• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stormtech underground stormwater retention system.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Sounds like the only problems stemmed from them not sending the right product.

Looking good!

Yes Sir that's correct.:cool: Lost a day to not having the structures and now we have to field cut the end caps. I am going to be asking for a discount due to the mishaps on their part.

Thanks for the compliments.:drinkup

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
just curious how come you rented the 308 when you had the 334? size difference?

The 334 wouldn't lift the 4'x4' pre-cast inlet/junction box that set on the side of the building. Access is tight, to say the least, around that corner of the building. I mob'd the pipe, inlet box, riser and pedestal top to the area next to the building before the footing guys got started because I couldn't have gotten it in there once they dug and poured the footings.

Also the depth of the 24" pipe that runs down that side of the building was 6' deep +/-, so I killed two birds with one stone and rented the 308 to dig the pipe and set the box. Had it on rent for a week, it was $1200 with delivery. I anticipated the rental in my bid and it actually worked out in my favor as I had the rental priced for that run of pipe and finished it early. We used it to run another 80' and set another yard inlet I had planned on using the 420 for. The 308 is naturally more efficient than the backhoe so we made up a little $$ in production.;)

Shenandoah

Lost yesterday due to waiting on the two isolator row structures that were left off the first shipment.

Dang, I read this whole thread since the get-go and missed the part about it being a guberment job until this post...:)

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Dang, I read this whole thread since the get-go and missed the part about it being a guberment job until this post...:)

LOL! This part feels like it's a gubment' job.:D

OldandWorn

Thanks for the pics CM. So.....is the main purpose of this for storing rainwater and letting it flow out into the public storm system pipes at a slower rate? I know nothing about this as you can tell. :)

I just watched the video and noticed non-woven fabric on the bottom and woven on the top. Does one stop water and the other lets it pass through?

Last edited:

wnydirtguy

Ah yes the good old Stormtech System. Looks like u got it. A thing I like to do is put a screw in them so they dont pop apart as u are stoning them. They are not to bad after u get the hang of them. just a lot of labor to get them right. I have done both styles with structures and with out. it depends on how they are using the system. Did you have to put down plastic round the system?
CM1995 isn't it fun field cutting the ends to fit the pipe. I wish they would just send the right stuff.

DGODGR

This storm water system looks a lot like an infiltrator septic system. It looks like you went ahead with the install, despite the masons not being topped out.
Can you elaborate on the "love/hate" T250? The laser is too blury to make out but looks familiar. Which one are you using?
I have always wanted a 308 size machine. Right now it's really hard to justify when the old 416 keeps on going.
Nice pics...keep 'em coming.

Oxbow

Nice project CM,and thanks for the pics. Did you have to figure your rock quantity or was that provided in the design? I guess if you know the displacement of each it would not be too bad, but that looks like an easy place to loose if you goof that number up.

Around here I can see getting it all set up nice and pretty with fabric down and chambers in place and then having a nice 50 mph breeze come through. That is how my luck goes!

Sound like you will be able to pay for that pickup in no time if work continues to pick up!

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Thanks for the pics CM. So.....is the main purpose of this for storing rainwater and letting it flow out into the public storm system pipes at a slower rate? I know nothing about this as you can tell. :)

I just watched the video and noticed non-woven fabric on the bottom and woven on the top. Does one stop water and the other lets it pass through?

Yes Sir that whole system is designed to just hold and store rain water and eventually let it out to the public storm sewer system. The only storm water that goes into this system is a parking lot inlet and the roof leaders/gutters. Of course the bldg is 18K SF so that's a lot of water coming off the roof.

The non-woven on the bottom, sides and top. The woven under the manifolds and infiltrator row for scowl protection. To be honest I am not sure about your question, other than the woven fabric is a tougher material. I'll find out from the Engineer.

Ah yes the good old Stormtech System. Looks like u got it. A thing I like to do is put a screw in them so they dont pop apart as u are stoning them. They are not to bad after u get the hang of them. just a lot of labor to get them right. I have done both styles with structures and with out. it depends on how they are using the system. Did you have to put down plastic round the system?
CM1995 isn't it fun field cutting the ends to fit the pipe. I wish they would just send the right stuff.

I am thinking about putting some screws in the end caps and at the chambers. Some of the chambers are bowed/warped coming off the pallet - not enough to matter but just enough to be aggravating and skew the lines. So far the labor hasn't been that bad. I budgeted 40 labor hours to just install the system once the fabric and gravel was down. Yesterday I had 22 of the 40 labor hrs used up, so I'll go over a little.

