• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

some work pictures

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
tom v I know i have seen where you talked about the hydraulic torque wrench but I can't seem to find the post. I am thinking about picking one up for the tool box after torqueing new U bolts on a center point trailer suspension last week. we have trucks ,trailers, loaders ,excavators, crushers and what ever else I drag home from the auctions. what do you recommend I'am thinking 1"drive and that looks to run about 3,000pds brand,power unit etc. got some enterpact hand pump for port powers.

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
tom v I know i have seen where you talked about the hydraulic torque wrench but I can't seem to find the post. I am thinking about picking one up for the tool box after torqueing new U bolts on a center point trailer suspension last week. we have trucks ,trailers, loaders ,excavators, crushers and what ever else I drag home from the auctions. what do you recommend I'am thinking 1"drive and that looks to run about 3,000pds brand,power unit etc. got some enterpact hand pump for port powers.

Clinton, I use a HYTORC SST-10 pump, MXT-3 1" drive that has a 3200 lb ft capacity and an AVANTI-10
1 1/2" drive that has a 11700 lb ft capacity. As far as a pump goes you need 2 ports and the proper valving to advance and retract the wrench.

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
Great photo's Tom, your work is always clean and crisp and NEAT.

Two questions,
1) can the pump for the hollow core cylinders be used for the hydraulic torque wrench?
2) what ratio do you recommend for the hydraulic torque wrench tightening verses loosening; that is if the torque value is 2,800 foot pounds to tighten the fastener, how much torque would be necessary to loosen the fastener?

Thanks,
Bob McCloskey

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
Great photo's Tom, your work is always clean and crisp and NEAT.

Two questions,
1) can the pump for the hollow core cylinders be used for the hydraulic torque wrench?
2) what ratio do you recommend for the hydraulic torque wrench tightening verses loosening; that is if the torque value is 2,800 foot pounds to tighten the fastener, how much torque would be necessary to loosen the fastener?

Thanks,
Bob McCloskey

Bob, you could probably make your pump work but you need a way to control advance and retract for every wrench cycle, an adjustable relief valve to set your pressure to torque table and 2 ports for twin hose connection. I hope that answers that question, as far as loosening I set the relief to 10000 psi so wrench has maximum torque.

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Tom thanks for the reply, my question is, if the maximum torque requirement for the cylinder rod nuts is 2,000 foot pounds what capacity hydraulic torque wrench would, in your opinion, be needed to loosen them. I would hate to by a 3,200 foot pound unit and find that I need a 6,000 foot pound unit to break the nuts/bolts loose.

I own Caterpillar 977L, 938G, D8K, D4G, 321C and two Dynahoe 290's

BuMach

I have one from enerpac, and the roll of thumb is here twice the thightening torque for loosening bolt.
Mine only pulls 6000Nm at max.

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Thanks Tom.
Evidently the answer is twice the torque to tighten the fastener!
Info from member BuMach, as noted by Enerpac.
Bob

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
thanks , clint by the way love your truck looking for one similar for my mechanic

BuMach

Atleast thats what it can take to get a seased up bolt out.
I think for normal bolts which you just tightend it cant be that much since there should be any rust factor.

FSERVICE

just buy the 1 1/2" hytorq & you will be happy!! I have it & don't regret spending the money now;) at the time I was looking I thought id never make it pay for itself but its saved my butt many times over!! its got me jobs that no one else has the ability/tooling to do so I can charge accordingly!!!

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
FService,

So run me through the appropriate way to "charge accordingly" for special tooling. Do you bid this work? Is it a different hourly rate? I just want to be able to charge my " special tools" accordingly.....TIO

FSERVICE

FService,

So run me through the appropriate way to "charge accordingly" for special tooling. Do you bid this work? Is it a different hourly rate? I just want to be able to charge my " special tools" accordingly.....TIO

yes most of it is bid work. I have a place on my bills that says "misc charges" & I put the charge there for it.. I only charge extra for the hytorq wrench use & the track pin press use!! these were big investments & there has to be a charge for them & to be able to afford extras that go with them when somebody comes out with something new to get loose/remove!! my customers understand this charge cause they know I have the best speciality tools in this area!! you will have the odd customer that will fuss bout the charge but I usually don't want to work for them again anyway, let them call the dealer!!

Last edited:

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
FService
So in misc charges do you charge say like ($150 for track press day rent?). I do nearly 99% time and materials work. Thanks....TIO

BuMach

I would just charge othermaterials or something like that.
I usely do it like this.
If i got a day full with torqueing i just put hydraulic torque on the bill.
It all depends who the costumer is.
Just make sure that you get back your investment, cause its a couple off €1000,- overhere and people will pay extra if you are the guy who can get the job done, same as FSERVICE said.
Good luck with the investment!

FSERVICE

yes I just put pin press $xyz, whatever your charge is in the misc. charges line... & the same on the hytorq wrench. it has worked out well for me doing it this way.