• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stormtech underground stormwater retention system.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I am performing the site work for a new retail auto parts HUB store, it's a larger distribution store that sends parts out to the satellite stores. If you have ordered a part at the local store and they tell you they can have it by 3 PM or so, this is where it comes from.

Anyway, it has a Stormtech underground retention system. I have not done one of these before but it seems straight forward in design and installation. The local ADS rep will be on-hand for a pre-con meeting and to walk us through installation if needed.

Who else has done one of the these systems? What are the tricks/tips?

There will be a geo tech check our sub-grade, base stone and backfill. The civil/surveyor will check all elevations and inverts before we backfill.

Landclearer

We have done a couple. Nothing to it really. Make sure you dig your hole a little bigger than the staking because it grows a little in the hole when installing. It makes it a lot easier if you have a rock box also.

Chris

Turbo21835

Done a few, but most of them up here are built out of corrigated metal pipe. Did work around a plastic chamber system, they can be a pain if you dont stone them square and evenly. If they shift, they will pop out of the other one. Depending on how big the area is, I would consider a loader feeding a stone slinger to place the stone rather than using a hoe.

Colorado Digger

They are a piece of cake. You will need a cross of what you use for setting concrete structures and septic systems. The panels sanp together like quik 4's and are easy enough. good flat excavation with some overdig and you will be fine. I though the same thing before I did one, but it was way easy. Don't overthink it. How many panels? You will need a good amount of felt fabric as well.

Good luck, CD

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I resized a cut-out from the plans. Sorry for the small size.

Stormtech cutout JPEG.jpg

There are two 15" ADS lines that feed the isolation chamber. One from a parking lot inlet and another from the roof leaders. The bldg is 18,000 sf, hence the 15" roof leader line. The discharge is another 15" ADS line that runs into a precast curb inlet with a weir wall. From there the flow goes through 18" RCP to an existing curb inlet.

I didn't think it would be difficult when I bid the job and it will be good experience as the storm water regs are only getting stricter, which leads to more business.:drinkup

Plan on using Ol' Blue (Gradall 534D6) to place the initial backfill. I have a light material bucket for it and should work good considering the total chamber area is 110' x 32'. I will be able to get around 3 sides easily and the section closest to the building I can use a skid or wiggle Ol' Blue in there.

I'll be using #57 stone a 3/4"-1.5" washed limestone aggregate for the base and backfill around the chambers. This material needs minimal compaction which should save in equipment and labor.

This system comes with spacers between the rows to help lock the chambers together which should help keeping the chambers aligned during initial backfill. There is parking/pavement above the system so the backfill will be monitored by the geotech. I don't have a problem with the geotech and the surveyor verifying the system during construction, actually it will save my arse if the system fails for some reason in the future.:cool2

Thanks for all the replies. Should be installing it this month.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
On a hijack, yeah I not only hijack other threads but my own as well.:tong

Commercial work seems to be picking up in my area with auto parts stores and discount stores leading the way. I actually had a developer client of mine call me up last week with plans to actually put in a street for residential lots.:eek: Something I haven't heard of in years.

I estimated a discount grocery store this weekend, bids due on Friday. Sent bids in for two discount stores last week.

Last edited:

xcavate

These things are really easy to install. I have done 100s of them.

On a big system like yours you need to dig the bottom and grade the stone as you go to the bottom of chamber grade on the shop drawing they give you. Then once the entire system to grade install the chamber all at once so you can move them around to line them all up and do the fabric on the isolator row. Then stone and backfill your way across the system. In the installation manual there is a table on how much backfill you need for certain machines. I generally like to do the 6" of stone on top and 2' of fill before I walk the machine on it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Landclearer I plan on using my 953 to dig the hole since it's in a parking lot and easy excavation, so should I go a 1' or 2' outside the stakes. I don't want to over excavate too much since it has to be backfilled with stone. Turbo I like the stone slinger idea but they are as rare as spider hoes around this area. CD to answer your question there are 14 chambers in 6 rows. I had the whole system priced by the manufacturer including all fabric spec'd. They make the chambers over in MS.

