• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some random work pictures.

OldandWorn

We changed the tires, changed the pressures, put turf style tires on from a roller, removed front, then rear drive shaft, swapped rear diff and now swapped trans.

After all this, still the same problem. ??????

Our shop is just big enough to put a 775 with the bed pinned up. A bigger shop would be better but we can get by with what we have.

Has this problem been there since new? If you get the machine up to speed and then coast it does the vibration continue? I wonder if the front diff is doing something squirrely.

Lee-online

Has this problem been there since new? If you get the machine up to speed and then coast it does the vibration continue? I wonder if the front diff is doing something squirrely.
Machine is new, less than 200 hours and has been doing it since it was purchased. The vibe "feels" like it is coming from the rear. We took some more video of it and sent it to the engineer. They are now calling the shots of what we need to do.

Lee-online

Lee, what do you think of the auto lube, good points and bad?

Since we rent the hammers, now they should get greases. I know for a fact the hammers were not grease every hour of opperation because they would come back dry and the bushing would be worn. It was hard to prove it was not greased and so we took the hit on repairing them.

When we rent them we sent a few tubes of hammer paste along so hopefully they get changed out when they are empty.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
What powers the autolube system?All you have is hydraulics on the hammer it appears.Does it have a timer or how do you regulate the frequency of the lube dispenser?Thanks,Ron G

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Lee, thanks for posting the very interesting pics of your work. Some may come in handy if/when I ever get around to building my minature Cat shop diorama. Any pics of fixtures, tools etc that would be easy to model cheerfully accepted!
I have a question about the military 621B's...the outfit I work for buys these when they can find them, and I was wondering....do you know why the military spec'd these things without a cushion hitch?
My employer buys these (typically low hour) and retro fits them with the cushion hitches. Just wondered why no cushion hitches if you knew. Maybe they didn't want to deal with the pressurized nitrogen system?
Thanks,
Alan627b

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
What powers the autolube system?All you have is hydraulics on the hammer it appears.Does it have a timer or how do you regulate the frequency of the lube dispenser?Thanks,Ron G

not sure if it's the same on the cat hammers, but the hammers we use that have auto lube systems on them I think have hydraulic line running to it, so every time the hammer fires and metered amount is released. I'm just an operator though, Lee probably knows better.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
not sure if it's the same on the cat hammers, but the hammers we use that have auto lube systems on them I think have hydraulic line running to it, so every time the hammer fires and metered amount is released. I'm just an operator though, Lee probably knows better.

Thats how the Rammer hammers work as far as i know! Also cat hammers used to be made by rammer as far as i know! not sure about now though!

My the way great photos Lee, keep up the good work

Aiden

Lee-online

yeah, thats how the hammers lube themselves.

As for the 621 not having cushion hitches, who knows, they were made in the early to mid 80's. It was probably a bean counter saving money.

Lee-online

963D, 6.6 common rail engine. The Fuel pump started to fail and shows signs of metal contamination so it needs the pump, rail, injectors and lines replaced.

It is a tight fit working through the access door. Removed the filters to see the pump I need to remove.
IMG_0701a.jpg

High pressure rail with the high pressure lines. These lines can only be used once.
IMG_0703a.jpg

Some of the stuff is off, in the process of removing the front cover to remove the pump. Still need to remove the injectors. If all the parts show up, should get it done tomorrow, depending on how late i stay.
IMG_0705a.jpg

Richardjw~

Out of interest what procedure do you use to determine/confirm the common rail pump & injectors need replacing?
Can you do it with a lap-top or do you need to put gauges in there and measure to see if you have excessive returns

Per Eriksson

Ever swapped pump on a C6.4 engine, like in a 320/323D? That made me wanna go on a engine designer killing spree.......

You can test the system with the computer and/or do a leakoff test from the injectors

Lee-online

Out of interest what procedure do you use to determine/confirm the common rail pump & injectors need replacing?
Can you do it with a lap-top or do you need to put gauges in there and measure to see if you have excessive returns

With this one, it was running rough, ET showed low fuel pressure, the relief was ok. The two check valves on the side of the pump were pulled and there was metal pieces in there. cleaned them and it ran better but through experience, when you find metal its just amatter of time before it fails. Any debris will erode the injectors due to the high pressure.

Checked the leak off and it was 60ml where spec is 30ml.

On the bottom of the pump you can see the return line where I checked the leak off.( black nipple) Remove the regular banjo bolt and add one from the leak off kit. Now all the leak off fuel comes out and can be measured.

Lee-online

Ever swapped pump on a C6.4 engine, like in a 320/323D? That made me wanna go on a engine designer killing spree.......

You can test the system with the computer and/or do a leakoff test from the injectors

Yeah, did a 320 with a 6.4. not fun.

4.4 and 6.4 have the pump on the right side and the 4.6 and 6.6 on the left. there is all kind of room next to the counterweight, but no, put the pump between the engine and the main valve.

Lee-online

couple more pics
New injectors, lines and rail all installed and snugged up before torquing.
IMG_0714a.jpg

Rocker shaft reinstalled and lash adjusted.
IMG_0715a.jpg

The smelly pig
IMG_0708a.jpg

Standing on the wood box working through the access door is doing my back in.
IMG_0707a.jpg