• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Steel mill heavy equipment

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
Well there ya go, learn something new every day. I stand corrected.

brynbaily

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Slagpot, do you work for Charleston Mill Service? I worked in a mill as a utility guy up here back in 07' for a short time. Couple friends of mine are still pot carriers there. Here are a few pics from my collection. Its dirty, dangerous work; not like heavy equipment isn't dangerous enough! I've herd several horror stores while there.

Attachments

• potA.jpg
    potA.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 7,249
  • potB.jpg
    potB.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 5,081
Last edited:

nzpatch

wow you would have to be on your game getting out without getting burn't!!
what happen's if you blow a hose???

NL1CAT

Occupation
Operator

Then you get some special effects... :eek:
We've got a fire distinguisher system on the machines that do hot work and flame retardant hydro oil in them (doubt if that's gonna work)

Now that I said that maybe I have to try and trow some flame retardant oil on the hot slagpit and see what happens :drinkup

slagpot

Slagpot, do you work for Charleston Mill Service? I worked in a mill as a utility guy up here back in 07' for a short time. Couple friends of mine are still pot carriers there. Here are a few pics from my collection. Its dirty, dangerous work; not like heavy equipment isn't dangerous enough! I've herd several horror stores while there.

Nope never worked in a mill. I did however work for Alcan rolled products in Oswego,NY.Thats what got me intrested in steel mills and the like.

My late Uncle worked for Gulf states steel in Gadsden,Ala. He told me many horror storys. Didn't seem like a place I wanted to work at the time.

Slagpot

BSAA65LB

Occupation
Retired!
Some more pics of Gradall's starting to work in various mills.

Using a core drill in a tap hole:

Attachments

• core drill final.jpg
    core drill final.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3,322
  • core drill.jpg
    core drill.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 3,408

BSAA65LB

Occupation
Retired!
And a few more, ladle work with a rubber tired machine being most of these pictures:

Attachments

• P1000304.jpg
    P1000304.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 3,275
  • P1000305.JPG
    P1000305.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 3,307
  • P1000303.jpg
    P1000303.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 3,262
  • DSC00562.JPG
    DSC00562.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 3,338
  • DSC00560.JPG
    DSC00560.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 3,253

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator

If its a radiator hose you have a sauna, if its a hydraulic pipe you fry! :eek:

Jeez that aint funny. :mad: sorry!

Great pictures of a world that I know nothing about other than the 973D pics that I have seen in C@t literature.

Its quite amasing what a scraper front can be adapted to :D

What sort of sizes and weights are those "slabs" as you boys in the know call um?

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
I remember when I was a young whipper snapper, I use to go for runs with my grandfather who was a truck driver for british steel out of Port Talbot Steel Works in Port Talbot, Wales,

So does this mean your another great Welsh export :D or did you visit from this side of the severn :drinkup

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
Your on the money there, 100% taff/great Welsh export! Dual citizenship now though (Australian/British) It will be 5 years next month. :D

Gavin84w

Most machines working in direct slag have to run glycol as hydraulic fluid, doesn't do the hyd pumps much good but no fires if you blow a hyd line out towards the bucket etc.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Most machines working in direct slag have to run glycol as hydraulic fluid, doesn't do the hyd pumps much good but no fires if you blow a hyd line out towards the bucket etc.

That's what they use in the equipment around the Alcoa Plant smelters near me Gavin. It does it's intended purpose of being fireproof, but it's a mess for pumps, control valves, and hyd components. If a machine sat for a period of time not being used, the water in the fluid would settle in a control valve and the oxygen in the water would cause the steel on the inside of the valve to begin rusting. Fire the machine up to use it, and you find valves that are stuck. :Banghead

BSAA65LB

Occupation
Retired!
Glycol based fire resistant fluids have been used for a long time. Noticed I said fire resistant :eek: it will burn too if enough heat is applied. The newer glycol formulations are a bit easier on the system, but still generate a large amount of varnish in the hydraulic system that wears things out.

Probably the best fire resistant fluid is EcoSafe. Gives nearly the same life of hydraulic bits as does normal hydraulic fluid. Down side, EcoSafe doesn't play well with ANY other fluid in the hydraulic system :eek: Better have a clean system when filling with EcoSafe, if not, be prepared for a mess.....foams up like a poorly poured beer :rolleyes: It can be cleared up, but takes soem time and effort.....

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Your on the money there, 100% taff/great Welsh export! Dual citizenship now though (Australian/British) It will be 5 years next month. :D

Congratulations :drinkup I have a very good mate ( almost a brother ) who posponed starting a family while spending almost 3 yrs jumping through hoops to emigrate back in 1988. He only stayed 16wks :eek: just could not settle. :beatsme

Wow, thats a new one on me. Does make perfect sense though, a hyd hose blowing over that slag would turn you into a fireball I imagine.

Dan Da Man

Slag Pots in Holland

Well a guy at work told me he had seen this on the utube , but I never found it..
We do the rail slag-pot track gantry crane slagpit method at Corus steel in Holland (Harsco metals).

Hi Guys I am new to this forum but I thought you might like to see some of my pictures from the mills around Europe etc

Including the Slag Pots in Holland Corus

Once I work out how to upload pics

Dan

slagpot

Hi Guys I am new to this forum but I thought you might like to see some of my pictures from the mills around Europe etc

Including the Slag Pots in Holland Corus

Once I work out how to upload pics

Dan

Dan,

Welcome to the board !!! Please do post more pictures. I think I have a picture of the gantry crane at corus. Dunno have so many and it takes time to find them.

Slagpot