Thanks for the advice excavate. That's what I was planning on doing, excavate down to sub-grade, bring the stone base in, install the whole system and then backfill.

The cross-section calls for 6" stone base, chambers and backfill and another 6" stone above the chambers. 18" to 2' of fill including the base and concrete paving above that.

Landclearer

Hi CM,

I would go about 8 inches outside the stakes. You do not need much. When we do them, the stakes are the exact corners so if it grows a little you will be shy on the size of the hole and once you have the fabric and rock in the hole you really don't want to try and dig more. By the way, it is nice to talk to another track loader man. We have a 963C and use it for clearing.

Chris

xcavate

I typically do my own layout as the engineers dont tend to calculate everything exact enough. The isolater row is normally between two manholes so I use that as my reference and do my own layout from there. I tend to overdig the system as its a pain to go back in later to make it bigger.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Hi CM,

I would go about 8 inches outside the stakes. You do not need much. When we do them, the stakes are the exact corners so if it grows a little you will be shy on the size of the hole and once you have the fabric and rock in the hole you really don't want to try and dig more. By the way, it is nice to talk to another track loader man. We have a 963C and use it for clearing.

Chris

Thanks for the advice. My track loader is my work horse, it's just a jack of most all trades.:thumbsup

I typically do my own layout as the engineers dont tend to calculate everything exact enough. The isolater row is normally between two manholes so I use that as my reference and do my own layout from there. I tend to overdig the system as its a pain to go back in later to make it bigger.

Good idea, I'll get the engineers to stake the system out and then do my own calculations after that as well. As has been stated, the last thing I want to do is get skinny on the hole after the rock is down.

This system doesn't have any manholes in the system itself which I thought was odd. There are 2 - 15" ADS pipes feeding the isolator row and one 15" ADS leaving the system going into a pre-cast inlet box with a weir wall. The inlet box is also a curb inlet. From there it ties into an existing curb inlet via 200' or so of 18" RCP.

xcavate

You might want to check with the ADS rep on the no manholes. The isolater row has a fabric that is supposed to catch the silt and normally there is a manhole at either end with a short piece of 24" in pipe. They even sell the endcaps for the chambers with a 24" pipe molded in just for this. This is so you can clean it out and maintain the system.The weir is normally set at the top of the chamber height.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
You might want to check with the ADS rep on the no manholes. The isolater row has a fabric that is supposed to catch the silt and normally there is a manhole at either end with a short piece of 24" in pipe. They even sell the endcaps for the chambers with a 24" pipe molded in just for this. This is so you can clean it out and maintain the system.The weir is normally set at the top of the chamber height.

We're going to have a pre-con meeting with the Rep prior to installation. I got a package price for the whole system when I bid the job, so I am covered for all the parts and pieces. There must be a clean-out manhole on the isolator row as you said in order to clean the system out, I thought it was strange not to see one. That will make the two 15" lines tie ins easier.

The masons are coming in Monday to start laying the walls for the building and this system is right in the way of course, so I am putting off the installation until they are topped out on that side of the building which will probably take 2 weeks. I have an industrial demo to do by the middle of April so we'll pull off and go take care of that while the masons finish.

thechamberdude

StormChamber as an alternate to the StormTech system

I wanted to share www.stormchambers.com with you. Ths system is considered an alternate to the StormTech system. Feel free to reach out to obtain a quote and to learn about all of the indirect cost savings when using StormChamber. Free design assistance is alway provided.

I am performing the site work for a new retail auto parts HUB store, it's a larger distribution store that sends parts out to the satellite stores. If you have ordered a part at the local store and they tell you they can have it by 3 PM or so, this is where it comes from.

Anyway, it has a Stormtech underground retention system. I have not done one of these before but it seems straight forward in design and installation. The local ADS rep will be on-hand for a pre-con meeting and to walk us through installation if needed.

Who else has done one of the these systems? What are the tricks/tips?

