• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Steam cleaning pickup trucks. Done in the industry?

check

But if the engine is at operating temperature, then some parts are definitely going to be over 130 deg F.

So I am a little confused here. I should steam pressure wash with engine at operating temp, or shortly after I have been driving it a few miles? Or only Steam pressure wash only after it has been sitting overnight and before I drive the truck ?
I would get readings on the manifolds and not wash it until it gets down to 130.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
When I started in this business and made it to the second wrung of the future mechanic ladder with was steam cleaning instead of pushing a broom and dumping garbage cans, we had a real steam cleaner. It was a diesel fired furnace and about 500 pounds of pipe held vertically in what looked like a recoil spring standing on its tail. Had to drag around 75 feet of pressure hose and handle a wand with a big hand hold that looked like an oversized M16 hand guard. The back handle was a piece of bar stock welded on the steam pipe so that you could hold on a little longer before the heat started burning through the rubber gloves you had to use. When the monster worked right it was all you could do to hold on and you got tired pretty quick when crawling all over an L90 Wagner stacker. You toughed up pretty quick to it because you couldn't put the lance down until the fire was put out and the pressure dropped to fire hose levels and was wet. No one seemed to care about anything that got washed with that fire breathing snake. It was the only thing that cut the open gear dope on the shovels and the pounds of wood fiber encrusted sludge that grease became on the stackers. I didn't use it on gas engines though. The steam would get into the distributor cap and wet things out. Happened to me twice on a couple of fork lifts.
Today's stuff is pretty well sealed and I use a cold water pressure washer on my Toyotas. Never had a problem. I've heard about problems on the 6.9 and 7.3 fuel pumps and governors if pressure washing them warm. I think the maintenance book in both the trucks I drove made mention of the issue.

mitch504

Mack's troubleshooting procedure for VMAC pumps includes 5 gallons of cold water in an open top bucket dumped, not poured, onto an operating injector pump...

Truck Shop

We have a Landa hot pressure washer, burns diesel. I wash engines and engine compartments all the time and never a issue. I prefer to wash them while the engine is still warmed up, makes the
grime come off easier. but it is mainly used for washing out refer trailers. But I never wash one that's just come off the road.