• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

standyne injector pump

black60church

I have a 4.5 john deere motor in a bulldozer with a standyne injector pump with electric shut off. I bought a pump off of a 4.5 john deere motor that ran a generator and installed it it starts and runs perfect but will not open up enough it opoens sbout half does any one know if I can set the fuel up while pump is on engine and how to do it thanks

02Dmax

It's probably going to have to come off and go to an injection shop. It's most likely more than just adjustments. It probably has a totally different governor setup or distributor ring in it.

What was wrong with the old pump?

JustinG

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic, Cummins
I believe most generators are set differently than engines that is in equipment. The generators I've been around are set at 1800 rpm. The pump should have some kind of cover plate. The adjustment screw should be behind the cover. I've turned a few pumps up with them on the engine. Not sure how easy your pump is to get to though. Could you not have had your old pump rebuilt?

JustinG

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic, Cummins
It's probably going to have to come off and go to an injection shop. It's most likely more than just adjustments. It probably has a totally different governor setup or distributor ring in it.

What was wrong with the old pump?

Like he said, internals of pump might be set differently.

lantraxco

Generators usually run at a multiple of 60 cycles, typically 1,200 or 1,800, and tend to be tighter precision on holding that rpm. Probably would have been money ahead to just get a reman for the original.

black60church

my old pump was in bad shape I got a good deal on a pump with 40 hrs on it it says on there 1800 rpm the guy iu got it from said it should open faster than that. but I can still afford to go to injector pum place first the motor came off air compressor so that original pump probably would not have enough even if it had been good. thanks a lot does any one know what it cost to turn one up at a diesel shop

02Dmax

Any injection shop that knows what they're doing is going to tear it down, find out what's in it, then decide if it will work or if it needs different internals. I'd say you're looking at a minimum of $700. Probably more like 1500-1700 once they get in it and see what all they have to change.

I would definitely advise taking it to a shop though. Running it like you have it now could potentially damage your engine.