• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sprinter with service body

Nac

Occupation
Construction
What do you guys think/ know about this? Was thinking about getting one to replace my pickup truck. With the service body I can be more organized to carry tools and supplys compared to the tool box on my pickup where a lot of times you have to search to find something. I am getting prices but was told by a dealer scould be around 32,000 with the body.

Attachments

• sprinter.jpg
    sprinter.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 3,788

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Are you on a budget, why not a truck with a service body? I'm not familiar with them, but I'll ask some friends.

tylermckee

My boss just got a one ton chevy its got i think a 12 foot flat bed with tool boxes on each side on the deck and two more under the deck on each side. its got a nice heavy duty rack that is designed so that you can still load with a forklift. its a really nice set up actually, and was only i think 32,000 out the door all taxes and everything. I'll see if i can find some pics of one.

crash935

Occupation
Co-Owner of Lakeland Transportation
One of the problems with the sprinter with any add on body is that if your a taller or larger person there isnt any room to tilt the seat back unlike if it was in the cargo body without the factory partition.

What about the same truck with the cargo body with the taller roof and shelving inside? I built many with shelving from Adrian steel, plenty of room to stand up inside and alot more storage.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
I was thinking about it with the cargo body but i want to be able to put a fuel tank in and if I have to move my demo grapple for my 160 i can put inthe back more easy. I have a GMC pickup right now and my dad has a Ford I am not impressed with either one. Dont get me wrong the sprinter does not compare to the ford or gmd pickup it is diffrent type of vechical. But i like the GVW and the fuel economy with fuel prices on a upward trend. Th e only other thing I am considering is a 4500 with a service body but now it is a bigger vechical and more money

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
A local alarm company bought 3 of these as vans for service trucks and have had a lot of problems with them. I don't know the details, but they had so much trouble they sold them and went back to standard Dodge ram vans.

I know they've got 5 cylinder Mercedes diesels in them and it's a joint venture between the Diamler/Benz empire. I think parts are expensive and hard to come by if I recall the buzz correctly.

RyanCKing

I think the largest benifit is the better fuel mileage while still having a high GVWR. One problem ive seen with narrow service bodies is the bins and cabinets are very shallow compared to a 102" body.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
go with the 4500 if you can.....much more truck...not sure what your towing needs are but the sprinter can't do much according to an article I read....mileage was great however

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I would go with a 1 ton truck with a flatbed just like the picture that tylermckee posted. I was at the local Ford dealership last week looking at trucks, they had an '06 6.0 PSD manual tranny with 12 foot flatbed with the same setup as tyler's post with all the boxes made by Pro-Tech and it did have the overhead ladder rack for $27,999. Looked like a hell of a deal to me!

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I was told today that they are severely under powered and that they lacked a real durable chassis, but that is just word of mouth. IMO I would get that van before a Ford powerjoke the 6.0 is a POS. I don't know if Dodge pickup has a high enough GVW for you, but they lacking a good tranny. I love my 2500 GMC Duramax and with the Alison it puts GM on top IMO.
Here is a Sprinter forum if you red German http://www.2yoo.de/dr/sprinter/.

It just depends how hard you’re going to use it and the fact that the lack a 4WD option would kick it out of the running if I was you.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Well having a hard time finding a sprinter with a service body. The guy who told me about 32-33 never called me back and all the other dealers are telling me 30 just for a chassis even though if look online a chassis should max out at 25. So i am going to scratch that idea. I got a price on an 07 Isuzu NPR with a 11' service body for 37. I am looking into a fuso also what do you guys think about these two trucks?