• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some random work pictures.

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
Nige
I worked on a fleet of Cat 779 end dumps in the late 60's they were powered by that awful D348 pushing 990 hp DC generator and traction motors in each rear wheel , what are the power plants on the 789's and larger. I'm unable to travel to any of the coal mines south off me to watch them. Was able to watch the large trucks a Bingham Canyon Utah about 15 years ago but couldn't get close.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
D348 - happy memories (not!) of rolling in crankshaft shell bearings when the first model of the 777 had that POS engine. Actually on one job where we were hauling downhill loaded we ended up with quite a bit of success with it once we knocked the BHP from 875 back to 750. Engine oil pumps were also an Achilles Heel IIRC.

The 89 has a fairly low horsepower 3516 installed in it - only 1900 gross BHP.
We have some 3516C engines in gen sets here that are rated at 3500 BHP ..........!!

Haven't given up on trying to get you some photos of the early electric-drive trucks.

Mr. Butcher.

Lee, what a cracking thread and thanks for taking the time to shoot the pics, I bet your a happy chap in his work! I wish the firm I work for would get into some in depth repairs but it seems to be farmed out to main dealer as of lately, but we live in hope:rolleyes: keep up the good work and looking forward to the next load of photos of Proper work!

Lee-online

621B is almost done. Just put the engine back in and connected everything, just need the rad, fluids and some testing before it goes to paint.
621b 005a.jpg

621b 008a.jpg

To the right of the 621 is a 992g getting a powertrain rebuild.
621b 010a.jpg

And to the left is a 988G that just got a new powertrain.
621b 009a.jpg

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Did you rebuild the hich on the 621? I havn't done many 21's but more 630 series than I care to remember.
I got a call this morning to bore a 992G artic. I knocked it back,to old and stiff to climb up there:eek:

Nige

This is the latest challenge .............. now where exactly did I put the book of instructions on how to put it together ..?

View attachment 85506View attachment 85507

Forgot to post any updates on this that I posted on the previous page ........... see below. Now all I have to do is wait for the other 15 that will be arriving from June onwards .....!!

Truck 417.JPG

Nige

It won't stop anything if you try to drive over it, but if the park brake were to fail then that "tiny little chock" (it's actually about 11" high and weighs almost 40 pounds) will actually stop the machine from moving. What you may also have missed is that there are 2 chocks - one each side. The more normal parking practice is to use a grader to create a ditch and then park the front wheels in the ditch. No need for chocks at all then.

http://www.checkersindustrial.com/product.php?id=110

Last edited:

Nige

Very cool thread, I am amazed by how far they can tear a machine down and have it still be cheaper to rebuild than to build a new one.
A full "Certified Rebuild" done by a dealer will typically cost around 60% of the price of a new machine and at the end of it the machine in question gets a new Serial Number and a full new machine warranty. 2nd life will be the same as 1st life, whatever that was.

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
What!!! what a lack of any thing between the ears in the head.
This shows how bad the government is, laws that force the destruction of good machinery, I am referencing the engine blocks made before the emission laws. That engine block has value, but when you can print money out of thin air what does one expect.
What is coming next from all those sharp government people?

Occupation
ironworker
I've spent years workin in hydraulic shops, and seen some crazy things. Thankfully I've never seen a rotator group grenaded that bad. Somedbody spent some money to put this back in operation.