• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

some work pictures

daterplant

Occupation
earthmoving repair business owner
I found that explaining to the customer what the job requires before hand, rather than surprise them after the job is completed, that the need for special tools is required. Some think it's all done magically.

Last edited:

norite

Nice Tom, I think I would recognize a bucket repaired by you anywhere.

Did you remove that curved side wear plate where the side meets the floor before applying your "diamonds" or do you have a way to overlay it?

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.

Did you remove that curved side wear plate where the side meets the floor before applying your "diamonds" or do you have a way to overlay it?

I added a section to each side to have a flat surface for the wear blocks.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry

Does looks nice! Good to see people who take pride in their work. I know it's just a bucket to dig in the dirt but no reason it can't look nice when finished.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Damn Tom,we don't stand a chance,like I could do it anyway.Absolutely superb work.Thank you for sharing.Ron G

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Wow, your customers really get get the goody out of their sprockets!! Do you sell those undercarriage parts to your customers?....TIO

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Wow again,what nice work.I ran a Komatsu D21 for a spell with sprockets like that,you could not back uphill with it.Thanks Tom,impressive as usual.I broke a 1/2" flex handle bare handed taking it apart in the shop when we changed the undercarriage,a Craftsman too.LOL.Ron G

dirty4fun

Very impressive work that you do, Tom. Looks like new dentures were needed on those sprockets. Kind of hard to see the block under the machine so it looks like you are holding up with your crane. Thanks for sharing!

TOM V

Occupation
Wow, your customers really get get the goody out of their sprockets!! Do you sell those undercarriage parts to your customers?....TIO

Joe, the only parts I sold on this job were the two guide plates that I made, this customer opted for the china undercarriage parts that I will not sell.

ETER

Tom I have read up on your "work pictures" thread over the past several months and always enjoy seeing your work, it's very educational and thanks for taking the time to continue to post. Without trying to open up a can of worms... is it that you won't "re-sell" the chinese parts due to warranty concerns? I ask because over the past couple of years I have been purchasing aftermarket undercarriage parts from a vendor based on reduced repair costs to the customer. I always give the customer both OEM and aftermarket numbers and let them make the decision. Of course most aftermarket parts are chinese, korean, ect., but so far have not had to do any undercarriage warranty re-work (knock on wood) due to inferior replacement parts. I have however learned the hard way on aftermarket headgaskets, (without naming brands/vendors) and strongly discourage my customers from wanting to go with just to save a few bucks.
Regards, Bob

TOM V

Occupation
Tom I have read up on your "work pictures" thread over the past several months and always enjoy seeing your work, it's very educational and thanks for taking the time to continue to post. Without trying to open up a can of worms... is it that you won't "re-sell" the chinese parts due to warranty concerns? I ask because over the past couple of years I have been purchasing aftermarket undercarriage parts from a vendor based on reduced repair costs to the customer. I always give the customer both OEM and aftermarket numbers and let them make the decision. Of course most aftermarket parts are chinese, korean, ect., but so far have not had to do any undercarriage warranty re-work (knock on wood) due to inferior replacement parts. I have however learned the hard way on aftermarket headgaskets, (without naming brands/vendors) and strongly discourage my customers from wanting to go with just to save a few bucks.
Regards, Bob

Thanks Bob, I'm glad you enjoy the pictures but to answer your question in regards to aftermarket parts sales, I would sell BERCO or ITM but not the china. I have seen many premature failures in the last few years and I don't want to be the one selling that garbage. A few years back I installed a complete undercarriage on a D5H and before I left every bottom roll except one was leaking. I hope that answers your question.
Thanks and regards Tom

ETER

That makes sense Tom, if you have been bit by a specific product you will tend to stay away from it. I read some older threads yesterday on undercarriage manufacturers and brands. The whole industry seems very intertwined and convoluted.
Regards, Bob

CaptainAnalyzer

Occupation
Young business owner
4df3513dc0858736a037252951d336fc.jpg