• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some random work pictures.

Lee-online

A couple more pics. Nothing too interesting. We are still swamped and are trying to get all the equipment fixed and sent out but as soon as we get one done, there is another one or four.

Delta cable layer getting a side frame repaired. A different machine compared to what we normally see. It is based on a D5C

delta 004a.jpg
delta 005a.jpg
delta 006a.jpg

930H needed a new torque converter.
930h.jpg
930h1.jpg

Lee-online

One last pic,

A 740 that had leaky duo-cone seals. These have been a problem on these truck and we have done a few updates trying to fix them in the past. Now we have installed the old style seal with an adapter. They should be good now.

To block the center axle, drive onto some 12x12 block under the axle you want to remove the wheels from. Then put some spacers on the rear walking beam in the stop area.

740.jpg

rare ss

One last pic,

A 740 that had leaky duo-cone seals. These have been a problem on these truck and we have done a few updates trying to fix them in the past. Now we have installed the old style seal with an adapter. They should be good now.

To block the center axle, drive onto some 12x12 block under the axle you want to remove the wheels from. Then put some spacers on the rear walking beam in the stop area.

View attachment 80621

yeh, the new style seals are heaps easier to fit but i dont think they seal as well as the earlier "O"ring type duo-cone retainers

Lee-online

330D came into the shop running rough. Customer stated push rod fell off, put back on and it keeps falling off.

A quick look showed the follower was not moving. I had seen this before so i just pulled the engine and then took it apart.

Found the follower had came apart, worn away and destroyed the cam and the bore it rides in in the block. Fine metal is everywhere in the engine. The HEUI pump and injectors are very susceptible to metal contamination in the oil. Priced it out and a new engine will be the best way to go if one is available.

330d 006a.jpg

Cam wore into the body of the follower after the roller broke off.
330d 005a.jpg

Block where the follower goes. it is chipped and worn away.
330d 009a.jpg

Cam lobe is worn off.
330d 013a.jpg

Lee-online

A couple more pics.

The cylinder was washed with fuel but it would be ok. Followers in a C9 have to have the head removed to remove them.
330d 008a.jpg

Head comes off with only disconnecting a few things.
330d 010a.jpg

Debris in oil pan.
330d 011a.jpg

While the engine is out, I'll put a new lip seal in the pump because it is starting to leak.
330d 014a.jpg

boone

Great thread. I love the behind the scenes look at what it takes to repair this heavy equip. You take this stuff apart like it's nothing!

Lee-online

Wow, its been a month sinse i posted some pics.

We are still busy at work, i am still working 10 to 15 hour days. The heat is really slowing me down.

And to make it a little harder for me to get on here my laptop died last week. I just picked up a new one today but it is a little different and is taking some time to get used to it.

Last edited:

Lee-online

775E

oil cooler failed and dumped all the coolant into the hyd system. It ruined the brakes and the system needs cleaned out.

Attachments

• IMG_0701a.jpg
    IMG_0701a.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,685
  • IMG_0703a1.jpg
    IMG_0703a1.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 1,704

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I give anyone working outside credit for being able to survive in this heat.I changed a timing belt in my K car last week,I thought that I was going to die.lol.My lady chased me around with a rag wiping my face so that I could see.It took me two days after running her errands and chasing parts.I have worked outside all my life but I think that I am getting old.Ron G

Lee-online

The days over 100 are brutal. Being inside helps because we dont have the sun beating us down and a fan helps keep the sweat out of your face.

I would prefere not to work on the bigger stuff. not only is everything big and heavy but the climbing wears me out, not to mention it is 20+ deg warmer up top neer the roof of the building

Randy88

Do you ever wonder if the stuff to fix will ever end, I at least get to go break the stuff myself once in a while, gives a change of pace anyhow.

Is most of the things you repair and replace from wear or neglect and abuse? I was just wondering seeing how you see it all from every aspect and avenue that comes along?

Thanks for sharing the photos with us, I agree as well it gives us a different side of the business than we generally don't see, my equipment isn't that big or new, my shop isn't as nice either, nor as clean as yours, my gosh you can actually see the floor in most of the photos, and its clean, again my hats off to you.

Lee-online

The things we repair are from warranty work, updates, failures, worn out due to age, worn out due to lack of maintenance and every other reason you can think of like fires, hitting bridges, roll overs. We even had a loader that had acid dumped in the hyd tank.

Some machines get turned around the same day, others a week or so and then there are ones the take a month of more. We have them parked outside waiting to come in and there ares ones coming to the shop, but only when they can get it in right away.

Every one of our branches is hiring, we had a guy start a couple weeks ago and are still looking for a couple more. Business is great, we are swamped, we had our best month ever and looks like this will be a great year.

Lee-online

420E with a vibration issue at roading speed. We tried the basics and could not fix it. A Cat engineer is working with us. He sent a new diff that didn't fix it. Now he sent a new trans that i am in the process of swapping. I also had to swap the diffs back.

Like any backhoe, put them as high as they go to give you the most room.
IMG_0710a.jpg

This is the first E model i have done. It is alot tighter than the C and D even with the rear axle out.
IMG_0711a.jpg

The old trans mounted to the jack. This is a power shift trans.
IMG_0708a.jpg

Brand new trans. Only cost 16K, our cost.
IMG_0709a.jpg

IMG_0717a.jpg

Lee-online

D8T that burnt is finally getting fixed. Pictures are a few pages back.
Once the engine, rad cab and other damaged parts are removed the machine will get washed and painted where needed.

Pulled the sheet metal and cab
IMG_0712a.jpg

Pulled the pumps and torque. All will get replaced or rebuilt.
IMG_0713a.jpg

Engine is toast and will be scrapped.
IMG_0714a.jpg

All hoses and harnesses are damaged so will be replaced.
IMG_0715a.jpg

H160D hammer, we now install auto lubes on the bigger hammers.
IMG_0716a.jpg

Per Eriksson

The vibrating backhoe, I guess you swapped tires?

I like your shop, nice and big, ours are so small I had to park a D8T outside to have enough room to remove the trackframes and pull the pivot shaft that's beat to hell due to the machine being run with a busted shaft seal.
Not even asphalt or conrete, it's gravel ;-(

Lee-online

We changed the tires, changed the pressures, put turf style tires on from a roller, removed front, then rear drive shaft, swapped rear diff and now swapped trans.

After all this, still the same problem. ??????

Our shop is just big enough to put a 775 with the bed pinned up. A bigger shop would be better but we can get by with what we have.