• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some Fabtek's and some Cats

surfer-joe

Where in the UP are you Dig-Up? I used to live, work, and hunt there. Still have relatives near Newberry and in Houghton. Nice to see some pictures of the woods there.

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
FYI your chain speed looks and sounds ok but your bar pressure seems a little low in the videos, but I'm sure you figured that one out already =D

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
Do you mainly cut hardwood or were you just playing with the trees closest to your yarding area?

Hardwood is always a pain in the behind with computerized processors, you have to be quick on those top knives to keep from splitting the whole darn tree in half when you get to weird bumbs or near the top.

We used to cut softwood and either leave the hardwood standing (if possible) or cut it up into whatever decent length we could get and haul it out so the landowner would get some cheap firewood.

I ran a Ranger 666 for a couple days in -35*c conditions hauling some pretty impressive sized saw cut hardwood out of a ravine. The company I was contracted to used two Rottne processors and all they cut was hardwood with them. They couldnt get down the steep bank to the really big stuff so they picked out the nice ones and felled them with a saw. I had fun either dragging them up the hill or snaking the mainline down through trees and fishing them up. It was a good exercise on using chokers for pullys to pull around trees etc.

I guess I was lucky, while I was half freezing in the open cab at least I had the engine heat (a little anyways). Poor SOB from the hardwood company broke his processor so they had him pulling chokers for me to save time =D

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Very cool. Thats whats great about this forum, getting to see the different machines around the country, or world for that matter, used to harvest timber.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That's only the second machine I've ever seen with that extending stick set up. That is the first Cat harvester of that type that I have ever seen including in pictures.

Thanks for the video link and the photos!