• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Strange buyer's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welder Dave

Delivered the welder today. We stopped about half way there, had a bite to eat and then continued on. Not a lot of traffic and it didn't seem that long. About 1 3/4 hours driving. We got there early at 2 and it's a good thing because he was only 5 minutes later despite saying 2:30. He was much better in person.
They slid the pallet the welder was on to the back of my tailgate and it rolled right into his truck easy peasy. He brought an envelope from the bank with the $1000 in it. I told him, I think you'll really like it. 45 minutes after I got back he texted me. Fired the old lady up and it welds like a dream! Hope it lasts. I responded it should last a lifetime. Awesome, thanks for your time Dave. Can't get better than that.
I used a little less than a 1/4 tank of gas and have a 132 litre tank so made about a $550 profit in 2 weeks. $850 on 2 welders in a couple month's. I have a gas drive Big 40 to sell in the summer. Just need to clean it up a little after it was sitting under some tree's. Should be able to make $1000-$1500 on it. It's on a nice tandem axle trailer. I was going to keep the trailer to put my SA200 on but might sell it. Haven't decided yet. The trailer is worth about $1500 on its own.

Welder Dave

Yes. I think the guy was like most people, wondering if he's making a good decision without being able to try it out first. He said he was reading up on Dialarc's so that might have eased his mind too.

Just got a text from him. "Stretching the legs of the old girl. Welding 5/32" for a couple hours beautiful welds hardly working her." I'm really glad he's liking it.

Last edited:

Old Doug

My Dad had several things he wouldn't take less for now I am trashing ,scraping or giving them away. The experience has changed my way of thinking. I wonder if he or someone could see what was going to happen what if anything they would have done differently ?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Depression era or the last of the Greatest Generation were all as that, have boxes of ‘stuff’ in laws had stuffed in their basement they thought might find use for, that would not sell open auction, wife cannot separate her emotions from this crap long enough to deal with it. I can as 90% is scrap or trash.
I have started the reduction process of ‘stuff’ I collected for over fifty years, will either go to Goodwill, Church sale, scrap or dumpster. Tools I have no further desire of will be sold or traded away. All comes around to those that gain the knowledge is no longer necessary.

BIL, wife’s older brother is also a packrat, he had stuff had no idea why he kept, retired METRO St. Louis where now is divesting his home of the “stored Sh!t”!!

mekanik

When my siblings and I cleaned out my parents house I was shocked at how much garbage my Dad saved. We had a two yard dumpster dropped at the house and we filled it twice. My Dad never got rid of anything.
I promised myself I would not do that to my children. I have spent the past couple years purging stuff that I really don't need and will continue doing more.

Shimmy1

When my siblings and I cleaned out my parents house I was shocked at how much garbage my Dad saved. We had a two yard dumpster dropped at the house and we filled it twice. My Dad never got rid of anything.
I promised myself I would not do that to my children. I have spent the past couple years purging stuff that I really don't need and will continue doing more.
Here is the truth of the matter. Most of the people that saved all this stuff went through the Depression, and either learned to live, or didn't know any other way than having less than nothing. After going through that, they weren't taking any chances ever again.

We can all talk so damn smart (nothing intended towards you, mekanik, or any other on here, myself included), but until we go through what these people did, we really have no idea. When you literally have nothing, anything you can assign a mental value to becomes important, and you live accordingly. I'm a pack rat according to the guys I work with. I grew up working on older machinery, and making do with the absolute barest minimum of funds for repair or replacement parts. Something that looks like scrap to most people can sometimes be the difference between fixing something for pennies, or having to go buy a part for thousands. I've done it, and I know many of you have too.

I'm not trying to justify anything, point any fingers at anyone, or anything like that. Most of the younger generation has no idea, could not even comprehend the seriousness of a situation where you have to decide between new tires, food on the table, or heating fuel in the tank. And I hope they never do.

Truck Shop

I'm not trying to justify anything, point any fingers at anyone, or anything like that. Most of the younger generation has no idea, could not even comprehend the seriousness of a situation where you have to decide between new tires, food on the table, or heating fuel in the tank. And I hope they never do.
A persons belly button scrapping on the spine has a way of adjusting what real priorities are.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I ate a great deal of “vegetable soup” made primarily of Cab age in Beef Broth. Grandmother and Great Aunt( Granma’s sis) fed us as they always had eaten. Small Victory Garden for a few odd items, stories of neighbors picking and choosing what could trade with others for assortments on a table. We lived poor until I was late teens and Dad’s position at Mac became a great pay posting.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Here is the truth of the matter. Most of the people that saved all this stuff went through the Depression, and either learned to live, or didn't know any other way than having less than nothing. After going through that, they weren't taking any chances ever again.

^^^^^^^^^ Right on.

Old Doug

Its kind of funny those people and my Dad couldnt see how much it cost to save stuff . I have stuff and I am going through it now but a lot of stuff costs more to keep than it costs to replace. I have a lot of ??? to ask myself and decisions to make .

Shimmy1

but a lot of stuff costs more to keep than it costs to replace.
I'm wondering if you could explain what exactly you're suggesting? If you mean "it costs" in terms of when someone else has to dispose of the sh!t for pennies on the dollar that they refused to accept to sell said piece, I get that completely. But, is there a direct cost you are referring to?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Time Wasted costs.

Time collecting, Storing out, cannot find later for use spending hours to not find or has weathered beyond re-use, wasted efforts wasted stored space, waste of more time disposing.

Great Uncle spent hours straightening nails he pulled from his farm structures, to reuse as need to repair or patch. Can remember he arguing with my grandfather that any money spent of something disposable but reusable was waste even at pennies per lb, could not see the time spent doing as was interrupting other work that actually made money. I save SOME screws I remove from Carpentry rated assembly with screws, most end up bent or Heads damaged by bit spinouts, easier and more cost effective throw in the scrap bucket.

Truck Shop

Time collecting, Storing out, cannot find later for use spending hours to not find or has weathered beyond re-use, wasted efforts wasted stored space, waste of more time disposing.
Exactly--I had a collection of high performance Ford parts back in the 80's. I had to move the
stuff twice, cranks, heads, blocks you name it was there. spent allot of time collecting and
moving. I finally just said to hell with it put a ad in the Seattle paper. $3,800 takes it all,
no picking through it. Three guys went together and bought the lot, three 3/4 ton pickups
and a U-Haul to move it, best day in a long while.

cfherrman

My grandparents were millionaires a few times over. Last time I seen them Grandmas kitchen cloth was disintegrating, but was still using it.

Grandpa invested in companies like apple in the beginning.

If I don't need something for like 6 months I toss it, I grew up poor and have hoarder genes so it's hard but when your looking for something and only find junk and you have to buy new it sucks.

I have never found razor blades, it's always a single use pack for me even if it was 50

Status
Not open for further replies.