• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

some work pictures

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
A few more, the 325C ended up with a new final drive.
IMAG0037.jpgIMAG0041.jpgIMAG0043.jpgIMAG0045.jpgIMAG0046.jpg
The L90 needs some line boring, the lower pins were falling out, the upper was froze in, 30 ton of force and a wack with a 20lb hammer before it would move.

TOM V

Occupation
Ray, all the L90,L120 quick coupler frames I've line bored in the past were fabricated, I was going to bore and bush this one.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Bore and bush will work OK. It may well be cast steel and be easily weldable. Drill a small hole somewhere it don't matter and see if there is any graphite in the swarf. (unless you are set on bushing it):)

Per Eriksson

It's no problem welding on them, the upper pins that the worktool connects to are welded to the casting for example.

SE-Ia Cowman

Welding may not be a problem but welding and machining will be if it is cast. The wrong wire or rod on cast and you end up with a weld just a bit harder than a dimond.
Tom have you ever used any rockmount brand welding rod? They have a product called jupiter aaa for cast iron, That I have welded and machined quite a bit and it works well, it would of course mean welding by hand.
Tom how many boring jobs do you do a week or month? I bought a boring machine a month ago and realy enjoy that kind of work.
Great work you do keep it up.

Swamp rat

Tom , on post # 699 you replaced a cutting edge on a EC88 bucket - is that a hardened edge that you was drilling with the mag drill? Can you give some information as to the bit you was using . Thanks

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
If as Per Eriksson says the pins are welded in its going to be OK to weld and machine it. A good idea if I can suggest to Tom who is a pro,is to take a cut through the bores before welding. Thats if he wants to weld it.;)

Coondog

I bet Tom has it figured out. I believe I am going to try and rig up a truck like yours Tom, however I believe I will start with a 90's model kw. Pockets are still pretty shallow yet. I am having trouble locating an enormous service body like that. I currently run a Int 4900 with a dt530. Good truck but gonna need another one soon as I am growing at a decent rate. Figured iwould start early instead of having to have it right away. Do you know a manufacturers who built those beds so I can maybe find a used one somewheres?

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Ray, all the L90,L120 quick coupler frames I've line bored in the past were fabricated, I was going to bore and bush this one.

Hi Tom, I have bored and welded dozens of these coupler frames, they do weld ok without the weld hardening! i do all the line boring for a second hand Volvo dealer here and have seen some of these in real bad shape!

great work as always

Aiden

Huntoon

Occupation
Sales Engineer. I design OEM tracked undercarriage
Hey Tom, what kind of hyd motor was plugged into the 325C final drive?

Thanks.

TOM V

Occupation
Tom , on post # 699 you replaced a cutting edge on a EC88 bucket - is that a hardened edge that you was drilling with the mag drill? Can you give some information as to the bit you was using . Thanks

The cutting edge was a Bucyrus blades 3/4"x6" beveled cutting edge, I don't know how hard that one is but I have drilled Hardox 450 before with out any problems. The annular cutters I use for drilling hard materials are M42 Tin coated and carbide cutters.

TOM V

Occupation
Ohiofleet, the grease pump in the picture was the customers but I do have 2 of those pumps. If your looking to buy one I think Caterpillar still has them available, p/n 7H-1660, Alemite may still have them also.

TOM V

Occupation
Hey Tom, what kind of hyd motor was plugged into the 325C final drive?

Thanks.
I really did not pay attention to the travel motor other than making sure it was clean at assembly time.

TOM V

Occupation
Originally I was going to bore and bush this, force of habit with castings.
IMAG0053.jpgIMAG0054.jpgIMAG0058.jpgIMAG0059.jpgIMAG0060.jpg
The bores came out fine.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Yes good job. We learnt long ago to check the casting. I sent a man out years ago to do a link. He rang me and said he had welded the bores and when he went to cut them they were like glass.:( We checked all castings after that.