I'm not sure what you mean by putting plastic down around the system?

This storm water system looks a lot like an infiltrator septic system. It looks like you went ahead with the install, despite the masons not being topped out.
Can you elaborate on the "love/hate" T250? The laser is too blury to make out but looks familiar. Which one are you using?
I have always wanted a 308 size machine. Right now it's really hard to justify when the old 416 keeps on going.
Nice pics...keep 'em coming.

Yeah DGODGR, it is really a big septic tank. Decided to go ahead and do the install. Those mason's are so slow it didn't affect us. Super is pushing as always and we had a nice window here before the steel guys get there to erect the building.

Ah the love part is running it, the hate part is working on it when it breaks down. That laser is the Topcon HL-4C we're talking about in this thread. So far it's been a great laser for what I need it for. I have set the structures and laid the pipe on this job with it.

I like the 308, perfect rental machine for my scope of work. I wouldn't own one because I use the 420 or mini when I can. This site just presented access issues where neither one of them would work. I need a 315/320 size hoe. Now that I have the truck situation taken care of I can start looking again.;)

Nice project CM,and thanks for the pics. Did you have to figure your rock quantity or was that provided in the design? I guess if you know the displacement of each it would not be too bad, but that looks like an easy place to loose if you goof that number up.

Around here I can see getting it all set up nice and pretty with fabric down and chambers in place and then having a nice 50 mph breeze come through. That is how my luck goes!

Sound like you will be able to pay for that pickup in no time if work continues to pick up!

Oxbow I figured my own rock for this one. They have a downloadable excel spreadsheet but I couldn't get it to work, compatibility issues with Mac or something, so I just calculated it myself. It's fairly straight forward, figure the volume of the chambers, size of the hole with over dig and go from there. Yeah if I goofed that number up I'll be looking for a change order somewhere to make it up - just kidding...:cool2

It's been windy here too. We have had to constantly go back and pull the fabric back down.

I hope work stays steady. I have bid a few discount stores that are expanding, I think I have one and bidding another now. Good think about the new truck is it's only 3 bills a month for the payment.:D

wnydirtguy

I'm not sure what you mean by putting plastic down around the system? CM1995 on the last system I did they had us put 30mil poly between the non-woven and the stone. not sure why because it was the first time we had to do it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
CM1995 on the last system I did they had us put 30mil poly between the non-woven and the stone. not sure why because it was the first time we had to do it.

That is interesting, I guess they wanted the water contained instead of leaching into the ground. :beatsme

This system is going to work like that too, the base and walls of the pit are some of the stiffest red clay I have worked with in a while - would make great terracotta pots. Water will not penetrate it so any water that goes into the system is not being absorbed, just contained

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
We toughed it out Friday until 10. Drizzling rain and 40 degree temps are miserable.:bash

We got one end of the manifolds "field cut" and installed and laid out the other end, tomorrow we'll finish up the field cuts. The ADS engineer is coming at 11 tomorrow to do a field inspection and give a letter stating everything is installed according to the spec's.

I plan on using a Garbro bucket attached to the forklift the GC has rented to place the anchoring stone between the chambers. Once that is done, we'll be using the T250 and 420 to place the stone backfill. In all I have figured 18 - 26 ton loads of stone to backfill the chambers 6" above the top of the chambers. Then the whole system is wrapped "burrito style" and another 12" of 8910, which is screenings, on top of that.

grandpa

We toughed it out Friday until 10. Drizzling rain and 40 degree temps are miserable.:bash

We got one end of the manifolds "field cut" and installed and laid out the other end, tomorrow we'll finish up the field cuts. The ADS engineer is coming at 11 tomorrow to do a field inspection and give a letter stating everything is installed according to the spec's.

I plan on using a Garbro bucket attached to the forklift the GC has rented to place the anchoring stone between the chambers. Once that is done, we'll be using the T250 and 420 to place the stone backfill. In all I have figured 18 - 26 ton loads of stone to backfill the chambers 6" above the top of the chambers. Then the whole system is wrapped "burrito style" and another 12" of 8910, which is screenings, on top of that.

Never got a quote from me on the materials...:D

thechamberdude

Nice pictures CM. Too bad there were missing parts though.

FYI
StormChamber endwalls are built in so no need to purchase and install separately. You can feed directly in to the StormChamber endwall, it can be field cut to accommodate up to a 30" pipe.

And the manhole with weir for isolator is not required. The raised wall on the downstream end of the inflow chamber works as a weir. When sediment latent water hits that wall, the load sediment drops into the SedimenTrap which is installed vertically below the chamber.

I'll post some pictures too.