There will be a geo tech check our sub-grade, base stone and backfill. The civil/surveyor will check all elevations and inverts before we backfill.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Welcome to the Forums chamberdude.

Take a moment to read the forum rules - https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...Equipment-Forums-Rules-and-Posting-Guidelines

Specifically this section -

Advertising of goods and services are not permitted unless sponsoring heavyequipmentforums.com. A vendor of goods or services may start one introductory thread explaining their product or service and may answer questions about such within that thread. No further promotion of your product or service may be made without sponsorship. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor, click “Contact Us” at the bottom of any page.

This post is your freebie and feel free to discuss your product in this thread only, thanks in advance.

Now to answer your question, I just put it what's spec'd. This is a very large national company with a design engineer that had the ball rolling on this project before I even knew about it.

thechamberdude

Thanks CM for the link to the forum rules.

StormChamber can value engineer any project that requires underground storage. We will obtain permission from the engineer to use StormChamber as an alternate before providing you with a quote and design.

StormChamber exceeds the required H20 wheel load rating by over four times while other plastic chambers only meet this rating.

Fewer parts and less labor will give you a lesser installed cost.

Welcome to the Forums chamberdude.

Take a moment to read the forum rules - https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...Equipment-Forums-Rules-and-Posting-Guidelines

Specifically this section -

This post is your freebie and feel free to discuss your product in this thread only, thanks in advance.

Now to answer your question, I just put it what's spec'd. This is a very large national company with a design engineer that had the ball rolling on this project before I even knew about it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Thanks for the info chamberdude, I'll keep that in mind on the next one. This is a fast paced job and to approve an alternate wouldn't have fit the schedule.

I have a meeting with the Engineer tomorrow and the chambers are being delivered as well. Thanks for all the advice, we laid the excavation out and added 1' to the box. I'll double check the measurements and the GC wants the surveyors to verify elevations and location before we start.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Thought I would update with some pics.

Running the 15" ADS line from a curb inlet into the eastern inlet to the system

Running front line to storm tech.jpg

All the roof leaders flow into the system as well. This is a 15" line running into the western inlet to the system. The building is 18K sf with another building approx. 6' lower on the adjacent lot. This will keep from flooding the neighbors. Had to go under the building sewer.
Roof leader to stormtech.jpg

The ol' workhorse earning her keep, once again, digging the basin out for the system.;) Notice the redneck rebar safety cap on the corner pin.:D

Digging stormtech pit.jpg

I thought this was a neat pic, catching the stone falling from the bucket. This line was on the side of the building, it doesn't connect to the system. Rented a 308DCR for that section as access was limited. I was impressed with that little tractor, it lifted and set a 4'x4' pre-cast knock-out box.

Gravel falling from bucket.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
So we have had a few good days. Lost yesterday due to waiting on the two isolator row structures that were left off the first shipment.:Banghead

Fabric down

Fabric down.jpg

Gravel going in, the love/hated T250 earning it's keep once again.

Gravel going in.jpg

Isolator row. The 12 year old 334 mini still earning it's keep as well.

Isolator row.jpg

4 of the 6 rows down, that was the end of work today.

Rows going in.jpg

The biggest PITA was setting the isolator row structure. We ran the two 15" lines to the area of the chamber and had to match those inverts with the elevation of the top of gravel. I know it would have been easier to set the structures first and then run the pipe but that didn't fit the schedule.

Other than that it's a pretty simple/easy system to install. The chambers go in rather quickly. We borrowed the GC's forklift to set the pallets down into the hole and placed them from there. This is something I will bid in the future as there is money to be made installing these systems.

They sent the wrong end caps, the invert for the 15" pipe were at the bottom of the chamber. The problem is the isolator row is 9" below the invert for the other rows. So we are getting regular end cabs and having to "field cut" (don't you just love that term :rolleyes:) and install 10 end caps. The last pic shows the 9" difference in elevation from the pre-fab'd end caps and where the invert should be - the first row after the isolator row covered in fabric.