• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Strange buyer's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welder Dave

"What's the lowest price you'll take?"

That line really rubs me the wrong way. I don't even want to deal with them anymore. Make a reasonable offer and we'll go from there.
I've had people like that, what's your lowest price? You haven't even seen it and you figure it should be less money. Don't waste my time.

Shimmy1

I've had people like that, what's your lowest price? You haven't even seen it and you figure it should be less money. Don't waste my time.
Well, what you consider a fair price, what everyone else considers a fair price, and what actually IS a fair price might all be the same, or hundreds/thousands of dollars apart. Just because you think someone is getting a hell of a deal, or maybe even a fair price doesn't make it so.

Also, just because you bought something cheap doesn't automatically entitle you to make a buck on it.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I’ve had times where I buy something I shouldn’t just because I drove too far to leave with nothing.
I went to buy a camper 4 hours away which looked real good in pictures and priced right. I get there and the first thing is it’s a year older model than the add says which makes you lose the led lights. Oh well knock the price down. Then I see someone has been adjusting the slide out to try and get it fitting better. Work is clearly fresh but owner denies having touched it. Knock the price down some more and then against better judgement I make an offer which he quickly accepts. Oh **** now it’s mine.
I bring it home and find out it has had some hokey wall repairs done and done wrong which is why slideout won’t line up. I spend the next few days fixing the F U. Swallow my pride and carry on.

Welder Dave

Don't know there were 2 threads with the same title. I started a 2nd thread because a couple people seemed to think they knew more than I did about the market for a welder here. The 2nd thread was just about buyers feeling like they're doing you a favor when you go out of your way for them. The buyer never even asked about a lower price. He just seemed to not like the extra $100 for me to drive 2 hours to meet him. It's not worth it for any less. I could have easily said no. The comment I made regarding people wanting a lower price over the phone without seeing something wasn't in reference to the welder. I think some people forget I'm in Canada. Knock about $250 off for a US price. Then it's about a $400-450 welder. A damn good $450 welder that will last a lot longer than any inverter ever will and burn all rods with ease without needing a bunch of electronic gimmicks just to be able to strike an arc.

Last edited:

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
What is with all the Drama in here?
I don’t think nobody said the boat anchor of a welder wouldn’t sell.
It’s just not all that of a welder anymore.
I can’t believe we have 2 pages for an old welder but yes compared to a buzz box, a Dial Arc weld beautifully but I thought he had a Thunderbolt.
Those weld pretty nice.

Welder Dave

It was certainly implied it was a big, loud old dinosaur and obsolete and it would be better to buy a cheap Chinese inverter and I'd never get my price for it. I said it was a Dialarc 250 AC/DC. If anyone thought it was a Thunderbolt they obviously weren't reading very carefully. I never asked for any drama. Originally I asked about putting a warranty on it. I wouldn't even consider that if I didn't think it was a good reliable machine. The buyer is a little odd but I know he's getting a good machine and will be happy with it.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
I thought you said he had a Miller Thunderbolt welder that **** the bed?
I never said you wouldn’t get the money for it.
It’s certainly not worth that kind of money around here but then it’s always worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.
It’s not implied it’s an old big loud dinosaur, it is an old loud big fat heavy dinosaur but they do throw nice beads.
Lol, laugh a little Dave, it will do you some good.
Hope the sale goes through.

Truck Shop

Now that this thread has ran awhile and I've sat and watched-----Most buyers are pests to the
tune of 75% of them, and a percentage are buying/haggling because spending money they don't
have makes them happy. And some pester others to sell because it's a case of {I have it you don't}.
Story about a pestering type.
Old job I worked repair towing--The owner was in the impound yard scrapping and smashing up
some for a trip to scrap yard in Fife. I happen to be there dropping off a tow on impound. This guy
I had seen hanging around before was talking to Don-I noticed this pester was getting agitated.
Don was setting in the old conventional crane looking down at this turd, when he suddenly turned
started the engine, raised the weight, swung to the left and let it drop. Right on a perfect front
clip off a 1968 428 CJ STANG. He shut the engine off looked at the turd { Get off my property}.
See it wasn't the money, money had nothing to do with it---Don just didn't like the guy----
and was satisfied seeing him cry over crushed steel.;)

Welder Dave

He did have a Thunderbolt. Dialarc's were made up till about 2018. Lincoln still makes the Idealarc 250 which is in the same category. Hardly dionsaurs. Miller has gone to inverters and I'm sure one of the reasons is because they're cheaper to build. Reliabilty of a transformer I think is unrivaled. Since when is a fan that loud? Another poster said I'd never get what I'm asking. The guy texted me today to make sure everything is good to go tomorrow and his wife went to the bank to get the money. I think it's pretty safe to assume the sale is a done deal. I'm going to do up a bill of sale tonight and text it to him. I'm sure he'll be more than happy with it.

kaffine

Good luck with the sale. I am surprised you were willing to drive 2 hours for $100. Last time I asked someone how much to deliver an item across town (~30 minute) it was over $100. It wasn't worth it even though it meant I had to drive my truck with marginal AC across town when it was still hot out.

I've driven 2.5 hours each way to buy a sheet metal break. I hope the seller didn't think I was that much of a hassle. I did ask if he was able to help load and said what equipment I could bring if needed. He replied that he had access to a skid steer and could just load it in the truck without issues. My first contact was early in the week and I was going to pick it up on Saturday so Friday I contacted him just to be sure the deal was still good. I called when I was about an hour out to let him know. I pullup take a quick look at the break and say I'll take it. He loads it on my truck and I pay him, then I spend 20 minute tying it down before driving off.

I will drive a long distance for oddball stuff at a good price. Typically the price is already good enough I don't see a need to haggle.

Tyler d4c

I had a skid steer grapple bucket on c-list. Guy comes to look at it.
"Think I'll pass"
Ok, thanks
Guy goes out one side of the circle drive and back in the other, gets out, changed my mind! I'll take it.
Hands me the cash.
Lol...wtf?
Ed
I was pedaling a military surplus generator a few weeks ago I was asking 6000 he come to look at it and offered 5 I said no I want 6 he left and about 45 minutes later I get a message will you do 5500 no fella I want 6 he said ok ill be down Saturday for it. Let them walk if that's what you want someone will pay it!

Welder Dave

He seemed a little shocked when I said $100 so I threw in a 50lb. can of rods. I bought a bunch of rod for $25 and there were 2 50lb. cans of rod I didn't really need or want. Then he asked if they were open. I said no they're in a sealed can. Really? I didn't have to throw them in. Normally I either would have said I'll only drive an hour away or just said if you want it, come and get it. I didn't know how long it would take to find another buyer is why I agreed. I expect I might have had to lower my price $100 or $150. It would have been better to get $150 to go 2 hours but I figure I'm getting $150-$200 more than I would have got selling it local. I'm sure he would have said no if I said $150. I'm coming out ahead so that's the most important. He mentioned he has a neighbor who's a welder with a similar Lincoln. I'm guessing an Idealarc 250. If that's the case it's highly possible his neighbor told him it's a good machine. If there's a next time I'll do things differently. It's a PIA being a delivery service and having to move 400lb's. from 1 truck to another.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.