebody has to have them somewhere???? 7/16ths

Try Snap On Tools?

Metalman 55

I believe you are looking for a "Jobber Drill" in lieu of the standard twist drill, with the Jobber having a somewhat shorter shank. If you search that name, you can come up with something locally likely. You could try McMaster-Carr, they have an online catalogue.

525isx

Occupation
log trucker
screw machine drill bits are what they're called. I don't know anywhere local, other than where you have tried. I order from mcmaster-carr or enco/msc.

525 in enumscratch

AndrewC

I bought a full set to 1/2" from walter. They are about three inches long and really cut well. They call them stub length and I use them on my mag drill when working in tight spots. Stick them deep into the chuck and they are short. I got them from quest supplies up here in Canada. Cost was about $225

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Give High Strength Bolt down in Kent a call. They have some odd ball stuff that not many people carry.

RobVG

Occupation
That's what I need Willie. Unfortunately Grainger is closed tomorrow.

Thanks guys

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Unfortunately Grainger is closed tomorrow.

Well, yeah, a screw machine length bit is typically more of an industrial supplier item, you'd be lucky if you found one anywhere on the weekend. Sorry about that. :)

Cmark

If you're really stuck, just break off a standard drill bit and resharpen the end.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
If you're really stuck, just break off a standard drill bit and resharpen the end.

Cmark,

Been there Done That!

Have had times when I needed to install a thread insert in a tight place and that was the only option other than a major amount of disassembly .

brianbulldozer

Try Swift Tool in Seattle or Kent for instant gratification. Try Enco (use-enco.com) for cheaper prices, usually stocked in Nevada and a couple days away by UPS ground.

Last edited:

Andrew_D

Keep in mind that if you cut a drill bit off short and resharpen it, the web gets thicker the shorter you go.

That's not to say that I haven't done it. Especially in situations where I didn't necessarily need a long drill bit but I needed a rigid one. Hard to make a 3/16"ish drill bit rigid without shortening it! Just make sure that as part of the sharpening process, that you thin that web down a bit or it will cut pretty hard.

Andrew

RobVG

Occupation
Well, a screw machine length bit still won't do it with a right angle drill. It looks like I'm going to have to cut the mount off. Any other ideas before I start this afternoon?

Thought of welding studs in but there wouldn't be enough clearance for the motor.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Rob, what kind of gap are you working in, an inch and a half? What the heck are we working on here?

Other ideas? cut the drill bit shank down to a minimum, actually all the way into the flutes of the drill, wrap the flutes with aluminum foil, stick it in the chuck and tighten it up so you only have a nub of drill tip sticking out.

What the heck are you working on that you need such tight clearance?