• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

some track press bragging rights

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Was asked to insert some track links on a D11T the other day.
Never done links on a dozer before, certainly not that big.
Job went well right up to the point of joining the repair links with the original track... customer had supplied genuine cat parts but the tracks were berco units... Not compatable...
Waiting for parts!upload_2021-3-7_10-35-0.pngupload_2021-3-7_10-35-25.pngupload_2021-3-7_10-35-56.pngupload_2021-3-7_10-35-0.png upload_2021-3-7_10-35-0.png upload_2021-3-7_10-35-25.png upload_2021-3-7_10-35-56.png

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Why are links being installed? Not my expertise but I've only ever heard about taking a link out when the rails were wore so bad there was no adjustment left.

Edit: OOPS, I see the broken links now. What caused them to break like that?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Is that in the oil patch, or up north? Never been out west, wondering if that is the oil on top of the ground, that they talk about.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Go big or go home!
Simonsrplant took that old saying, literally. Must be in the oil sands. Great pictures.

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
The machine is around sparwood BC working with coal.
Undercarriage is not essentially worn out, exact hours unknown.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The machine is around sparwood BC working with coal.
Undercarriage is not essentially worn out, exact hours unknown.
Even less reason why they shouldn't have a spare set of tracks to wrap on it while the broken track pin(s) are fixed. That machine will probably cost anywhere up to $1000 in lost productkion for every hour it's down.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
When I cared for the D11 doing reclaim work I BEGGED them to get me a spare set or even for one side. Hard to say how many days of work we lost due to track pins and bushings going south.

Weird thing is we had berco on it and replaced quite a few links, pins and bushings with Cat and didn’t have an interchange issue.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
A D9 is over a million now days. Probably add 300K more for a D10 and and 500K for a D11 I'm guessing. Getting close to 2 mil. I checked Machinery Trader for used and the there are two of 2018 vintage, both over 10K hours. First one asking 1.1 and the second ask 1 million. In general, a dozer will depreciate it's asking price 50% minimum in four years on single shift work.

Welder Dave

I thought most, if not all, aftermarket undercarriage is supposed to interchange with OEM? Most aftermarket specify it's a direct cross. A fully outfitted D11 with ripper, I could see being in the $1.75-$2 mil. Canadian range, maybe more. Approx. 30-35 years ago Finning auctioned off all of their old rental/lease fleet at Ritchie Bros. There was an original D10. Finning supplied a price list of what new machines were selling for and at that time a D10 with ripper was about $1.1 Mil. if I recall. I think just under a $1 mil. without the ripper. I believe it was the first D10 sold at auction in Canada and went for $285,000.

lantraxco

I thought most, if not all, aftermarket undercarriage is supposed to interchange with OEM? Most aftermarket specify it's a direct cross. A fully outfitted D11 with ripper, I could see being in the $1.75-$2 mil. Canadian range, maybe more. Approx. 30-35 years ago Finning auctioned off all of their old rental/lease fleet at Ritchie Bros. There was an original D10. Finning supplied a price list of what new machines were selling for and at that time a D10 with ripper was about $1.1 Mil. if I recall. I think just under a $1 mil. without the ripper. I believe it was the first D10 sold at auction in Canada and went for $285,000.
Interchange as an assembly, yes, internal design, parts, and dimensions may vary. In fact may be REQUIRED to vary due to patent infringement issues, though mostly that's an excuse to make the customer come back to you for spares.

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Parts have been sourced.
Customer has an after market dealer removing two links as an assembly from a track group.
Guessing individual links just be a ways out.
Should arrive tomorrow or Monday.
Pays to keep it genuine...